.

.

Monday, March 30, 2015

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

And Then There Were None is one of my favorite Agatha Christie books.  It's certainly one of her better known books.  I have read it multiple times and listened to it as well.  When I heard that Dan Stevens (yes, that Dan Stevens - Matthew from Downton Abbey) was narrating a new version of this book, I decided it was time to give it another listen.  And I totally enjoyed it.  Dan Stevens has a lovely voice, by the way, and he did a good job with multiple characters.

In case you don't know the story, And Then There Were None tells of 10 people who come to an island off the coast of Cornwall, I think.  Anyway, they had all been invited as a guest or hired by a couple, the Owens.  When it becomes clear the first evening that their host and hostess are delayed, the guests begin asking questions and it turns out that none of them have ever met the Owens, even the staff.  Later in the evening, everyone is startled to hear a voice, a recording, that accuses each person in the room of murder.  Naturally, everyone denies the charges, but before the evening is out, at least one person will die.  And there are more deaths to come.  Are the accusations true?  How does the rhyme framed above each of their bedroom fireplaces relate?  And how will they all get off the island when an awful storm comes up?  A lovely locked room mystery.  Such fun.

Ten little soldiers went out to dine;
One choked his little self and then there were nine....

This version has been updated a bit to be more suitable for today's audiences.  In this one, the island is known as Soldier Island and the rhyme references and little figurines that keep going missing are also soldiers.  I can go along with that.  The previous versions had words that were in the vernacular at that time, but not so much now.

And in case you're not familiar with a "locked room" mystery, it is one where the crime seems to have been impossible for someone to commit and get away or the pool of suspects is completely limited, like on an island or in a locked room.  Therefore, the murderer has to be among the characters...or does he or she?  That's the puzzle.


There have been at least two film adaptations of this book, one in 1945 called And Then There Were None, and one in 1965, entitled Ten Little Indians.  Each may or may not have changed the ending of the story.  I'm not telling.  I liked both films.  The second one was set in the winter in a mansion in the Alps and the characters had to get to the house by a sort of ski lift thing instead of by boat.

I also have read at least two books that are homages to Agatha Christie's tale.  One was a Young Adult book entitled Ten by Gretchen McNeil.  Teens at an island house party with a DVD that has a message:  vengeance is mine.  Also, Katherine Hall Page sets her 16th Faith Fairchild book, The Body in the Ivy, on an island with a college reunion.  Faith is catering and she finds her job is more dangerous than she thought since the guests are dying one by one.

One last movie I'll mention that isn't exactly like And Then There Were None, but it does include a group of famous literary sleuths who are invited to a mansion to solve a very strange mystery.  One of them will be murdered by midnight.  It's a comedy and one of my favorites - Murder By Death - featuring a much younger Maggie Smith as half of a detective couple, Dick and Dora Charleston.  See, another Downton Abbey connection.  If you've never seen this movie, you really should hunt it up.  It also include many other wonderful actors and Truman Capote as Lionel Twain, their host.

So, I've given you a look at where my mind runs when I'm rereading an old favorite and a classic.  Hope you find something you like.

38 comments:

  1. They all sound so good! I love reading "locked room" mystery. The intensity of it doubles, isn't it? I've AND THEN THERE WERE NONE in my pile. I'm really looking forward to reading it after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little different from other Christie books, but I like it a lot.

      Delete
  2. And Then There Were None is a great book! I love the simpleness of that mystery book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, simple in some ways. Complex in others. LOL

      Delete
  3. Think I have seen "Murder By Death". :-) It rings a bell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may well have. It's a comedy and was filmed in the '70's I think.

      Delete
  4. -clapping hands- Had to tell you! I am reading "Ammie, Come Home" by Barbara Michaels, which was #9 on your list of favorite books from your teen years.

    I am nearly done. Oh it is a good one!!! Thank you for introducing me to this book, of which I had never heard.

    Spooky, but interesting, and makes you question characters...

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how lovely, Tessa. So glad you are enjoying it.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any Agatha Christie in so long! I'm adding Murder by Death to my list of films to watch--love Maggie Smith in anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was good in this one. It's a comedy poking fun at a bunch of mystery sleuths. Lots of big name actors in it. Maggie's (or Dora) husband is Dick Charleston played by David Niven.

      Delete
  6. I had forgotten about The Body in the Ivy! That was one of my favorite Katherine Hall Pages. I should reread it since it's been so long and I remember very little about it. And Then There Were None is one of my favorite Agathas and this audio version sounds interesting. I like the updates they've made as that still fits. I love rereading this one as there's so many details that I always discover something new. I've seen the first movie you mention and I've also seen it in play form (and have decidedly mixed feelings about the ending) but I haven't seen Murder by Death. I'll have to see if Amazon has that one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I couldn't think of any more books that used the same device as the Christie book. Can you think of any? I liked both the books, even though they weren't quite as good.

      Delete
  7. I just finished And Then There Were None and had no idea it had been updated! Any idea where I can find an original version? I doubt there'll be too much difference, but I'm kind of bummed I didn't get the original experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget, I think the only thing I can tell that was updated was the name of the little "soldiers" and, of course, the name of the island. When I first read the book, it was also known as TEN LITTLE INDIANS. And the rhyme and island referred to 'Indians'. The original name was not one that I want to use here. You could likely Google it. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I am sure I read this one many many years ago, but my memory fails me. I want to someday read all the Agatha Christie books I didn't get to and re-read all the ones I did. Something like what Katherine's doing maybe, reading all her books. Maybe not in as organized a fashion though. :-)

    The idea of listening to this one being narrated by Dan Stevens is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, his voice was very nice. If you like Downton Abbey, it was like Matthew talking in your ear. LOL

      Delete
  9. I think I'll have to see if I can get a copy of Murder by Death - sounds like one I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a comedy that has some mystery included. Very much a farce.

      Delete
  10. I listened to a BBC audio drama of this on a plane ride. Best decision ever! Agatha Christie audios + planes = happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet that was fun. I can see how it would make a plane ride go smoother. LOL

      Delete
  11. I love all the Agatha Christies in audio! I haven't listened to And Then There Were None for a while. I think my copy is narrated by Hugh Fraser (I love his narration of the Poirot books, too). Murder by Death sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Hugh Fraser one was the one I'd heard before. Dan Stevens does a good job though.

      Delete
  12. I'll write more when I have time, but had to stop by and say how much I love your new header!!! I'm inspired to switch mine out again. Off to look at my pictures. Daisies... hmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les! I was inspired by spring. I love daisies. They are cheerful. Too this picture in Oregon, of course.

      Delete
    2. OK, I'm back. ;) All I really wanted to add is that I have never read anything by Agatha Christie! Do you have a favorite? Maybe I should wait, though, until I've read more from my other series... ;)

      Delete
    3. Well, my favorite overall sleuth is Miss Marple and I like all her books, but I really think my favorite Christie book of all is Murder on the Orient Express. That one is a Poirot book. Oh, and Death on the Nile - Poirot. You know, I bet your library has a bunch of them and they are usually not too long to listen. Or you could watch them. My favorite Miss Marple is Joan Hickson.

      Delete
  13. Yes! I also love this book by Agatha Christie!
    And I so much agree with you, Dan Stephens has a lovely voice! He is from Croydon, in England, which is where my husband hails from also!!
    (Dan Stephens was also in that last Night At The Museum movie, the one set in London...he was funny and good!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Kay, thanks for telling me about Croydon. Seems good guys come from there. I loved Dan on Downton Abbey and was very sad when he 'left'. Haven't seen the last Museum movie, but I'm sure we shall and I'll watch for him.

      Delete
  14. I have read maybe only two Agatha Christie books. I don't know why I never got into them, seeing as so many were. I was more into the Perry Mason books. I have been telling myself for a few years now that I need to read one of her books. But since there are so many, I never quite got to any. This one sounds just perfect and I would like to get started with this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think if you decide to try it. Good luck!

      Delete
  15. I loved And Then There Were None. Dan Stevens narrating is certainly reason enough for an audio reread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he has a lovely voice. Very nice. It helps that I loved Matthew. ;-)

      Delete
  16. I have a 1967 edition of what looks like, but probably isn't leather with gold lettering. Part of a collection of which I only have two of the books. I read it last year...again. I love Agatha Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read very few Agatha Christie books and this is one that I am sure I have somewhere in the bookshelves but haven't gotten to. I do love those "locked room" mysteries though. Oh and I loved that movie Murder By Death. I saw it ages ago. Should look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read this one if you haven't. And I'm glad someone remembered Murder By Death. A fun movie.

      Delete
  18. I remember watching Ten Little Indians in college and loving it. I have yet to read the book. Someday, hopefully. I think I've read 4 Christie novels and none of them have me rushing out to read the next although I always enjoy them when I pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are probably a little tame these days. And not every author or book is right for every person. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!