.

.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday - The Bitter Season



This is a weekly event that highlights a book we can't wait to be published.  It is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

I've read Tami Hoag's books for years, but I still have several to go on her backlist.  I really enjoyed her trilogy of books set in the 1980's in Oak Knoll, California.  The characters include a FBI agent that was supposed to be one of the first profilers.  I have meant to read the Sam Kovac/Nikki Liska books that begin with Ashes To Ashes.  Have not managed that yet, but the latest book featuring those characters is my book to highlight this week:




Publication Date:  January 12th

As the dreary, bitter weather of late fall descends on Minneapolis, Detective Nikki Liska is restless. After moving to the cold case squad in order to spend more time with her sons, she misses the rush of pulling an all-nighter, the sense of urgency of hunting a murderer on the loose.  Most of all she misses her old partner, Sam Kovac.  Sam is having an even harder time adjusting to Nikki's absence, saddled with a green new partner younger than pieces of Sam's wardrobe.  Sam is distracted from his troubles by an especially brutal double homicide: a middle-aged husband and wife bludgeoned and hacked to death in their home with a ceremonial Japanese samurai sword.  Nikki's case, the unsolved murder of a family man, community leader, and decorated sex crimes detective for the Minneapolis PD, is less of a distraction: Twenty years later, there is little hope for finding the killer who got away.

On the other end of the spectrum, Minneapolis resident Evi Burke has a life she only dreamed of as a kid in and out of foster homes: a beautiful home, a family, people who love her, a fulfilling job.  Little does she know that a danger from her past is stalking her perfect present.  A danger powerful enough to pull in both Kovac and Liska and destroy the perfect life she was never meant to have.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one...from an author I can't believe I haven't read yet...

    My WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/08/waiting-on-wednesday-new-kate-morton.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about Hoag's writing but haven't experienced it yet. It sounds like I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read several of Tami Hoag's books and really enjoyed them. The Bitter Season is one I haven't read, but it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must look into these, for my husband and his new Galaxy!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read a couple of her books and really like her writing, but for some reason, have fallen away from reading her. I may see what my library has as I remember really liking her style. This is a pretty cover and it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure I've ever really read a Tami Hoag. This sounds really good! I love that there's a cold case connection. That's my favorite kind of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh another Hoag! But not until January :(
    I have read every single one of her various detective series, and a few stand-alones but not the early romances. I just love her style of writing. You and I both are looking forward to this title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the first, Ashes to Ashes, a million years ago and loved it. Now I don't remember why I didn't continue!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!