.

.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

kay's week - 2.18.17



Hello everyone!  Hope you've all had a 'good enough' week and will have a relaxing couple of days this weekend.  Bet it might be a 3-day weekend for some with President's Day on Monday.  We got some rain this week - thunder woke me up one night, and finally, finally there is other pollen in the allergy report besides cedar pollen.  Sorry for the ash and oak pollen sufferers.  However, that means that my trials are coming to an end with allergies, until the fall anyway.


I've been reading...

I read three books this week - two were advance copies of books that have yet to be published, both on my Kindle - and one was an audio - a reread of a series that I intend to make my way through this year.

The Trophy Child is the newest book by Paula Daly and it will soon be published - March 7th, I believe.  I've read and enjoyed a couple of other books by this author - Just What Kind Of Mother Are You? and Keep Your Friends Close.  I liked The Trophy Child and recognized a couple of repeating characters from other books.  One was a police sergeant named Joanne and another was Joanne's aunt, Jacky.  There is also a character that is the kind of person everyone loves to hate - a 'tiger mother' named Karen.  There is a blended family and kids that are left out or left alone mostly, but also a kid that is the 'trophy' child.  Karen is determined that her younger child be given every advantage, every lesson, every skill, every thing and this all works until Bronte, the child, disappears.  And then things get strange.  Lots of drama and even a murder.  If you read it, let me know what you think.

The next book I read is by Hallie Ephron and entitled You'll Never Know, Dear.  What do you think about that cover?  Creepy doll, huh?  This book will not be published until early June, but I couldn't wait to read it.  Hallie Ephron (and yes, she is the sister of Nora Ephron) writes standalone mysteries that contain a lot of suspense and thrills.  The setting is South Carolina, which gives a gothic feel to the book.  In it, two little girls, sisters, are playing outside and the older one, Lissie, runs off after a puppy.  The younger sister, Janey, is gone when Lis returns, along with her handmade doll.  The girls' mother, Miss Sorrel, had made both girls a doll, unique to them.  No trace is ever found of Janey for over 30 years.  In the present day, Miss Sorrel advertises for information about Janey's doll, something she has done for many years on the anniversary of Janey's disappearance.  This year, a young woman brings a doll to show them, thinking it might be the advertised missing doll.  As the story unfolds, old secrets are revealed and everyone's lives are in danger.  What did happen to Janey so long ago?  If you like gothic stories, this is a good one.  Enjoyed it thoroughly and will be reading more of this author's books.

The only audio book that I got through this week was In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming.  This is a reread for me and it's the first book in the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne mystery series.  It was narrated by Suzanne Toren.  The only thing that bugged me a bit about it was the 'Southern' accent that the narrator used for Clare.  Sigh.  I didn't like that too much.  This series, which now has 8 books, is set in upstate New York.  Clare is an Episcopal priest and Russ is the chief of the Miller's Kill Police.  In the Bleak Midwinter begins with Clare discovering an abandoned baby on the steps of her church.  She and Russ try to find the child's parents, which is a difficult task.  The weather is cold and there is more than one murder.  Clare has not been a priest for very long and she's still finding her way in this new town.  The characters are believable and the setting is very vivid and cold, cold, cold.  I'm planning on reading this whole series this year, hoping that Julia Spencer-Fleming will have a new book for us before long.


Personally...

I missed a book group meeting on Tuesday afternoon, but I hadn't read the book anyway.  I did do my volunteer shift at the library yesterday.  And below, you can see what I received for Valentine's Day.  I love Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream and don't buy it very often these days.  It just hit the spot. Hubby got his own pint of some vanilla caramel thing.

I got a haircut on Thursday, from a different hair stylist that usual.  My normal hair stylist is being treated for breast cancer and had a mastectomy a couple of weeks ago.  She's doing well, but I did miss her.  The fill-in stylist was very nice, but after she cut my hair (which is very short), she kind of combed it all forward and I felt like I kind of looked like George Clooney in his earlier ER days.  Needless to say, I came home and washed my hair again and put it back the way I like it.  Ha!  My stylist is supposed to be back at work next month.  I hope so, though I do hope she takes her time with her recovery.

Have a good week, all.  Just say to yourself - SPRING IS COMING!  It is, you know.  Now to see if there is any of that Ben & Jerry's left...

    

50 comments:

  1. I've read The Trophy Child this week too Kay and like you was pleased to see Joanne Aspinall again. I always end up putting my hair back to the way I like it after a trip to the hairdresser haha! I love your Valentine's Day gift, I hope you aren't sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did not share. He had his own ice cream and no one else was here. LOL

      Delete
  2. Wowsers! You have been one prolific blogger! I LOVE it, but I simply can't keep up. Every post is chock-full of interesting books and thoughts. :)

    I read the first two in the Spencer-Fleming series. While I liked some of it, the relationship between the two main characters didn't sit well with me. I haven't continued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the relationship between Clare and Russ has bothered some. Somehow, it didn't bother me so much. Same goes for Elly Griffiths' characters, Ruth and Nelson. Not sure why.

      Delete
  3. You'll Never Know, Dear sounds good... and oddly, I like the creepy doll cover! Must be I'm in the mood for thrillers now, Behind Closed Doors is my current read.

    So stressful going to a new hair stylist... I'm trying to find someone down here, but it's hard. My last haircut was a little too short, and I also washed it and dried it the 'right' way when I got home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked the creepy doll cover too. What is it about dolls? My hair stylist is one I've gone to for close to 20 years. I never have to say anything - she just goes to work and we visit. I have saddened to learn of her illness, but very hopeful that she'll recover well.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you got in some good reading this week.

    I missed book club this week too because I got caught up at work.

    I hope your stylist recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have some good reading. So far, 2017 has been great in that regard and I'm moving some of my own books off the shelf. A big plus.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's my favorite. I always go back to it. Love it!

      Delete
  6. I read the first in the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series a few years ago. Wasn't Clare raised in the South? Not sure why I think that. I should pick up the second. Your ice cream treat sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Clare is from Virginia and so would have a Southern accent. I just wasn't all that pleased with the one the narrator used. It was a little over the top. And yet, all the upstate New York people had no accent - which I think they would - to my ears anyway. I, of course, have no accent at all. LOL

      Delete
  7. I read several of Julia Spencer-Fleming"s books several years ago, including In the Bleak Midwinter, and enjoyed each one. You'll Never Know, Dear sounds good, too; I love a good Gothic mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like that one, Jenclair. Especially with your crafting. Lots of doll making. And a mystery to boot.

      Delete
  8. Kay, I've read every single Julia Spencer-Fleming books in the series! I love her style & I like Clare's character very much... she becomes more 3 dimensional as time goes on. The books get more intense too, veering away from cozy-like to suspense.

    Too bad about the phony Southern accent used. By the way, I was born in NYC, have lived in 5 states over my adult life and never really lost my accent, lol! I get "outed" all the time. The same as with people with Southern accents, NYC folks get made fun of too. We also lived in upstate NY. They do not have a NYC accent, per se. It's more generic.

    I read all of Paula Daly's books so far, getting them every time from NetGalley. I accidentally reviewed this a long time ago when I received it, and I did like it, despite not liking the Tiger Mom character. I think I remember the ending wasn't that satisfactory for me, considering it's a stand-alone. The one title by her you didn't mention, The Mistake I Made, about the woman who has the affairs to get money, I didn't care for that one too much, but that's me.

    You'll Never Know, Dear sounds like it's right up my alley, so going on the wishlist now! Thanks for some good book discussion today. I always find that here on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about Spencer-Fleming books. I am a bit behind. Think I've read 4 of them previously. The Southern accent wasn't exactly phony, but it was exaggerated to me. I hate the accents that the characters use on NCIS New Orleans too, except for Christopher. That actor actually comes from Alabama. When I lived in Oregon, people were always asking if we were from Georgia. I would laugh and say 'no, those people have accents!'. I haven't read THE MISTAKE I MADE, but I do own it. Had heard a bit of mixed reactions to it, so I probably won't rush to it. And if you get a chance to read YOU'LL NEVER KNOW, DEAR, I thought it was very good.

      Delete
  9. I feel like we read In the Bleak Midwinter with Jamie...Let's remember to ask the group. lol Ditto on the cedar. Good riddance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The group may have read it. Probably when I was on my sabbatical. I do think I've talked about liking that series. Yes, the cedar can't leave fast enough for me.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read any of these, but the creepy doll book sounds especially good. I like gothic mysteries, so I'll definitely give it a go.

    Oh, and for what it's worth -- it doesn't get any hotter than early-ER George Clooney :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George was cute on ER, wasn't he? Though his character was easy to get frustrated with. And, believe me, GC's hair on me was not cute at all. LOL

      Delete
  11. Today I would say Summer is coming! Can you believe how hot it is today in Central Texas? Crazy. I hope your stylist is well soon. And that creepy doll cover book looks great. Hope you enjoy those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite warm. Turned the A/C back on - again.

      Delete
  12. I read a few books by Spencer-Fleming and enjoyed them Kay. You always seem to come across some good mysteries that I hadn't hear of as well. Hope you are having a good weekend and thank you for you sweet comment about Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding new mysteries is my 'job', right? LOL

      Delete
  13. You've reminded me to get back to JSF's books... I've read 3 or 4 and enjoy them very much.

    Cherry Garcia used to be my favourite flavour ice-cream until it stopped being available in the supermarket I used to get it from. Now I can't find it anywhere. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you can't find Cherry Garcia. Wish I could send you some. However...it might melt. LOL

      Delete
  14. I hope spring will be here soon. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it will be here soon in my part of the world. In yours - maybe a little longer, right? :-)

      Delete
  15. That book, "You'll Never Know" sounds really good!
    The creepy doll cover reminds me of "The Twilight Episode" where the doll says...oh I don't even want to say it, it scares me to this day! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that episode. Might have to go look for it. LOL

      Delete
  16. I've read a few of the Spencer-Fleming books but stopped. I can't remember what put me off but something did. I think it may have been the 24 hour book??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember where I got to in the series. Don't think I read the 24-hour book as yet.

      Delete
  17. I'm very intrigued with You'll Never Know, though I really don't do scary. It's hard to have a different hair person. I hope your stylist makes a quick recovery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all that scary. Just a mystery with family secrets. And my stylist seems to be doing well or so I've heard.

      Delete
  18. I haven't read a book by Paula Daly but I've heard her books are great! Now "You'll Never Know, Dear" sounds interesting and funnily that cover speaks to me despite the creepy factor. I'll have to add it to my wishlist for that gothic element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it, Melody. Also suspect you'd like the Paula Daly books.

      Delete
  19. Cherry Garcia is one of my faves; what a treat! We're starting to see lots of pollen around here, too, and my husband even had to mow the yard this weekend - I guess spring is here?? You'll Never Know, Dear sounds intriguing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, if yard mowing is involved, spring is here or just around the corner.

      Delete
  20. Not quite spring yet where I am, but we are getting a rare treat of 60-degree temps this week. My husband put the snowblower into storage and got to ride his motorcycle this weekend, so I just know we have one more good winter storm left this season. Which means my allergy season is still a little ways off, thank goodness.

    That Hallie Ephron cover! Creepy dolls never fail to give me the shivers. The story sounds good too. I initially passed on a copy of it, but I might have to rethink it now based on your comments.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Ephron story and am delighted that I have all the rest of her books to try. Yay!

      Delete
  21. The creepy book cover intrigues me. I wonder what means?!

    Looks like a great reading week - hope this week is just as grand :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cherrt Garcia is my second favorite ice cream - pralines and cream come first. Enjoy. I like your book choices this week. They all look like good reads. I agree with you on the Ephron sisters. They must have inherited a good writing gene.

    I like the sound of The Bleak Midwinter and the series. In particular, I like that the main character is an Episcopal priest. It should lead to some interesting plots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like the Spencer-Fleming series, Margot. Clare and Russ are great characters and there are lots of ethical dilemmas in the books. Pralines and cream ice cream sounds great!

      Delete
  23. I am glad your allergies are letting up some, Kay. I know how miserable allergies can be. :-( Yay for fitting in three books this past week! That's great, Kay.

    I'm pretty sure I have a copy of In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming around my house somewhere. One of these days I'll try the series.

    I am sorry to hear about your hair stylist's cancer battle. I am glad she seems to be doing better. I need to get my hair done this weekend. Mouse needs her bangs trimmed.

    Oh! I love Ben and Jerry's. Too much. I don't get to eat it often anymoret though.

    I hope you have a great week, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes for my hair stylist. I was so very sad to hear it and she and I talked about it quite a bit in the last few months. She did chemo first and then now mastectomy. Then will come radiation and then reconstruction. Quite a lot of medical stuff. She's tough though. Again, thanks!

      Delete
  24. I was in Texas once - and there was a terrible thunder storm that almost rocked me out of bed! All three books sound interesting, although I don't read too many series books. Have a great week Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely have some thunder-boomers. Ha! Glad you didn't get to witness a tornado!

      Delete
  25. You should have posted a photo of your George Clooney-like hair! I would have loved to see it. :-) I am going to miss my stylist when I move - she read my mind so well all the time. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a chance I was going to post that hair! It was...awful. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!