.

.

Friday, May 10, 2019

A little of this and that...yoga class and some book group reading...

So, I guess the question is, what have I been doing lately?  Well, several things.  Some more fun than others, but I was happy to find that my dentist appointment went very well on Wednesday.  They said I was taking good care of my teeth and they would see me in November.  Yay!  I'm good with that.  Ha!

I've continued my walking journey and have moved to the outside part of the time.  We're in storm season here in Central Texas right now.  May is usually a stormy month for us.  Rain, thunderstorms, even hail and tornadoes.  And then there is the flash flooding that accompanies those things.  Some days I walk outside and some days not.

I did come to realize that even though my legs and lower body strength is good from all the walking and some hiking, my upper body has lost not only weight but muscle mass.  I never thought of myself as particularly strong.  However, my age (61) and losing a lot of weight have taken a toll on my arms and shoulders.  I had heard about a very affordable and good yoga class at a local rec center from a friend at church.  I took the one free class offered, loved it, and have signed up for more.  I've now been to several classes of Gentle Flow Yoga and it's going to be very good for me.  I talked about it at my Weight Watchers meeting a couple of times and two of my friends there have also joined and another has been to her free class.  We hope she comes back.  I've done yoga in the past and it was good for me mentally.  This time it will be good both mentally and physically.  I go Tuesday and Thursday mornings and can also attend another class late Sunday afternoons if it works out.

Some have wondered about what I've been reading.  Well, I have been reading and listening to audios, but maybe not as much as usual.  I've listened to a few books that were rereads - always a fun thing for me.  I've listened to a lot of music during my walking as well and a few podcasts.  Right now, I'm working on reading a couple of books for the afternoon book group that I attend most of the time.  I had to miss May's mystery book group meeting because of our Colorado trip and I'll also have to miss June's meeting.  It's good for the group to fend for themselves now and then without me and I have a fabulous substitute by the name of Gayle.  Her blog is It's a Mystery!  You should visit Gayle.  They discussed Memory Man by David Baldacci and had a good time.

I'm about to finish God Save Texas: A Journey Into the Soul of the Lone Star State by Lawrence Wright for discussion in a couple of weeks.  I've been very glad to read this book as Nan had gifted me a copy last year when she came to Austin for a trip.  I've done a read/listen and enjoyed it very much.  I haven't agreed completely with all the author says, but I think any person who has lived in Texas for a long time or is a native Texan will recognize and nod their heads at many aspects of this non-fiction book.  I look forward to the discussion.  Many of the regular members of the group are not from this area originally and many have not lived here very long.  Should be a 'vivid' time.  Ha!

The June selection for that book group is The Power by Naomi Alderman.  I'm going to do a read/listen of that one as well.  And I may just move right on into it because we have a busy early June.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll try to relate some of  the discussions of both of these books if I can.  Another group that I attend very sporadically is discussing The Dry by Jane Harper next week.  I've already read it as well as Force of Nature, the next book in the author's series.  Not sure I'll make that meeting, but I might try.

I'm going to attempt to get some posts written about our Colorado visit for next week.  Maybe 3 or 4 of them.  We shall see.  Those will have pictures.  I also would like to show you a couple of bookstores that I visited (well, a local one that I haven't made it to yet, but it's very new - plan to visit in the next few days).

Hope you all have a nice weekend and I'll see you soon!  And my plan for the blog here in upcoming days is to come and go as I have time.  I'll comment on your posts as I can and check them out event if I don't comment.     

27 comments:

  1. It's so important at our age to keep our upper body strength (I'm 64). I've been doing some at-home weightlifting to supplement the walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, I think that's a very good thing. We all need to try to keep ourselves strong if we can.

      Delete
  2. I walk and run and then get an upper body workout at work. I've always wanted to try yoga, though, and am glad to know you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, the yoga is good for the body, but it also can quiet the mind a bit. I bet you do get an upper body workout at work. Ha!

      Delete
  3. Like you, I do a lot of walking, but I've only recently started taking a yoga class once a week. Next week, I will start going twice a week, which I think will be wonderful.

    I'm anxious to see your photos from your Colorado trip! I have so many more posts to compose about our big road trip last year. :)

    So happy to see you posting here and there, Kay! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a confession. The first yoga class I took was here at the university but I was afraid of being intimidated by others in the class so I signed up for an adaptive version... basically, one for those with special needs. I wanted to do it at my pace, slowly. It was really good but a little too easy which bolstered my confidence for next time. I did it for 9 weeks but then I would go back to my desk and get all stressed out again. So next time, not at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I totally understand about being a little intimidated by yoga classes. My daughter and I took it together the first time I tried it. That was several years ago and she suggested it to help with my stress levels at that time. I was so nervous, but learned that especially the beginner or gentle classes are very open to adaptions in the poses. I suppose any class is really. I told my friends at WW that it didn't matter how fit or flexible you were. Yoga could work for anyone.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear from you. The yoga class sounds very good. Thanks for pointing me towards the It's a Mystery blog. I read her review of On the Road with Del & Louise, which I have been interested in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you checked out Gayle's posts, Tracy. She reads a little different subset of mysteries than I do for the most part. Think it's good for all of us to check out all aspects of the mystery genre. :-)

      Delete
    2. Tracy, On the Road is a quick read and humorous... the things those two do and really believe it is ok. You have to laugh and shake your head.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you've been busy! I joined back up with WW a couple days ago and have been doing well so far. Your success with the program has been an inspiration to me, so thanks for posting about your experience with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan! I'm so happy for you! Thanks for your kind words. I really want to encourage others to take good care of themselves. I will admit that I feel much better physically and that's a good thing. You take care and feel free to email me with questions, concerns, or just whatever.

      Delete
  7. I've always wanted to get into yoga, but just haven't yet! Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. I'm glad I decided to try it again.

      Delete
  8. I love yoga but it's been awhile since I've taken an actual class. I think gentle yoga sounds perfect. I have the same issue with upper body strength. My lower body and core strength is okay and easy to work with but it feels like I could work on my upper constantly and I'd never make any progress. I really think I've made most of my progress through yoga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that most people don't automatically think of yoga when they think of working on body strength. However, a lot of it uses more muscles than you might imagine, right? I know you do yoga too and wish you good luck with your practice.

      Delete
  9. I really love all my walking, but need to add in some kind of strength training too. I'd like to give yoga a try and your word are encouraging. We have a couple more weeks left here, so my plan is to look for a class back in NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan, JoAnn. Hope you can find a yoga class that might suit you.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the nod to my blog. I go to Yoga once a week. They offer it at work. People think it is real easy. It is not. You will definitely built upper body strength. Every time the instructor says down dog and then we have to stay there, I think I make it much longer. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about down dog and developing upper body strength. I hold it for as long as I can and then hope to hold it a little longer the next time.

      Delete
  11. Yay for a good dentist visit! And, so excited you've found a good and affordable yoga class. I finally found a good one too and have started back up doing yoga as well. I love it. Hope you are enjoying your weekend and staying dry. While I'm not ready for the summer heat, I don't like the crazy storms we get. I can handle rain but tornados can stay far away please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't really mind the May rains, but I could do without the stronger storms. May always seems full of storms, right?

      Delete
  12. So happy to read you are into yoga and enjoying it. It's 3 years for me now and I love how flexible and agile I've become; great for balance as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, balance as well. I kept noticing that you mentioned your yoga practice and I decided it was time for me to get back into it. I'll go later this morning. :-)

      Delete
  13. I started yoga when I had an especially stressful time at work about seven years ago. I have fallen in love with yoga. I try to never miss a class at the Y.

    God Save Texas felt like a gentle yet critical look at my home state. It's nice when an insider can look at his home fairly objectively.

    I'm glad you are doing well. We really must meet up one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about all you said, especially a meet up. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!