.

.

Sunday, December 29, 2019

My 2019 reading favorites and possible plans for 2020...


Don't we all like to look back and see what books we've enjoyed most or remembered best from the past year?  I know I do.  I shared my favorites pictured below at two different book group meetings in December.  And I also got a lot of good suggestions for future reading from others.  I enjoy reading the 'Top 10' lists that many publish, though I will say that I often have read none of the books that newspapers and magazines mention in their 'Top 10' articles.  I usually have read one or two on mystery-related lists.  However, in 2019, I stepped away from the newer books much of the time and was happy with that.  I no longer belong to Netgalley or Edelweiss and don't get advance copies of books.  I miss that a bit, but it became too much of a 'good' thing for me.  

I again did not keep very detailed statistics of my reading, though I always keep my reading journal in actual paper form.  I read 132 books this last year, a few less than the 138 I read in 2018.  Many were audiobooks and I enjoyed making my way through several mystery series.  Those included:

Alice Quentin books by Kate Rhodes
Lena Jones books by Betty Webb
Tracy Crosswhite books by Robert Dugoni
Harriet Truman quilting mysteries by Arlene Sachitano
Cormac Reilly books (two so far and new one in 2020) by Dervla McTiernan

I read a very few non-fiction books, but enjoyed the ones I completed.  And I did read a bit of regular fiction for book groups or just because.  My favorites in a few categories are below with one book my most favorite of the year (not a mystery amazingly).  


Favorite Non-Fiction 


by Lori Gottlieb


Favorite Mystery Series


by Dervla McTiernan


Favorite Afternoon Book Group Selection - 2019


by Lisa See


Favorite Mystery Book Group Selection - 2019


by Kate Quinn


Favorite Book of All Read in 2019


by Lisa See


So, what are my plans for 2020?  I don't really have any particularly.  I do want to possibly continue reading a few mystery series from beginning to end.  No guesses as to which ones, but I've been considering the coffeehouse books by Cleo Coyle, Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak books set in Alaska, and perhaps Donna Andrews' series featuring a bird in each title and Meg Langslow as a main character.  I've read several of each of those series and each are quite long now.  I'd love to catch up on them. 

I'll continue to be involved with the Mystery Book Group at the Spicewood Springs Branch of the Austin Public Library (my former workplace).  Our January selection is Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.  I'll also read most of the books and try to attend most meetings of the Afternoon Book Group at the same branch library.  For that group, January is Toni Morrison Month and members will read something by her. 

As to blogging - well, I'll still be around.  Not sure exactly what it will look like here, but we'll see how motivated I get.  I seem to always be on a on-again-off-again pattern, but I read other blogs more faithfully than I write on my own.  Never fear that I won't be keeping up with what you are sharing.  You'll be able to see what I've read in my sidebar, even if I don't share my thoughts. 

Our lives continue here in Central Texas.  I enjoy volunteering at two libraries.  I'm still on my quest for the best health and have made good progress there.  I walk several miles most days and try to attend yoga class a couple of times a week.  My husband is still a few years away from retirement, but we have some trips planned for this year.  Our daughter and son-in-law live in our area and we have two sweet granddogs.  We have other family close and we enjoy good friends in our neighborhood and at our church.

Life is peaceful and joyful for me most of the time.  And you're all part of that.  I'll be wishing you a Happy New Year on Tuesday (with a picture that is not from my area of the world at all - ha!).  Take care of yourselves and your loved ones and I hope you can look for the joy in your own lives in 2020! 

42 comments:

  1. I need to look at my books list for my reading favourites post. I love looking at other readers' lists so I can add them for my future reads. I'm hoping to read The Island of Sea Women next year. I bought this when it was newly published but haven't got around to reading it.

    Here's to a great reading year in 2020 and I'm looking forward to more book talks with you, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I think you'll like the Sea Women book and I'll be curious what you think about the story. I was quite fascinated with their way of life.

      Delete
  2. Happy 2020 to you, dear Kay!
    And happy reading!
    If you ever want to know good non-fiction books, just ask me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I don't read much non-fiction, but I'm always open for suggestions. Sometimes I find that I do better with those books on audio.

      Delete
  3. My wish list groans this time of year. I haven't read any of your favorites and have added a few to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I would definitely suggest that you try Lori Gottlieb's book on audio. Very well done.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, I've rarely read anything on the newspapers' 'Best books' lists either. I do sometimes wonder which planet these reviewers inhabit. Not mine that's for certain.

    I can recommend Kate Shugak, not sure if this would be a reread for you? I've just embarked on a reread of the Cadfael books and have been delighted at how good the first book is. I had of course completely forgotten most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I've read several of the Kate Shugak books, but am a few behind. She has a new one coming out very soon and I thought it might be time for a whole series reread. I have not ever read the Cadfael books, though I've known about them. I should try them.

      Delete
  5. You are terribly smart to cut off the Netgalley and Edelweiss, I think. I never got interested in them. It seems that more publishers are trying to use these for ARCs and maybe that will encourage me to stay away a bit more from new books. I prefer to read sure things, the tried-and-true.

    It sounds like you have lovely plans for the year. Know you are always welcome to join the linkup at Sunday Salon (whether it's a weekly wrapup sort of post or not). I find Sunday Salon a nice way to sum up my week, even if it's just for myself.

    I am quite sure I will be up in Central Texas some time this year. We should make plans to meet up.

    Here's to a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I would love to meet up. Let me know when you might be in the area and we'll see what we can manage. Maybe you could come to Georgetown and we could meet at the new independent bookstore, Lark and Owl. They also have a cafe attached. I haven't been there yet, but keep meaning to go by.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, Kay! I've got a couple of these already on my list, but now I have more to add. I'm really interested in reading Lisa See's, The Island of Sea Women. Happy reading in the New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I definitely encourage you to try the book about the Sea Women. Such an interesting way of life.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that everything is going well for you, Kay, even though we don't hear from you much! Wishing you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Angela! Who knows? I might be around a little more in 2020 - we'll see...ha!

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a great reading year. You are right, NetGalley is such temptation! I joined Edelweiss but never got caught up in that one. I haven't read any of your favorite reads but I definitely have some of those on my radar. I hope you have a wonderful 2020 and can't wait to hear about the bookish adventures you are sure to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts about your reading as well, Iliana. Have a nice New Year!

      Delete
  9. This a good round up and look forward post, Kay. So far I have read 120 books this year and that is the most I have read per year in the last 20 years. Don't know how much I read per year when I was younger.

    I too hope to continue on with the Kate Shugak books, and I like your plans for reading a whole series during the year. I haven't done that for several years. I am planning to do the European Challenge and work on my Classics list, and I will work on my TBR pile also. So, not much different from last year, except I hope to step up reading from my Classics List.

    Have a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I know that 2020 will be a year of adjustment for you - enjoy your retirement and lots of reading!

      Delete
  10. It is difficult to keep up with reading when we read so many books. For me, it is mostly wanting to get on to the next book instead of reviewing the one I just finished. Off we go into a New Year, and I hope your future reading is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with what you said, Jenclair. Reading is good - reviewing is OK, but not always the most fun. Have a good New Year!

      Delete
  11. I listened to both of the Lisa See books and really liked them. I so agree that reading and blogging should be escape and fun. When it becomes high pressure, it's time to reassess. No matter the frequency of your posts, I'm here to read what you have to say.

    I have some new series to put on my crazy list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got some ideas here, Candace. That's one of the most fun things that we get to experience, right? Looking forward to hearing about your reading in 2020.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing your favourites, wishing you a great reading week and a Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I wish you the same right back!

      Delete
  13. It is always fun to look back at your reading year. I had a hard time narrowing my favorites down to ten this year. (Kind of a nice problem to have.) Hope you have a Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice problem to have, Lark. You had a good list. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  14. You had a very good year of reading! Like you, I rarely add anything to my TBR list that is on those "Best Of" lists that are published in magazines and newspapers, but rely heavily on my blogging & Goodreads friends. Lori Gottlieb's book is probably going to be my #1 nonfiction read this year, too.

    I'm glad you're going to continue blogging. You don't have to post often or review every book you read. Just go with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going with the flow is the plan. Hope you and Rod have a wonderful New Year, Les!

      Delete
  15. I love that life is peaceful and joyful for you most of the time. That and good health - just about perfect, dear Kay. I couldn't wish you anything nicer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and thank you for your special wishes. And right back at you, Nan. Much love sent your way!

      Delete
  16. Happy New Year, Kay! It's been almost three years since I've been around any blog (mine included) so I'm glad to see that you are still blogging! Your approach to 2020 reading sounds a bit like mine - I have no idea what I'm going to read, and am not setting any major goals. Just being able to read more will suffice for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! So happy to see your name again on a comment. Yes, I'm still around - mostly. Ha! Good luck with your reading. Bet you'll find some good ones.

      Delete
  17. I really enjoy Lisa See's books. I haven't read The Island of Sea Women, yet, but I loved her The The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane.

    It sounds like you have found a nice balance, Kay, and I am glad everything is going so well for you. May it continue and grow in this new year as well. Have a Happy New Year, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I think you'd like The Island of Sea Women if you get a chance to try it. Such a curious way of life - very different. I appreciate the good thoughts about balance. That describes my goals perfectly. Give your Mouse a hug!

      Delete
  18. Looks like another good reading year for you, Kay. I've been much happier and the quality of books I'm reading has improved since leaving netgalley. Lori Gottlieb's book was one of my favorites of 2019 (which reminds me that I still haven't made an official list) and both of the Lisa See books are on my list. Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I think a bunch of us liked Lori Gottlieb's book. Wonder if she'll write another? I plan to listen to it again this next year. It was a great book. And I can't wait to see what Lisa See tackles next. I haven't read all her backlist - not sure I will, but the two I read this last year were great.

      Delete
  19. I loved DARK MATTER! It's a real mind-bender. I meant to read the author's new book in 2019, but that just didn't happen. It definitely will in 2020.

    I'm also loving the Dervla McTiernan series. I can't wait for a new one!

    I'm glad things are going well for you. I'll definitely be watching to see what you're reading in 2020 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we'll have a good discussion about DARK MATTER. Not sure how it will go over with the group. I've got the new book, RECURSION (think that's it), to read this year. And, yes, I'm also waiting for Dervla McTiernan's next book. I'll be watching what you're reading too, Susan!

      Delete
  20. Happy New Year Kay! I made an effort to continue on with the a handful of the series that I read and would like to continue. I think it's fun to read 3 or 4 in a year instead of waiting a year or two and forgetting what happened already! I really liked Dark Matter. Loopy but fun. I'm adding some of your favorites to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you liked DARK MATTER as well Stacy. It's a bit different for our mystery group, but I always think it's good to branch out in the whole big, big mystery genre.

      Delete
  21. So much to love here, Kay!
    I also harbor the dream of reading a long mystery series from start to finish... but not sure if that will happen in 2020 :)
    And I'm also unsure what my blogging life will look like. I'm journaling through that now... but I do know this: if it were not for blogging, I would not know you. And that is reason enough to continue.

    Wishing you the best 2020 and I look forward to connecting more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that if we didn't blog we wouldn't know each other and so many other like-minded people. Thanks for the good wishes and we'll see what 2020 brings.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!