.

.

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Waiting on Wednesday - Eight Perfect Murders


'Waiting on Wednesday' is an event that I used to take part in weekly.  I'm going to try to do this again in upcoming days and will highlight books that I'm extra excited about.  For this first 'Waiting on Wednesday' of 2020, I'm featuring Peter Swanson's new book - very excited for this one as I've enjoyed this author's books in the past.  This week I'm waiting on:



Publication Date:  March 3rd

Years ago, bookseller and mystery aficionado Malcolm Kershaw compiled a list of the genre’s most unsolvable murders, those that are almost impossible to crack—which he titled “Eight Perfect Murders”—chosen from among the best of the best including Agatha Christie’s A. B. C. Murders, Patricia Highsmith’s Strangers on a Train, Ira Levin’s Death Trap, A. A. Milne's Red House Mystery, Anthony Berkeley Cox's Malice Aforethought, James M. Cain's Double Indemnity, John D. Macdonald's The Drowner, and Donna Tartt's A Secret History.

But no one is more surprised than Mal, now the owner of the Old Devils Bookstore in Boston, when an FBI agent comes knocking on his door one snowy day in February. She’s looking for information about a series of unsolved murders that look eerily similar to the killings on Mal’s old list. And the FBI agent isn’t the only one interested in this bookseller who spends almost every night at home reading. There is killer is out there, watching his every move—a diabolical threat who knows way too much about Mal’s personal history, especially the secrets he’s never told anyone, even his recently deceased wife.

To protect himself, Mal begins looking into possible suspects . . . and sees a killer in everyone around him. But Mal doesn’t count on the investigation leaving a trail of death in its wake. Suddenly, a series of shocking twists leaves more victims dead—and the noose around Mal’s neck grows so tight he might never escape.

----------------------------------------------

What do you think of the eight books listed?  Have you read any of them?  I've only read the Christie book and the Highsmith book, but this might be a good reading list before publication. 

23 comments:

  1. I really love Highsmith's Strangers on a Train...but the book and the Hitchcock movie. But I haven't read any of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really familiar with several of them. Need to do some research.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this author but as soon as I saw that he was a bookseller and there was an Agatha Christie title mentioned I knew I had to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Swanson writes some creepy books indeed. I've liked the ones I've tried. And it's possible this one is the start of a series.

      Delete
  3. when I first saw this on Booktube, I think, I go so interested I knew I need to get into the hype train for this one. I mean I've only read Christie books as well but this is also a great time to check out the others :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to do some research and see what might be available.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so cool! I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting premise for a book. I will have to see what you think of it.

    I was surprised to see that I had read 5 of them. The ones I have not read are Death Trap (nor have I seen the movie), The Drowner (although I have read many other books by John D. MacDonald), and The Secret History.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to do a little research on all of them, Tracy. May be adding a couple to my TBR.

      Delete
  6. I've this book on my to-read list and I'm looking forward to reading it! Can't wait to see what the author has in store for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds very interesting. I have read one book on the list and have seen the movie Strangers on a Train. Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my busy mind is thinking about whether we might be able to use this book and the books mentioned as a theme for the mystery group at some point in the future.

      Delete
  8. When I saw the list, I thought the same. That sounds like a great mystery list! I have only read the Tartt book. Really curious about this one as I've really enjoyed another Swanson novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on at least trying Donna Tartt's book - at some point before long.

      Delete
  9. I'm excited for this one, too. The publisher is sending me a copy - I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of the books. I was also stunned to see A. A. Milne in the list. A.A. Milne of Winne-the-Pooh?! I can't imagine a murder mystery by this author, but life is full of strange mysteries (pun intended). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, A.A. Milne of Pooh fame. Apparently, that murder mystery was the only one written by the author. Interesting, right?

      Delete
  11. Oh, I want to read this! And read a few of the mysteries mentioned that I haven't already.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!