.

.

Friday, June 25, 2021

Is it hot where you are? An update before we head to 'cooler' country...

Hello book friends!  Is it summer or what?  The weather people in our part of the world have just gone wild about warning everyone about the 'feels-like' temperatures (that's a new term, to me anyway) and telling people to wear their sunscreen and take their water and check their backseats for kids and pets, etc.  Sometimes I laugh a little because, though it has been warm here - 90's - with 'feels-like' above 100, it's not unusual for Central Texas.  We get the humidity from the Gulf and it is June after all.  July will also be hot and August will be even hotter, though with less humidity usually.  I think that our area has so, so many people that are 'new-to-Texas' residents and I guess they don't know about summer weather in the southern part of the US.  Well, they will learn.  

Now I have heard that the Pacific Northwest is getting a shot of way, way too hot this weekend.  People up there are probably not prepared for temps 100+.  Hope that weather thing is short-lived and they go back to their normal quickly.  I think a lot of them do not have A/C systems.  When we lived in Portland way back in the 90's, we found it weird to have no A/C.  The house we bought there didn't have it when we came and it did have it by the time we left.  We thought it was needed for a few weeks out of the year.  

We're leaving next week on a postponed-from-last-year trip to Oregon, but we will be staying on the coast and the temps in Bandon have been lows in the 50's and highs in the 60's.  That will be a nice shot of cool for us and may even feel a little too cool.  Ha!  I will say that I don't like to 'drip with sweat' while I'm out walking.  Think Bandon, Oregon will satisfy that requirement of mine.  

My reading has still been very slow, but a couple of favorite authors will be having books come out while I'm on my trip.  I hope to get both and perhaps read them.  The first is Elly Griffiths' new Ruth Galloway book, The Night Hawks, #13 in that series.  The second will be Linda Castillo's new Kate Burkholder novel, Fallen, also #13 in the series.

Right now I'm reading Her Dark Lies by J.T. Ellison.  Very Gothic.  I picked this one up because I enjoyed a Poisoned Pen podcast where Barbara Peters discussed the return of some more Gothic-type books to the mystery/thriller genre with J.T. and also Jayne Ann Krentz.  I'm a Gothic-type mystery lover from way back.  I'm enjoying Her Dark Lies so far and I'll write an update about it if I finish before we leave.  

Otherwise, things are going well.  We're continuing to slowly get things accomplished and crossed off our lists.  I did find out that Kerrville will be having their Chalk Festival, which I wrote about here when I attended it in 2019, the weekend of October 16-17.  I'm excited and hope to go again and also have some great pictures.  Hope everyone has a nice weekend!  Stay cool!

21 comments:

  1. The humidity here in Louisiana has been higher than usual--and it is always a misery. I'd say we are used to it, but it is more accurate to say that at least we are adapting somewhat.

    Love Linda Castillo, and I enjoyed Fallen. I do love a good Gothic. Will check on Her Dark Lies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, good to know that you enjoyed Fallen. Yes, I do know that your area has a lot of humidity - more than we do probably. One nice thing about moving further to the west is less humidity on average.

      Delete
  2. I like your new header, Kay!

    We've been seeing a lot of news reports and alerts about the extreme heat wave that we are about to encounter here while camping in Northern California. It's pretty unprecedented for it to get this hot this early in the summer, so we're drinking lots of water and trying to stay inside the RV (with A/C) much more than usual. Even Seattle and on up into Canada will see triple digits, which is well above 25-30 degrees higher than a normal June. I feel for the farmers who are struggling with yet another drought and the wildfires are going to be terrible. Ugh. As far as A/C, we don't have it on the coast, but the upstairs can get hot when we hit the occasional 80 degree day. Thankfully, that doesn't happen too often! Yes, Bandon should be quite lovely for you while you're in Oregon.

    My reading is pretty much non-existent while we've been traveling. I've been reading the same mystery since June 1st and I'm only halfway finished!

    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the new header! It's a picture I took a while back of the Kerrville area from one of the golf clubs there. The clubhouse is up on the top of a hill and the views are lovely. I do hope this 'mega-hot' event will be brief in your area and that the fire thing will not be ramped up.

      Delete
  3. Up here in WI we're hot and humid in the summer. I'm just glad it's not winter because that's brutally cold. Stay comfortable, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mary, I know that I have to remember that the South is not the only area to get humidity. Plus we don't have the cold that you do (or not normally - our horrible cold event this last will hopefully not repeat for a long, long time).

      Delete
  4. Portland is very hot right now, 108, 113 etc. My son bought a window unit for their rental townhouse, luckily last weekend before everyone runs to get one. He and his wife are from Texas, but this is a bit much. I hope you have good, cool trip. I will be checking into the books you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, glad your son could get a window unit. Yes, we were told my people who were native Oregonians that we wouldn't need A/C when we moved up there. Then we talked to a couple of people who were from Texas and they said - yes you will. LOL

      Delete
  5. Have fun on your trip! We've been very hot here in Utah this summer, even setting new heat records. yay. We did get rain two days ago, so that cooled things down which was nice. I think we're back up in the 100s next week. I hope you get a chance to read Linda Castillo's new one; I'm really looking forward to reading that one myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Linda Castillo's Kate series. Hope you guys keep getting some rain to tamp down those temperatures.

      Delete
  6. It's icky hot here in Arizona, as always! I hate summer :( Thank goodness for a/c and for our backyard swimming pool. Both are lifesavers in this relentlessly hot, dry weather. I did visit my parents in Washington a few weeks ago and it was PERFECT - drizzly and in the 60s. I didn't want to leave! I know it's been crazy hot there this week and will continue to be next week. Lots of people don't have a/c there, although there are a lot of homes with basements (something that isn't super common here in the Phoenix area) that stay cool (or cooler, at least). My parents have some window a/c units, at least, so hopefully they won't melt! Bandon weather sounds perfect. Enjoy it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, heat for you guys in summer is normal, right? Dry heat. And I do know that a lot of people in the Northwest have basements. We don't here - too much rock under the soil. It would cost a fortune to create. Hope your folks will fare well through this hot event.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear that Kerrville is having their Chalk Festival. The Chalk Painting festival in Santa Barbara is always scheduled for Memorial Day weekend, and they had it virtually this year. I hope they have it in person next year, although it remains to be seen how much time we will want to spend in crowds at that time.

    Our weather here is not too hot, but maybe a bit hotter than usual. Lots more sun than I like. I am sure your visit to Oregon will be very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, that's interesting that your area has a Chalk Festival as well. I found watching the artists create just fascinating. Hope you guys get to attend next year.

      Delete
  8. Can I come with you! Although now that we are vaccinated and can start going out a bit more, honestly with this heat all I want to do is stay indoors with the AC! haha... You guys are going to have a blast. And, so glad to hear you are enjoying some favorite authors. I'm on #4 of the Kate Burkholder books right now and it's so good. Love this series. Good luck getting everything ready for your trip and looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could come with us, Iliana! Ha! As to the Kate Burkholder books, hope you enjoy all of them that you read. It's a series that I've managed to stay current with and I look forward to each book.

      Delete
  9. I am not a fan of hot weather, so I'm basically miserable all summer! The next couple days are supposed to be well into the 90s and I'm not looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It hit 111 yesterday in my part of So California. Supposed to be about 106 today. It's a little early for those temps but maybe we will luck out and that will be the worst of it. Riiiight. Wishful thinking. As I age, these warm temps and I do not agree AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're finally getting a break from the heat here in Kansas. We've had rain move in for the past few days which brought cooler temps. So lovely. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been mostly in the 80s-90s here but I haven't really been out much lately that I don't mind it. I feel for those in the NW who don't usually get these temperatures. Heck, even I would move there just to not have very hot spells but oh well.

    Glad to hear you are doing well and acing those lists! The reading will happen - it has a funny way of telling you when to do it and when not to. (My last two months have been it telling me not to read much lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If we ever feel secure about traveling widely again, I hope that you and I can meet up and talk books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!