.

.

Monday, July 26, 2021

More 'walking' pictures, a new book group visit, and possible volunteering opportunities...

Hello wonderful book friends!  I'm glad to stop back around here and share some additional pictures from my morning walks.  I'll also tell you about a Talking Texas Book Group visit and share about possible volunteering opportunities.  How are all of you?  Well, I hope and also hopefully enjoying your summer.  We're continuing to settle in our new location, check items off our 'to-do' lists, and will be taking another trip to New Mexico next week for my husband to play in a golf tournament.  Someday, we will move forward on our house renovation lists, but since we are being patient and waiting our turn we decided to enjoy another little vacation.

I was able to stop by the local library and talk with the director and adult services librarians regarding volunteering.  I filled out my paperwork and will start my volunteer work there in September.  A picture of that library is above and it's so light and bright inside.  The Guadalupe River flows through Kerrville and the library is located by the river with larger windows and seating areas to be able to see the trees and water and park area.  It's just lovely.




I also decided to attend one of this library's two book groups to see what they might be like.  There is a 'regular' book group that reads fiction/non-fiction, etc. and I will also try to attend that one in August or September.  The second group is called 'Talking Texas' Book Group and they read and discuss books featuring Texas history, topics important to Texas residents, and/or Central Texas locations.  This group meets at the History Center, which is right across the parking lot from the library.  I wasn't able to tour the History Center quite yet, but I very much enjoyed the book group (even though I hadn't read the book, Woman Hollering Creek, by Sandra Cisneros).  Above, you can see the front of the History Center and also a mother deer and fawn that were hiding on the library grounds.  Cute, right? 

I'll also be volunteering for the Friends of the Library and the jury is out on how well that will work.  I had met a neighbor while I was out walking that is very involved with that Friends group.  She encouraged me to come and get set up to volunteer when their 'Friends Bookstore' was open.  I did stop by and talked with the gentleman that manages that bookstore.  The store is only open 2 hours a week right now and 2 hours one Saturday a month.  All the volunteers have an area of the store that is their responsibility.  There were actually a lot of volunteers and a few customers.  In any case, I'm not sure that they need lots more people to help out right now.  The manager offered me the responsibility of a few different areas.  I did ask about any kind of fiction or especially mystery.  However, I think you'd have to volunteer for many years to get one of those.  Ha!  I ended up with 'Cooking' as my area.  So...not quite what I expected, but I'll see how it goes for a few weeks.

I'll save talking more about volunteering until another post.  I have sort of checked out a local yoga studio, but I haven't attended any classes yet.  Probably September.  I'll finish with more pictures from my morning walks.  I find it interesting that so many people in our neighborhood have various lawn and yard ornaments or special areas.  I could have taken 20 pictures, but I didn't.  Here are a few things that I found charming or beautiful.  Have a good week and I'll likely not post again for couple of weeks.  One day I'll talk about reading.  I am reading, but so, so slowly.  Just not much to share there.  Perhaps in the fall.  






     

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a lot of things to keep you busy! The Texas reading group sounds really interesting. I tried volunteering with my library's Friends' group. I was able to help out at one large book sale, but they didn't seem that interested in having more help and then COVID hit, so I'm not even really sure what they're up to now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, your 'Friends' experience made me laugh. I'm going to go back this next week and see how I like being in charge of the 'cooking' section. Time will tell. And, yes, I'm looking forward to the Texas reading group and also the 'regular' one when I can attend.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures! I especially like the rabbit. No automotive books for you huh? Cooking could be fun. At least you might find some good recipes while managing the books. I bet once you are there awhile and they see how knowledgeable you will get "promoted". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, 'promoted' - I like that! Yes, I'll like checking out the cooking section. We'll see how it goes. And maybe the library will provide other things that I can help with as well. I don't mind shelving at all, but you never know.

      Delete
  3. Your new town looks and sounds so lovely! I'm glad. Your Friends of the Library store must be HUGE to have so many different sections and volunteers. Ours is small and I've only ever seen one volunteer there at a time, although it's open for most of the day. I'll be interested to hear how your volunteering goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had wondered what the challenges of moving to a smaller town would be. I am so introverted, I don't know if it would make a difference for me. But I am glad (and not surprised at all) that you are getting out and involved already.

    Actually, I don't even like to cook that much but Cooking sounds good to me. I love to look at cookbooks and I am sure there all kinds that I have never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That library is beautiful, Kay! I think by now you guys have already been to and back from New Mexico so I hope that was a wonderful time away. I love that you're already getting established in your new hometown and can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!