.

.

Friday, February 10, 2023

The Drift by C.J. Tudor

The Drift by C.J. Tudor

First Paragraph:

They circled the body in the snow.  Scavengers.  Looking for anything they might strip from the corpse.

My Thoughts:

What do you think about that first paragraph?  More than a bit creepy, right?  Let me tell you, this book definitely continues on with the creepy, icy, scary, cold, and sometimes icky scenes.  Maybe get a nice hot cup of tea or cocoa and then settle in for a really wild ride.  

I thought I had read several books by this author, but I think I've only read one.  C.J. Tudor's first book was called The Chalk Man and I liked it quite a bit.  This one was told from three points of view - Hannah, Meg, and Carter.  It's got an apocalyptic feel to it - sort of end-of-the-world stuff.  There is a new sickness and it's been bad, really bad.  People are either 'nice guys' or survivors.  With the three protagonists, it's tough to see how they all relate to each other.  It took me most of the book to get a glimmer of an idea.  Even the title has a 'secret'.  Lots and lots of twists and then there was the ending.  Wow!

I did like this one.  Some might not be ready for this sort of book yet.  I have seen several of my blogging friends sharing positive reviews.  I will continue to read C.J. Tudor's writings or maybe find and read more of her backlist.  However, I think now I need a 'nice' murder mystery - maybe set in the hot summer.  Ha!  If you've read this one, what did you think?  If not, are you intrigued?  

Blurb:

Hannah awakens to carnage, all mangled metal and shattered glass. Evacuated from a secluded boarding school during a snowstorm, her coach careered off the road, trapping her with a handful of survivors. They’ll need to work together to escape—with their sanity and secrets intact.

Meg awakens to a gentle rocking. She’s in a cable car stranded high above snowy mountains, with five strangers and no memory of how they got on board. They are heading to a place known only as “The Retreat,” but as the temperature drops and tensions mount, Meg realizes they may not all make it there alive.

Carter is gazing out the window of an isolated ski chalet that he and his companions call home. As their generator begins to waver in the storm, something hiding in the chalet’s depths threatens to escape, and their fragile bonds will be tested when the power finally fails—for good.

The imminent dangers faced by Hannah, Meg, and Carter are each one part of the puzzle. Lurking in their shadows is an even greater danger—one with the power to consume all of humanity.

27 comments:

  1. I agree Kay - not everyone will want to read this one, given what's at the core of things. I quite like apocalyptic tales, so I quite enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite curious about how all the strands would weave together. Glad you talked about it on your blog.

      Delete
  2. I've liked the other books by C.J. Tudor that I've read, and I like apocalyptic books, so I'm looking forward to checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like it, Lark, especially if you like the apocalyptic angle.

      Delete
  3. I like the occasional apocalyptic tale, and Tudor's Burning Girl (hope I got the title right!) made my Best Reads list last year. I read this when we were having a bit of a cold snap here, and I was turning the pages whilst wrapped in two afghans-- one for the physical weather and the other for the psychological weather! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing now, Cathy. Quite a difference between the weather described in this book and an Arizona 'cold snap'. I can definitely understand the afghans wraps. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm curious about this author--I see the books everywhere, but have yet to read one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, this one was certainly twisty and cold. I can also recommend her first one, THE CHALK MAN.

      Delete
  5. Yes, definitely not for me. But I do know lots of other readers who love scary stories like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all have our favorite types of stories. I was OK with this, but again, give me something set in a warm climate next. LOL

      Delete
  6. Definitely creepy! I haven't read anything by Tudor but may have to. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, my pleasure to share my experience. I was serious about getting a hot cup of tea - ha!

      Delete
  7. I've also not read this author before, but now you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I hope you enjoy one of her books if you decide to see if her writing is for you. :-)

      Delete
  8. The story sounds very creepy. I do like apocalyptic stories but not all of them are this creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one was definitely creepy. And cold. Don't forget the cold. Ha!

      Delete
  9. I'm definitely adding this book to my reading list. Plus I'm a fan of Tudor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like this one, Melody, since you are already a fan of this author's books. Hope you try it!

      Delete
  10. I've been wanting to read CJ Tudor for awhile and this definitely looks creepy and perfect for a wintery read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm...yes, creepy and cold, cold, cold. And spooky. ;-)

      Delete
  11. This one was quite a journey, Gayle. I'll be interested if you do decide to pick it up. Remember - cold. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So is this author writing horror or mystery? I've seen the books. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she straddles the line a bit. One of those that writes a bit in one genre and a bit in another. This one does seem to be more 'horror', but maybe not...ha! You'd have to read it find out.

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I love snowstorm thrillers, though I'm not sure I'm ready for the "new sickness" part. Too soon, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think the 'new' sickness thing will work for all. You've got a lot to read otherwise though. Right?

      Delete
  14. I read The Chalk Man and really enjoyed it but I haven't gotten around to another of this author's books yet. This one while intriguing may not be the one I would pick up yet. There are several books I've read reviews on which have the premise of some new illness/plague and I don't think I'm ready for that yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand that, Iliana. It took me a while as well and I still have some issues with it - kind of depends on the book and the focus.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!