.

.

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

It's July and we've been on a lovely vacation to Oregon...


Hello book friends!  Hope each of you are doing well and enjoying your summer.  Has it been hot where you are?  It certainly has been in Central Texas.  Whew!  We had August-type temps in June and they continue for the most part in July.  Here's hoping that August might revert back to the June-like temps we missed.  Oh, and a little rain would be helpful.

We've been on a lovely vacation to Coastal Oregon and had a great time.  We left Texas at 107 degrees and arrived at Bandon, Oregon to a range of low 50's to low 60's.  Yes, we took jackets because it did feel a little brisk for a bit.  The wind was up as well.  My husband loved the golf and I loved the walking trails.  The picture above is what was visible behind our room and, yes, I walked that trail you see there.


I took this picture on the walking trail in the woods at Bandon Dunes and I thought it was a curious shot.  Somehow it caught my eye.  Don't know if that tree was struck by lightning or what but it was odd.

There is a labyrinth in those woods that I've shown before a few years ago.  I did walk that labyrinth and here is a picture I took from the middle.  Have you ever walked a labyrinth?  What I will tell you is that the paths may not go just as you think.  Round and round, but also back and forth.  

This shot was taken further up the coast of Oregon in Depoe Bay.  We stopped for lunch and to see if we could spot a whale (we didn't, but we did see a seal).  Les, I bet you recognize this spot.


One last picture from my walking in Gleneden Beach where Salishan is located.  It was a misty, foggy morning and quite beautiful.  As I said, cool temps and not quite as windy here.  Very peaceful.  A great time was had by both of us.  And then we came back to the heat.  Ah well.  It's summer.  This is Texas.  What I will say is that people are definitely travelling again and the airports and flights were jammed.  I don't much like flying anymore.  Too many people!

My reading has been going well, but not too many books read.  I have picked up and read the first two books in C.J. Box's Joe Pickett series.  I also read the first book in Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch series.  Both of these have game warden protagonist's that also solve crimes.  We watched the first season of the TV adaptation about Joe Pickett.  My husband has read and kept up with both of these series, so I finally got around to trying them.  I'll continue with both I think.  I've reread a couple of books, but I'm just taking my time and going the way the mood strikes.  Oh, I also read the latest Lady Sherlock book by Sherry Thomas and enjoyed that one.  

We have trip planned to New Mexico in August and will be going to Austin for a few days next week to see family and for a couple of other appointments.  Just trying to relax and enjoy the summer of 2023.  Hope you do as well.  I'll check back around in a few weeks and appreciate those of you who still remember that I'm here!  Take care!

27 comments:

  1. Your Oregon trip sounds so fun. I love all your photos! It's a place I really want to go back and visit again...do some hiking, walk along the beaches, see puffins. Hopefully someday soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about seeing puffins. Will have to watch for them in the future. LOL

      Delete
  2. No, not too hot here, the jet stream is keeping the terrible heat in southern Europe at the moment. Long may it continue, but I really do feel for them. Lovely photos, have always wanted to go to Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you guys are not too hot, Cath. Oregon is a lovely place to visit.

      Delete
  3. It's good to hear about your travels! I started a new mystery series last week - the first one is called And There He Kept Her by Joshua Mohling. The second will be out on August 15. I really enjoy Allen Eskens' books, and this one reminded me of his. Try and stay cool and enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for the book recommendations!

      Delete
  4. I'm envious of those Oregon temperatures! Actually Kansas hasn't been too bad this summer, and we've gotten more rain than usual. But, I could really go for a foggy 55° right about now. Your pictures are beautiful! I hope to get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oregon is a great place to visit if you ever get a chance!

      Delete
  5. Oregon looks beautiful and it sounds like your visit was wonderful.

    I have had the first book in Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch series on my shelves for at least 10 years. I really need to read it soon. And C. J. Box's first book also, since May 2013.

    Have fun with the rest of your summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! Yes, you might try each of those books and see what you think.

      Delete
  6. Hi Kay, Sounds like you had a lovely time in Oregon and, a well-deserved change in temps. OMG, wish I could send your our nearly 2 weeks of heavy rains - flooded streams and rivers here but not close enough to do harm to most. Been updating my 2023 reads on the blog but haven't felt like reviewing or blogging. I am keeping quite busy though with friends, lunches out and a new houseplant obsession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Diane, I know that some places have had way more rain than they needed. Droughts in our part of the world are not at all uncommon. We'll see what this winter will bring with the El Nino instead of the La Nina. I've been thinking about you and hoping things were going well enough for you. Yes, I'm kind of in the same place about reviewing and updating the blog. Guess we go through seasons for those things. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry we missed you while you were in the neighborhood! I'll bet our cool temps were a relief, but I wouldn't mind it if it got 5-10 degrees warmer. It's actually supposed to hit 64 today. :) I love the shot of Salishan/Gleneden Beach area. Such a typical shot of our summer sky. If it's hot in the valley, it's overcast/foggy here. And yes, not only have I walked a labyrinth, but I've walked that exact same one when we were camping in Bandon and I walked the trails around the golf course. Oh, and I recognize the Depoe Bay shot, I think. Was it taken near Tidal Raves? We always feel so lucky to come home to the Oregon Coast after a long road trip. We are so fortunate to live here!

    Hope you have a lovely time in New Mexico and that it's cooler up in the mountains. Take good care, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were sorry that you guys were still gone when we were in the area. And, yes, the Depoe Bay shot was taken right after we ate lunch at Tidal Raves. That was the 4th of July and we were driving up the coast from Bandon. It will be cooler in the mountains of New Mexico, just hoping for no wildfires.

      Delete
  8. Your Oregon trip looks amazing and how nice to get a break from the temperature! I love the Sherry Thomas series but haven't been the best at keeping up with it. Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, Katherine. I have so enjoyed that Sherry Thomas series. Just a different tweak to the Sherlock story.

      Delete
  9. Believe it or not, your photos made me feel a few degrees cooler, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I'm glad. You need to feel a few degrees cooler!

      Delete
  10. Oregon seems like better temps! Looks like a great trip. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish for a cooler weather. It's been very hot here! Some rains will be good but so far barely. Well, it's July so...
    Your trip sounds wonderful! Love the pics too! Hope you've a good weekend and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody. Still very, very hot in our area and likely will be until fall.

      Delete
  12. Looks like you had a nice, cool vacation. I think you will like the Joe Pickett books, but they make me leery of traveling up that way. lol Enjoy your NM trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun time and we will also enjoy our NM trip.

      Delete
  13. Such lovely pictures! Glad you had a great trip. We had some very hot temps here in July, but this week is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are having a nice week, Angela. I think the hot will be with us until fall.

      Delete
  14. These pictures are gorgeous! I love Oregon. I miss living in the beautiful PNW. Glad you enjoyed your trip so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!