.

.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Ice Shear by M. P. Cooley

Ice Shear is the first book in a new mystery series written by M. P. Cooley.  It is this author's debut, and she has been nominated for at least 3 mystery awards for Best First Mystery, quite an accomplishment.  I read Ice Shear for my current mystery group meeting, where we will be reporting on award nominated/winning books for 2014/15.  I listened to it on audio with narration by Marguerite Gavin, who did a great job.  I was quite pleased with Ice Shear and actually quite cold throughout.  Let me tell you why.

Officer June Lyons works for the police department in Hopewell Falls, New York.  Daughter of the retired chief of police, she and her family moved back to upstate New York when her husband, Kevin, was very ill with cancer.  Both June and Kevin were FBI agents and went through training at Quantico together.  They had been based in California with June working mostly with gang crime and Kevin part of the cyber crime division.  After it became clear that Kevin would not recover, June moved back home so that she could care for Kevin and their small daughter, with her father's help.  She became a regular police officer with the Hopewell Falls police.  Kevin died and June has remained in her hometown, doing a job that she is overqualified for, but needing to be near family and provide stability for her 6-year-old.

On a routine night's patrol, June discovers a young woman impaled on an ice shear that had formed in the Mohawk River.  It turns out the dead woman is the daughter of the local Congresswoman.  Danielle had been a troubled young woman and she went to California to get away from her parents and attend college.  She returned home, married to the son of the main enforcer of the Abominations,  a violent motorcycle gang.  Before June knows it, everything has gotten complicated.  She's been an outsider with the local police and never quite fit in, but now, the FBI has come to assist in the murder investigation and the agent that arrives is someone both June and her husband knew well.  More discoveries are made - there's a meth lab located in a prime spot and a plan to distribute drugs throughout the area.  A biker gang rolls into town and the tension increases.  Who killed Danielle?  Who's involved in setting up the meth lab?  Pressure is being put on all of them by important people.  And then there is another murder.

I loved getting to know single mother, June (actually Juniper, but don't call her that), and her family and colleagues.  She's still recovering from her husband's death and misses him dreadfully.  She also misses the challenge of her FBI job, but feels that her daughter needs a regular life.  She's not sure her coworkers trust her very much and she's also not sure she can trust the FBI.  After all, she 'washed out', left, couldn't take it, regardless of what was going on in her personal life.  A woman who is still grieving, but trying her best to move forward.  This character has lots of room for growth.

The setting was vivid and described in detail, especially the winter weather.  Cold, cold, cold.  Brrr!  The details of this town that is down on it's luck, factories shuttered, and job opportunities scarce seemed quite authentic.  The crime solving was slower paced at first and then the action increased dramatically.  This was an interesting police procedural and a fine debut.  I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the series. Flame Out, which was recently published.  I'll be reporting to my group that I highly recommend Ice Shear.  The award nominations are well deserved.  

20 comments:

  1. This does sound like a great combination of one woman's tale combined with a police procedural - one to look out for :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give you a sense of upstate New York, Cleo.

      Delete
  2. I'd consider this simply because of the local setting... sounds like a spot on description of the winter weather and struggling towns along the Mohawk. But I'd rather read it from the safety (and warmth) of Florida ;-)

    Another beautiful header photo, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you there, JoAnn. I was glad I was reading it in the warmer times here as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear! Having just finished "The Ice Twins"... Not sure if I can face another book, with "Ice" in the title. -grinnnnnnnn-

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Tessa. Maybe later in the summer?

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one but I love all the elements. The mystery sounds really good and June sounds incredibly complex and real. Another one for my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked her a lot. Not the same as Ruth in Elly Griffiths' series, but a single mother with a big job.

      Delete
  5. Great review Kay. I used to live in upstate NY, so I know what you mean by cold. This sound like a great novel. I'm glad the author got off to such a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased too, Pat. I understood why the book had been nominated for awards.

      Delete
  6. It's always fun to catch a series right in the beginning. This sounds like it will be a good one. I'm curious to get to know June myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am off to see if my library has this one! Sounds great and I just can't resist after reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy if you are able to find it!

      Delete
  9. Sounds interesting, and I may want to read it in the midst of the summer when I definitely need the idea of cold, vivid winter weather. Of course, a good police procedural is welcome any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like it, Jenclair, and goodness knows that summer will be the right time for reading about ice and snow (in our part of the world anyway).

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!