.

.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Waiting on Wednesday - The Other Mother



I'm posting a 'soon to be released' book on Wednesdays.  These will always be books that I am particularly looking forward to.  I'll be linking up to 'Can't-Wait Wednesday' hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings and plan to take part in this each week.

The book I've chosen for this week is by an author who wrote two books I sampled last year - Carol Goodman.  I read River Road and The Widow's House.  Liked the second one better than the first, but both were enjoyable.  I meant to continue reading her backlist, but best intentions, right?  This week I'm waiting on her new book:




Publication Date:  March 27th

When Daphne Marist and her infant daughter, Chloe, pull up the gravel drive to the home of Daphne’s new employer, it feels like they’ve entered a whole new world. Tucked in the Catskills, the stone mansion looks like something out of a fairy tale, its lush landscaping hiding the view of the mental asylum just beyond its border. Daphne secured the live-in position using an assumed name and fake credentials, telling no one that she’s on the run from a controlling husband who has threatened to take her daughter away.

Daphne’s new life is a far cry from the one she had in Westchester where, just months before, she and her husband welcomed little Chloe. From the start, Daphne tries to be a good mother, but she’s plagued by dark moods and intrusive thoughts that convince her she’s capable of harming her own daughter. When Daphne is diagnosed with Post Partum Mood Disorder, her downward spiral feels unstoppable—until she meets Laurel Hobbes.

Laurel, who also has a daughter named Chloe, is everything Daphne isn’t: charismatic, sophisticated, fearless. They immediately form an intense friendship, revealing secrets to one another they thought they’d never share. Soon, they start to look alike, dress alike, and talk alike, their lives mirroring one another in strange and disturbing ways. But Daphne realizes only too late that being friends with Laurel will come at a very shocking price—one that will ultimately lead her to that towering mansion in the Catskills where terrifying, long-hidden truths will finally be revealed....

62 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good thriller/suspense title. Freaky about them starting to look alike, dress alike, and talk alike. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. I do think I've read another book with sort of the same story, but we'll see.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds so promising! I am reading about the two women and how close they are, and it sounds absolutely creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this author's books are quiet creepy. Not overt or over the top, but it kind of takes you surprise.

      Delete
  3. What an exciting backdrop to a thriller! I hope you enjoy it :D

    Here's my Wednesday post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound creepy! I haven't read a Goodman novel in a while, and this one sounds like it might be a good reason to return. Look forward to your review of The Other Mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on reading it later in the spring.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like it will be a really good thriller. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her first book (at least from what I know), Lake of Dead Languages is one of my favorites. I read that long ago, back before psychological thrillers were a dime a dozen. Very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a copy of that one and haven't read it yet. Her books often seem to have an old house or a college/university teacher.

      Delete
  7. Sounds really intense! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good thriller. The title alone... I hope you get a chance to read it!

    Mary Can’t Wait Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really creepy and good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the sound of this one so I can see why you are looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed looking forward to it. A little later in the spring.

      Delete
  11. Ooh sounds freaky and good. I read a couple of her YA books in the Blythewood series, didn't realize Carol Goodman had written so many books! This does sound goods!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about that Blythewood series. Is it good? Should I try it?

      Delete
  12. Whoa! This sounds like it has the makings of a fantastic thriller. Adding it to the TBR. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this author usually has a scary house and also the main character often works at a school or university.

      Delete
  13. What?? I didn't even know Goodman had a new one coming out. Yay! I like this author, although some of her books are definitely better than others. This one sounds like it will be especially good. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the two I listed above. Though Tina's recommendation makes me want to read her first.

      Delete
  14. Oh wow, this book looks intense! Definitely adding to my TBR!
    Here's our WOW: http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2018/02/waiting-on-wednesday-this-tiny-perfect.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am trying to remember if I have heard of this one before. So many mother thrillers out there (or coming out) now. I do like the sound of this one. I hope it is good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have, but there are a lot of similar plots and titles now. Maybe 'mother' is the next 'girl'! LOL

      Delete
  16. I have never heard of this one, but it sounds good! I hope you will love it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a great one! Hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not read anything by this author before, but wow, this one sounds like it's going to be very suspenseful. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've this book on my to-read list. I think I'll read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, you read it and let me know how it is. LOL

      Delete
  20. I've heard of this author, hope you enjoy this one! Great pick! Thanks for stopping by my Wednesday post on Lisa Loves Literature earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds great. Another book to add to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And our wishlists get ever longer, right? LOL

      Delete
  22. I really enjoy Carol Goodman's books and didn't realize she had a new one coming out! I'll be reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read 2 of her books so far. Look forward to reading more. And trying her YA books.

      Delete
  23. I like the Gothic-y flavor of this one. I fully expect there to be a madwoman in the attic and ghosts in the halls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Goodman definitely has a touch of the Gothic in her books.

      Delete
  24. So many books with "Mother," "Wife," "Widow," "Girl," etc! Hard to keep them all straight! I think I've read this author, but I'm not sure. Did she write The Lake of Dead Languages? If so, I've read that. This might be good, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did write The Lake of Dead Languages. Tina recommended it above. I'm going to try to read that one soon.

      Delete
  25. Oh wow! This sounds pretty thrilling! And I do love the setting in the Catskills. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, this author sets many of her books in that area.

      Delete
  26. Sounds like a very haunting thriller. Or at least a novel with a touch of that genre. The cover isn´t really mine, but I am curious because of that summary now. Thank for sharing, my tbr just grew a bit *lol*

    Best wishes
    Vi @Inkvotary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will be a good thriller. Though I'm glad to have a bit of time for a break from those.

      Delete
  27. OMG....I regret to say that this is not my cup of tea at all....I'm not into thrillers, especially if they have elements of horror in them, as this one seems to. I do hope you enjoy reading it, though!! :) :)

    So sorry for the late comment back....:( Thanks for your own comment on my "Can't Wait Wednesday" post!! <3 <3 :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even worry about when or if you comment, Maria! Life gets busy. And sorry to say that my Wednesday posts will likely mostly be mystery/thriller/crime novel types. Maybe not all, but most. It's what I like. LOL

      Delete
  28. Oooo this one sounds absolutely fantastic, I absolutely love a good thriller book. Great pick Kay I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance and thank you so much for stopping by my CWW last week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!