.

.

Friday, February 23, 2018

The Wife Between Us - Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen

First Paragraph(s):

She walks briskly down the city sidewalk, her blond hair bouncing against her shoulders, her cheeks flushed, a gym bag looped over her forearm.  When she reaches her apartment building, her hand dips into her purse and pulls out her keys.  The street is loud and busy, with yellow cabs racing by, commuters returning from work, and shoppers entering the deli on the corner.  But my eyes never stray from her.
     She pauses in her entryway and briefly glances back over her shoulder.  An electrical charge seems to pulse through me.  I wonder if she feels my stare.  Gaze detection, it's called--our ability to sense when someone is observing us.  An entire system of the human brain is devoted to this genetic inheritance from our ancestors, who relied on the trait to avoid becoming an animal's prey.  I've cultivated this defense in myself, the sensation of static rising over my skin as my head instinctively lifts to search out a pair of eyes.  I've learned the danger of dismissing that warning.

My Thoughts:

I liked this book quite a bit, though I think I might be hitting my limit for a while with psychological thrillers.  That happened to me last year and I had to take a break from them.  I listened to this book on audio (yes, I really like audio for my walking time) and it was very ably narrated by Julia Whelen.  I've read a couple of other books by Sarah Pekkanen and am a fan.  Greer Hendricks is a debut novelist, but she's been Sarah's editor for most, if not all, of her books.  They know each other well and did a little interview segment at the end of the audio.

So, what can I tell you about the book?  Well, I'm not going to say much at all.  This is one of those that the less you know, the better it will be.  Read the blurb below if you want a couple of hints.  Yes, there were things I guessed.  No, I didn't guess all of them.  I was surprised more than once.  And only annoyed a few times.  One of the authors that blurbed the book said it was like a 'house of mirrors'.  I think that's a good analogy.  If you've ever been to the fair and gone into 'The Fun House', one of those weird walk-through rides where the floor shifts and there are spinning things and a house of mirrors.  You feel a little upside-down.  This book turns up and down and all around more than once.  Enjoy and don't get dizzy!

Blurb:

When you read this book, you will make many assumptions.
You will assume you are reading about a jealous ex-wife.
You will assume she is obsessed with her replacement – a beautiful, younger woman who is about to marry the man they both love.
You will assume you know the anatomy of this tangled love triangle.
Assume nothing.

Twisted and deliciously chilling, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen's The Wife Between Us exposes the secret complexities of an enviable marriage - and the dangerous truths we ignore in the name of love.

Read between the lies.

36 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one, but not the dizzy part, lol. Will definitely read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the dizzy might be more virtual than actual. LOL

      Delete
  2. You're getting to my point on psychological thrillers! I burned out of them a few years ago and have been skittishly dipping my toe back in lately, but trying to pick ones that are a bit different. I ended up DNFing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for a little while. More traditional mysteries and non-mysteries for me for bit. But who knows what will catch my eye next?

      Delete
  3. Well, darn. I pass this one up on NetGalley and now it is no longer available. Library list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that. Your library should have it.

      Delete
  4. I love Pekkanen and need to pick this up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's different from Pekkanen's usual books, at least the ones I've read. Less domestic, more thriller-ish.

      Delete
  5. I love psychological thrillers, but sometimes they all seem the same! I can understand taking a break from them. This one sounds intriguing, so I'm definitely going to pick it up at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably just a short break. I'm reading or rather listening to Ann Cleeves' Vera books - definitely more traditional mystery.

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite types of books: easy to pick up/hard to put down. It is a little similar to the Last Mrs. Parrish, which I read not that long ago, but the similarity didn't make me like it any less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered about The Last Mrs. Parrish. Think I'll wait a bit for that one.

      Delete
  7. I've only read a few books there were psychological thrillers. I'm not good at reading suspenseful books. I have a hard time slowing down and savoring the book because I'm always racing to see how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand and also know that this type of book is not for everyone. I've raced through a book too and when you finish, you wonder 'what did I just read?'. LOL

      Delete
  8. This sounds a fun, quick read. I like these types of books now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting. You might like it, Ti.

      Delete
  9. This one is at the very top (actually, the first from the top) in my current reading pile. I've been reading a lot of psychological thriller lately, as I tend to do. Thanks for your comments about the JD Robb books--I laughed out loud at your suggestion that I could finish them all if I dedicated about 3-1/2 months to the project. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I'll watch for what you think about this psycho-thriller book. As to the Robb books, well, I actually did that last year - read all of them - August to November. I had fun with it!

      Delete
  10. This coming up on my TBR and I must admit, your review tells me that this book is nothing like I thought it was! You've made me excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you liked it! I am on a psychological thriller kick (although I'm sure I will burn out too) ... and this one is on the list. I hope to read it in March for #MarchMysteryMadness.

    It's good to reconnect with book blogging friends again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and glad to reconnect! Hope you enjoy this book if you decide to try it. It's pretty twisty!

      Delete
  12. I love a good psychological thriller, but I need to be careful and not overdose on them! If I spy this one at the library, I'll snag it. Otherwise, I'll wait until all the hype dies down. It does sound good, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a little overdosed. I'm enjoying taking a break from them.

      Delete
  13. I LOVE thrillers, but I’m so torn on reading this one. The reviews are very, very mixed. I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I've overindulged in them myself and now am enjoying a break for different sorts of books.

      Delete
  14. Sometimes I need a break from a certain type of psychological thriller too, even if I love those books! I have this one but haven't gotten around to it. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe just a little break. I'm liking a different sort of book right now, but suspect I'll be back to these before long.

      Delete
  15. I know what you mean about getting burned out on certain genres.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I won this one in a giveaway and am looking forward to reading. I can see getting burned out the psychological thrillers. I like to dip into them but I find if I read a bunch in a row they all kind of run together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point too, Katherine. They kind of all start sounding the same and then you can't remember was it this one or that one.

      Delete
  17. I'm looking forward to reading this one! I keep telling myself I need a break from thrillers, then another one catches my eye and I dive in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. That's me too. I've read a couple of books that were different lately and I think that has helped.

      Delete
  18. I am glad you liked this one as it is on my list to read. I have been in a big thriller mood as of late, but have also been craving fantasy, so it's been a mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand that. I've been reading a few different things, but am thinking that some romance might be in order before long.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!