.

.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Top 10 Tuesday - kay's favorite couples in mystery series...yes, there can be a bit of romance in crime novels


Top Ten Tuesday is a fun weekly event that is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.  This week's topic is a 'Love Freebie' and so I've decided to talk about my 'Favorite Couples in Mystery Series'.  Some of these are partners or friends or 'more than friends' or married.  Some have moved through those steps.  And, as I said in the title, yes, there can be a bit of romance in crime novels!  You knew I was going to bring the topic around to mysteries and thrillers, right?

I worried a little bit about spoilers here, but honestly, if you read many of the blurbs for these ongoing series, you'll get the idea about the couples.  And, as I said above, many of them moved through several steps before they got to the true 'couple' status.  I read many mystery series because I enjoy visiting the characters over and over and finding out what is next in their lives.  Sometimes, love is next.

1.  Eve Dallas and Roarke - J.D. Robb - Eve is a homicide lieutenant in the New York Police.  Roarke is an ex-criminal who has more money than he knows what to do with (billions).  46 books in the series.  Naked in Death is the first. 

2.  Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache - Louise Penny - Armand is now Chief Superintendent of the  Sûreté du Québec.  Reine-Marie is a retired librarian.  They are a lovely, lovely couple who anchor these books through the storms.  13 books in the series.  Still Life is the first. 

3.  Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe Emerson - Elizabeth Peters - Amelia is an Egyptologist and Emerson is an archaeologist in late 19th and early 20th century England and Egypt.  A very devoted and 'equal' couple.  20 books in the series.  Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first. 

4.  Daisy Dalrymple and Alec Fletcher - Carola Dunn - Daisy is a well born woman who becomes a journalist in the 1920's.  Alec Fletcher is a Detective Inspector with Scotland Yard.  22 books in the series.  Death At Wentwater Court is the first.

5.  Alafair and Shaw Tucker - Donis Casey - The Tuckers own a large farm in rural Oklahoma in the early 1900's.  They have 10 children.  Alafair is the sleuth, with Shaw to keep her grounded.  10 books in the series.  The Old Buzzard Had It Coming is the first.

6.  Deborah Knott and Dwight Bryant - Margaret Maron - Deborah is a district court judge in Colleton County, North Carolina.  Dwight is a deputy sheriff in the same county.  Deborah has a very large family - 11 older brothers - and her father was a bootlegger.  20 books in this now completed series.  Bootlegger's Daughter is the first.

7.  Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne - Julia Spencer-Fleming - Clare is an Episcopal priest and Russ is the Chief of Police in Millers Kill, New York.  Their relationship is complicated.  8 books in the series.  In the Bleak Midwinter is the first.

8.  Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James - Deborah Crombie - Both Duncan and Gemma work for Scotland Yard.  He is a Detective Superintendent and she is his Detective Sergeant.  17 books in the series.  A Share in Death is the first.

9.  Thomas and Charlotte Pitt - Anne Perry -  Set in Victorian times, Thomas is a police inspector and Charlotte is his well-born wife.  Charlotte's family and social connections are often valuable in solving the crimes that Thomas investigates.  32 books in this series.  The Cater Street Hangman is the first.

10.  Kate Burkholder and John Tomasetti - Linda Castillo - Kate is the Chief of Police in Painters Mill, Ohio, which has a significant Amish population.  Tomasetti is an agent with the state police.  9 books in the series.  Sworn to Silence is the first.   

There are many more couples in mystery series, but these are the ones that come to mind first.  And I'll leave you with one more couple (or maybe two) - not from a mystery - but from a swashbuckling book, The Princess Bride.  When thinking of great couples, who doesn't think of Westley and Buttercup?  However, I also think of Miracle Max and his Valerie.





Hope your Valentine's Day is a happy one!  

52 comments:

  1. My idea of love is a zombie chewing on some brains! I have no romance in me at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, there could be romance in a zombie tale. I like watching iZombie on TV and there's romance there. LOL

      Delete
  2. Good take on the topic!! I really want to read the Louise Penny series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all new to me, but I did just add my first Thomas Pitt book to my TBR. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad to say I don't know any of those couples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know that series mysteries are not usually your type of book. That might be why. LOL

      Delete

  5. Yes, The Princess Bride was the perfect pick for this week's topic.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't think about romance and not think about The Princess Bride. Ha!

      Delete
  6. Yes, to Kate Burkholder & John (love this series) and Clare Fergusson & Russ (also love this one, and impatiently awaiting next one).

    But you forgot... Ruth Galloway & Nelson from the Elly Griffiths series! They're such an unusual pairing :)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't forget them. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with their pairing. For them to be together permanently, he'd have to disengage himself from his wife. I'm not big on 'cheating' storylines, though I have made a small exception for Ruth and Nelson. Sigh. Wish Griffiths would resolve that one way or another.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to have to check out some of these couples. Great take on today's topic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like mysteries with a little romance in 'em. I still need to read the PEabody books. And westley & Buttercup- nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that Westley and Buttercup would be on many lists of 'great romance'.

      Delete
  9. I am obviously missing a lot of good romance reading! I'm amazed that you came up with ten. I could only think of two. Now you've created some new books (many, many books) for me to check out. I guess I should say thanks - do I really need more series to follow? Just kidding. I always love new recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, romance might be a little strong. These are people who come to love each other deeply. If that makes sense. And that, in real life, is what I consider romance. LOL

      Delete
  10. I have a hard time when a thriller turns into romance, see for instance my review for Framed posted yesterday!
    I really love Penny's series and the couple Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache, but I would actually never put the word 'romance' on their life. Funny, I don't associate romance with solid long lasting mature love life full of mutual support

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, what is romance really? I consider my husband and I have had a long romance and we have 'long lasting mature love full of mutual support'. Maybe it's just semantics. Regarding my husband, I still remember that 14-year-old boy that asked me out for a hamburger. LOL

      Delete
    2. He kinda still has the look of a boy!

      Delete
    3. Maybe with a lot more gray in his hair! LOL

      Delete
  11. What a brilliant take on the list this week Kay and I'm ashamed at how few of those couples I've 'met'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Cleo. There are just so many series. Unfortunately, we can't read them all, right?

      Delete
  12. Okay, I promise that one of these days I'm going to start reading Louise Penny; I'm just afraid that when I start, I won't be able to stop - ha! What a fun list, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, you don't have to read Louise Penny's books, but I think you would like them. She has a great philosophy of life. And murders. LOL

      Delete
  13. Great post, love Daisy and Alec, must read the last couple of those books. I too thought of Ruth & Nelson but like you I'm terribly conflicted about them (even though I'm not keen on his wife) and wish EG would resolve it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hardly know how to figure that relationship out successfully. And I do not like Nelson's wife at all. Sigh.

      Delete
  14. I love the Gamaches. They're a sweet, steady couple who really support and anchor each other. I love that their relationship is calm and drama-free :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They are a great couple. I always think about how she modeled Gamache on her husband, Michael.

      Delete
  15. There are a few couples here that I need to discover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you're familiar with most of them though. LOL

      Delete
  16. Great list, Kay! I think I'll be stumped with this theme, lol. I could only think of a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I don't read much romance, I had to go in a different direction.

      Delete
  17. Clare and Russ are soooo intriguing! To be fair these pairings all are in their own way -- wonderful list, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Verushka! Clare and Russ are great.

      Delete
  18. Ah, Armand and Reine-Marie are like the perfect couple! Obviously still so in love after so many years, and I love the way they can joke with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love mysteries and if they have a bit or romance even better! So I like how you combined this for TTT. I've read several of these and totally agree. One I would add is the Gaslight series by Victoria Thompson. Great main characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Victoria Thompson's books are on my list to try this year. I'm really going to work on that. LOL

      Delete
  20. I go back and forth about romance in mysteries, but couples and stable relationships are definitely fine. I need to try more of the Daisy Dalrymple series. And I see that the Alafair Tucker series is here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all my favorite couples that came to mind in about 5 minutes of thinking. LOL

      Delete
  21. I love Duncan and Gemma! One of the reasons I want to reread the series is to watch their relationship develop again. I love how it's evolving even after they've been together for quite some time. I'm glad to see the Louise Penny series on your list. I love them and was almost afraid to keep reading because I was afraid she'd kill of his wife or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Duncan and Gemma too. And I think Crombie has done a good job of figuring out how to move them forward since they can't be be boss and sergeant any more. No, I don't think Penny will get rid of Gamache's wife. If so, I think it would be the end of the series. She is his anchor.

      Delete
  22. Nobody can beat Peabody and Emerson. Such a great partnership. "Sapphirine blue eyes"

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Miracle Max and Valerie. :-) Charlotte and Thomas Pitt are one of my favorite mystery couples. They work so well together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte and Thomas are a great duo. And I had to put Max and Valerie in there. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!