.

.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Best Of 2015 - A look back at 10-ish book favorites....OK, more than 10!!

I can't believe that 2015 is just about at an end.  Where did the time go?  I've been thinking about the books I read and listened to this last year and considering which ones I remember best.  I've also been reading some very interesting 'Best of 2015' posts by all of you.  Some great, great books being talked about.

I read fewer books in 2015 than I did in 2014 and I don't think that was such a bad thing.  In one of my first posts on this blog, I said that I felt I rushed through my reading at times in 2014 and my large (for me) final total was a bit deceptive.  Does it count when you don't remember much about the book?  Not sure.

Total Books Read in 2015 - 113
Kindle Books - 51
Personal Books in Print - 12
Audiobooks - 50

Non-Fiction - 3
Fiction - 110

Male Author - 18
Female Author - 95

These numbers are just that - numbers.  Probably interesting only to me.  I do think it's of note that audio has crept up to almost 50% of my reading.  My male/female author ratio is about the same as previous years and I've mentioned more than once that non-fic is not my preferred book type. Tomorrow, I'll share a goal or two for 2016.

Here are the books that I enjoyed the most for 2015.  My link is to my review or if there wasn't a review, the post I mentioned the book or books.  I did cheat a bit by having a category for some series that I read in their entirety and loved.  These are not in any special order.


Kay's Best of 2015




Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes



Being Mortal by Atul Gawande



The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson



The Chessmen by Peter May



One Kick by Chelsea Cain



The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan


Honorable Mention (because it was so fun to listen to)



As You Wish by Cary Elwes


Best Series Read in 2015

There were four mystery series that I read in their entirety this year.  Each of them was new to me.  Well, even here I'm cheating a bit.  I read the first book in Jane Casey's series last year.  I'm listing the first book for each and linking to that review.  



Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series (8 books)



Nicci French's Frieda Klein series (5 books)



Jane Casey's Maeve Kerrigan series (6 books)
The Reckoning (2nd book in series)



Robert Galbraith's Cormoran Strike series (3 books)


I had an excellent reading year.  So many great books - new series - new authors.  Lots and lots of fun.  Tomorrow, I'll be around to say 'Happy New Year' and talk a bit about what I'd like to do in 2016.  Thanks for stopping by and checking out my 'Best of 2015'!!

40 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Being Mortal, but every time I think I will, I think it will bring me down so set it aside. It looks like you had a great reading year. Hear's to a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, it is a sobering book, but I think it's not horribly depressing. There's a lot of information there that is helpful - at least I thought so. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  2. I loved Being Mortal. Maybe it's my age. It was interesting thinking about death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Being Mortal is great book for people to read in order to consider a lot of deep questions. I found it very interesting, but then I had dealt with a lot of the issues with caring for my parents.

      Delete
  3. The Kind Worth Killing was on my long list for favorites of the year but didn't make the final cut. I hope to read Being Mortal in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with Being Mortal, Kathy. I know that it's not necessarily been one that you were eager to read. I remember that you liked The Kind Worth Killing. That may have been the push I needed to read it. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm listening to The Kind Worth Killing now and am loving it. I also love Peter May, as you know, and also adored One Kick. I need to start the Galbraith in 2016. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll be interested in hearing your final analysis of The Kind Worth Killing - twists within twists. And, yes, you need to read the Galbraith books.

      Delete
  5. We share one book - Being Mortal. I've had my eye on The Royal We and Nicci French's series. You've had a great reading year, Kay. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a good reading year. The Royal We was one that I found a little long, but looking back, I did enjoy it so much. Happy 2016 to you too, JoAnn!

      Delete
  6. I discovered Elizabeth Haines this year and really enjoyed her book. I'm curious about Peter May, Nicci French, and pretty much all the others you mention. I keep hoping my library will get As You Wish in audio because I really want to listen to it! I may have to break down and buy it. This was really the year I discovered audio books and I didn't really track them at all. I'm planning on keeping track of them in 2016 so I'll be interested in seeing how I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, try Peter May's Lewis trilogy. The first if The Blackhouse. So bleak, but so good. I hope you find As You Wish - just that voice - so good!

      Delete
  7. So many great choices; I love Peter May's trilogy & Nicci French and Into a Darkest Corner is one of my most widely recommended books of the last few years - and of course we both chose The Kind Worth Killing - Happy New Year and here's to many more great reads in 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Cleo! Yes, we had a 'meeting of the minds' on some of these books. Many more to come, I'm sure. :-)

      Delete
  8. You had a great year Kay, so many audio books too.

    Have a Happy & Healthy 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - more audiobooks meant that I was spending more time not sitting. A good thing for me. Thanks for the good wishes, Diane!

      Delete
  9. Being Mortal and The Various Haunts of Men are on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved The Royal We - glad to see it on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I picked it up because of your enthusiasm about it. I thought it was a little long as I read it, but looking back, it was a lot of fun. Thanks for enthusing!

      Delete
  11. I love reading your list! Don't you and Les and I read different books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always have, mostly. Although we do overlap some. Occasionally.

      Delete
  12. Being Mortal is on my TBR list (several friends have recommended it) and I have The Kind Worth Killing on audio - need to listen soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both would be worth your time, Mary. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  13. You'd a great reading year, Kay! I enjoyed reading your list; and I need to read Cormoran Strike series soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy the Strike series, Melody!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on a great reading year, Kay! How cool that we both had one book in common in our faves list. Actually I also really loved Being Mortal and probably should have mentioned that too. What a fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I feel like I'm on a mission to make sure everyone considers reading Being Mortal.

      Delete
  15. I'm late to reading this post but I just wanted to comment and say that I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed One Kick! Chelsea Cain is one of my most favourite authors, so I always get really ridiculously happy when others I know enjoy her books too. And Into The Darkest Corner - oh man, what I tense read, right? I read it back in 2014 and it made my 'Best Of' list that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've scheduled Into The Darkest Corner for the March read with my mystery book group. I'm hoping that the others in the group will like it as much as I did. And I can't wait for the next Kick Lannigan book.

      Delete
  16. I loved The Darkest Corner also, amazing. I wish I could get my book club to read a mystery, HA. I need to finish Chelsea Cain's series, so good. I am very interested in that series by Nicci French also. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Marce, you just need to come on down (where do you live anyway?) to Austin, TX and you can join our group. We're always looking for more mystery lovers. :-)

      Delete
  17. Being Mortal seems to be showing up on a lot of lists - I really need to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very thought provoking book, Lisa.

      Delete
  18. What a great post, Kay! I used to read a more even number of male versus female authors and now it's definitely more women. I admit it is in part due to some of my reading choices, but it still surprises me. I am so thrilled to See Into the Darkest Corner on your list! I love that book so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too. My mystery group will be reading it together for our March meeting. I'm hoping others will enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  19. What a great list Kay. I have only read one of your choices, but that means several new additions to my to-read list. I enjoyed the first two books in the Cormoran Strike series and am looking forward to the third book as soon as it comes from the library. I hope your 2016 reading experience is even better than 2015. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margot! I think you'll enjoy Career Of Evil, #3 Strike book. I can't wait for #4.

      Delete
  20. This past year, like you, I had almost half of my 'reading' coming by way of audio. My non-fiction has crept up over the years (I blame it on Gage ;)).
    I loved Cuckoo's Calling and really need to get caught up. The Nicci French series has been on my wishlist for years! Thanks for sharing your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a treat ahead of you with the 2nd and 3rd Strike books. And also with the Nicci French series. Fun!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!