.

.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Bookish Nostalgia - December 2015


I know we are right at the end of the month, but let's go ahead and do this Bookish Nostalgia anyway.  Plus it will give me a chance to get my blog post writing legs under me again.  So to speak.  And it's also cold and windy outside.  My cough is better, but there's no sense in making things worse by heading out into the cedar pollen that my area is full of.  Oh yes, we were doing a nostalgia post.  For Decembers of the last 20 years, here's what I was reading:





December 1995 - Killer Pancake by Diane Mott Davidson - This is the 5th book in Davidson's Goldy Schulz, caterer deluxe, series.  In this episode, Goldy is catering a banquet for a cosmetics company.  The only problem is that there are animal rights activists protesting and soon, one of the cosmetics employees is dead.  Goldy, who was supposed to be providing low-fat and also delicious delights, finds herself in the middle of the investigation.  Have you ever read any of Diane Mott Davidson's mysteries?  There are 17 of them, but not one published since 2013.  I believe that this author might have been one of the first to include recipes along with her mystery stories.  When the initial book was published in 1990 (25 years now), I thought that was the most clever thing.  Still do and I always meant to try some of the recipes.  Recently, Ms. Davidson released a new book, which is a cookbook, that I want to read - Goldy's Kitchen Cookbook: Cooking, Writing, Family, Life.  Sounds like fun.




December 2000 - Death Comes As Epiphany by Sharan Newman - This is the 1st book in author Newman's Catherine LeVendeur series - which has 10 books.  Last series entry was published in 2004.  I remember really loving this book, but sadly did not continue reading the series.  I must remedy that.  Catherine LeVendeur is a scholar in 12th century France.  She comes to stay in a convent to consider her sin of pride.  She is then sent on a mission by the Abbess Heloise (yes, that Heloise).  The convent's reputation is at stake, along with the Abbess' and Catherine finds adventure on her quest.  Newman is herself a medieval scholar and this series might compare well with the Cadfael books.




December 2005 - The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini - This is a favorite book of mine that I have read more than once in the last 10 years.  Chiaverini has written many books using quilts and the Elm Creek Quilting group to tell tales and this is the first.  I think she might have finished this series, but she has now turned her attention to mostly historical fiction, which I suspect also contain quilt lore and needlework as part of her storylines.  In Quilter's Apprentice, we first meet Sarah McClure and an older lady who comes to be her mentor, Sylvia Compson.  I love this series and may think about rereading it this next year.  Each book has a bit of a mystery, a lot of drama, and usually relates events from the past through quilting.





December 2010 - Blood Memory by Greg Iles - This is a stand alone book by Iles, though a couple of characters show up in other books.  Cat Ferry is a forensic odontologist and very well thought of.  She has a panic attack at the scene of a crime in New Orleans and goes home to Mississippi to rest.  No rest for the weary or panic stricken though.  What she finds are secrets from her family's past and Greg Iles, being the master Southern storyteller that he is, well, things get complicated.  As is usual for me with this author, I loved it.  I'm not sure he can write a bad book, in my opinion anyway.  The South is full of creepy when you visit it with Greg Iles.

Well, that's it for this edition of Bookish Nostalgia.  As this feature continues in January, our years will move forward as well to 1996-2011.  Looking forward to revisiting my old notebooks to see what I might find.  See you in a week or so for the January 2016 Bookish Nostalgia.

38 comments:

  1. Definitely stay inside if you can. Take care of yourself. Those coughs like to linger. I used to give my mom Diane Mott Davidson books for her birthday. I never did get into them, but she sure seemed to like them. :-)

    I read Jennifer Chiaverini's Christmas novel earlier this month, my first taste of her writing. I've heard good things about The Quilter's Apprentice. I am glad to hear you liked it.

    I just realized my husband hasn't brought my daughter in to brush her teeth and it's way past her (and my) bedtime. At least she gets to sleep in in the morning. I have to be at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, inside a bunch this time of year for me. We have the cedar pollen flying and I'm allergic.

      I can definitely recommend The Quilter's Apprentice as a nice comforting read.

      Delete
  2. I hope you feel better soon, Kay. There's no better excuse to stay indoors with a good book.

    Am rather tickled by the book entitled, Killer Pancake... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath. I think I am doing better and may see the light at the end of this illness tunnel. Yes, those Davidson books all have good 'foodie' mystery titles.

      Delete
  3. I hope the pollen doesn't hang around too long. We just experienced our first winter storm - rain, sleet, 9" of snow, high winds, ice - all good reasons to stay home and read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you guys stay safe. I know you're probably used to that winter weather, but still. A good excuse indeed for a cup of tea and a book.

      Delete
  4. So glad you're back to blogging, Kay. Thanks for sharing your walk down memory book lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for stopping by, Catherine. I look forward to 2016 and lots more book talk.

      Delete
  5. I read a couple of the Chiaverini books and those are such comfort reads. I should seek more out. Can you believe this crazy weather we are having here? So glad we didn't get the storms they got in the DFW area. Scary. Anyway, looking forward to your favorites of 2015 list! I've got to get mine ready this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have my favorites post up in a couple of days. As to the weather - crazy indeed. Thought I would roast on Christmas. We had the A/C going because I wasn't the only one prone to coughing. And yesterday's cold wind. I'm so sorry for those people in the DFW area. No one thinks about tornadoes at Christmas. :-(

      Delete
  6. I hope you can kick that cough soon! Rod has been sniffling for the past month or so and I'm pretty sure it's seasonal allergies since he doesn't act or sound like he has a cold.

    I've only read the first in the Quilter's series and might like to give the rest a try someday. All I remember about the first is that I felt quite irritated with the main character. She lacked backbone and came across very whiny, at least until the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it will leave eventually. And yes, I think it's mostly allergies and complications from such. Every single year. I take the meds, but cedar and I do not live well together. Texas is full of cedar.

      I laughed about what you said regarding the first Quilter's book. You are right. Sarah is indeed whiny. Somehow, it didn't bother me, although often that type of thing does.

      Delete
  7. I'm staying inside as much as possible. I'm so tired of being sick so I'm hoping if I get plenty of rest this will actually go away! I had forgotten about Diane Mott Davidson. I've read a few of hers but it's been ages. It's a series that should revisit. I think you're right about the recipes. I remember hers having them and Katherine Hall Page and that was about it. Hope the pollen goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have cedar allergies every single year. Texas is full of cedar trees. I've had this since I was a little girl and I was trying to count up how many Christmases I've been sick in my life. It's a bunch. Ah well. It's a good time to be idle-ish. Hope you improve, Katherine. Being sick is definitely an exercise in patience.

      Delete
  8. I do like the sound of The Quilters Apprentice with its mixture of mystery and quilting - it must be good if you plan on re-reading once more - I do hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cleo! Well, I like the historical aspects of the quilt stories and also the interaction of the characters. Not a traditional mystery at all, but satisfying to me anyway.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Kay! I have read most of the Diane Mott Davidson series but not the others. Ditto on the cedar. Looking forward to a great 2016 Mystery Book Club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gayle! Yes, Mystery Group will hopefully have a fun 2016. And cedar, cedar, go away - I know it won't happen until March or so. :-(

      Delete
  10. Diane Mott Davidson's books are fun! Great to see you blogging again! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! Yes, I used to read each and every Davidson book, right as they were published.

      Delete
  11. I love her books...haven't read one in a while. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of these but a couple are on my TBR list. It is such fun to hear your thoughts on these books that you read years ago. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a good time going back and deciding which book to feature. Trip down memory lane. :-)

      Delete
  13. I hope you feel better soon! I love Diane Mott Davidson's series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne! Yes, I used to read them right as they were published for many years. One of my go-to authors for a long time.

      Delete
  14. Definitely stay indoors, Kay! Plus, it's always nice to read a book with a nice cup of coffee or tea with the cold winds blowing outside. I know I'd love that! Bummer we only have summer! Oh well.

    Here's wishing you a Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Move to Texas, Melody. We have 4 seasons in a week. Ha! Kind of what we had in the last couple of weeks - unusual heat, tornadoes, blizzard, ice. It's never dull.

      Delete
  15. I see some books in your list that I'd like to read. I have a few Diane Mott Davidson books but haven't read them yet.

    Hope you feel better soon. Wishing you and your family a Blessed and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you, Vicki, and hope the same for you.

      Delete
  16. This is such a cool idea. I don't think I have ever looked back to see what I was reading at this time years ago.

    I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy New Year's Eve. Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had fun doing it. Sometimes it's very enlightening and sometimes I just say 'huh?'. LOL

      Delete
  17. As always, an interesting bunch! The Sharan Newman looks interesting - I think you should quickly catch up on those and let us know whether we should read the series... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a project. OK, I'll think about it. ;-)

      Delete
  18. It is so much fun reading these posts! And again, I really should start doing them myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. It's fun to remember and it's amazing how much one can remember just from a list of books.

      Delete
  19. Blood Memory was my first Iles book and I really liked it. And I liked The Quilter's Apprentice quite a bit bt for some reason haven't continued on with the series. Theses nostalgia posts have inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy! I like doing this because it reminds me of books I've read that I loved. Makes me want to go back and experience that again.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!