.

.

Monday, June 24, 2019

The Broadmoor in Colorado - Part 1

I'm finally getting around to talking about The Broadmoor, the destination hotel that my husband and I visited in early May.  He was attending a work conference and I was tagging along for fun.  When I was a little girl, my maternal grandparents lived in Colorado Springs for a few years.  My grandfather worked at the Air Force Academy.  They returned to Texas when I was about 6, but I do have memories of visiting them there and some of the local attractions.  We didn't ever go to The Broadmoor, but they talked about it.  

A little history of this pretty famous hotel - the centennial of The Broadmoor was in 2018, so it was built in 1918.  Colorado Springs was a small town at the time and my understanding is that the man who built The Broadmoor, Spencer Penrose, was quite a character.  Lots of history here.  Last year, the resort prepared for a big centennial celebration and so the whole place was spiffed up.  There were exhibits and displays, a Spencer Penrose Museum on site, and history tours are offered.  I took advantage of one of the tours and took a look at the museum.  Pictures of interior things on Wednesday.  Today, I'll show you a few outside shots from my walking.



I took this picture during my first morning breakfast.  I had a lovely window table and that's a glimpse of the outside.



It had snowed and then rained the day before and it was still a bit damp outside.  The Broadmoor has part of the hotel on one side of this small lake and the other section on the other side.  It's a really big property.  There is a walking trail around the lake that was about 3/4 of a mile long.  I walked round and round, though it was a little cold for this Texas girl.



There was a sidewalk/bridge that spanned between the two sides, so that people didn't have to go all the way around.  



Lots of these birds were seen.  My husband said someone told him it was a kind of magpie.  I told him that was perfect because magpies were used in crime fiction all the time.



There were swans and ducks.  It was cold enough on my walk that my hands got very chilled and so I stopped in at a coffee bar in one of the lobbies and picked up a latte.  That helped my hands stay warm, but I had to find somewhere to 'park it' while I took a picture.  



This picture was from the next day and the clouds were breaking up.  You can see some mountains through them.  It was just beautiful and I passed lots of walkers on my trek round and round the lake.  The Broadmoor also had shuttles to nearby local sites, but I stuck to their property.  Lots to see.



Last picture for today.  I took this picture for my 'cupcake baking' daughter to see, but it makes a more fun picture than one of the coffee bar.  Ha!  I didn't try any of these, but don't they look good?  There were more tasty treats in the display cases.  And also more shops.  I did have a most delicious mixed berry muffin from this shop.  Yum!

------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be back on Wednesday with some info about my 'history tour' and a couple of pictures from the museum.

26 comments:

  1. Love these! I always enjoy viewing another blogger's travels-- armchair traveling for me. Never been to CO, would like to go someday and that hotel is swoon-worthy. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like viewing the travels of others too. The hotel was very nice. Glad we got to see it and stay there. Probably wouldn't go back unless for a conference or something. A little too much for me - ha!

      Delete
  2. Definitely looks like a great place to take a walk! (even though it was cold outside!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I wasn't as prepared for the cold as I thought I would be. It was nicer later in our stay.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place!! I'd love walk a few laps around that lake... with an audiobook, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. An audiobook was involved - as you might expect. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I too would love to walk around that lake. But I'm happy that we were in Colorado after you -- we had some rain but no snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nicer later in the week. As you can see from that post I did on the Garden of the Gods walk.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful hotel and grounds! Nice to have the shuttles to other places, but it does look as if there is plenty to see and appreciate without leaving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shuttles were a nice touch. We've been to Colorado Springs several times and so I had already visited all the places that the shuttles went.

      Delete
  6. What a fun place to visit! Thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of the Broadmoor before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those places that has been around forever, but you might not have heard of it. I'll have more to say about the history on Wednesday when I have 'part 2'. LOL

      Delete
  7. Amazing place. Definitely a magpie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the bird, Cath.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is a magpie-- a black-billed magpie. I'm not being picky; it's because there are yellow-billed magpies, too! LOL

      Delete
    3. Yellow-billed and black-billed? Hmmm...

      Delete
  8. I'd love to visit Colorado some day - it always looks so gorgeous, and The Broadmoor looks like a wonderful place to stay (and Im not just thinking of the cupcakes!) It did make me laugh, though, because over here Broadmoor is the name of our national facility for the criminally insane...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you were thinking about the cupcakes - I know you...ha! How funny about the name - I did know that the Broadmoor in your part of the world was for those individuals, but...I didn't think of it.

      Delete
  9. That is quite the luxurious hotel! I've been to Colorado Springs, but stayed with friends. It would have been fun to at least walk the grounds of this beautiful resort. I'm pretty sure I'd buy one of those Red Velvet cupcakes. No harm in just one, right? ;)

    Guess the weather is still chilly in CO. My cousins are in Longmont and we have friends in Red Feather Lakes. They both posted pictures of snow yesterday! No thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about getting one of the cupcakes, but I decided to go with the muffin. It was lovely! Yes, I heard that about snow last Friday in Colorado.

      Delete
  10. The Broadmoor looks gorgeous! I'd love to go to Colorado soon. If nothing else there are absolutely stunning hotels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely lovely hotels there. I think the setting adds to the appeal. Who wouldn't like a view of the Rockies?

      Delete
  11. Beautiful grounds. I just got back from Florida. hot hot hot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Florida in summer is definitely hot. :-)

      Delete
  12. That place is amazing. I would love it there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!