.

.

Thursday, September 3, 2020

It's September and is it fall? Maybe fall-ish at some point and some reading...

Hello book friends!  I don't have a nice picture to share here this time.  Forgot to take one, but never fear.  I'll have one the next time.  Ha!  Actually, I tried to take a couple of the full moon early this morning, but they didn't please me.  So, it's September of this year of 2020.  Sometimes it feels that time is passing quickly, but mostly it just feel like a 'never-ending' year to me.  Ah well.  No complaining.  My new motto, along with 'avoid most of the news'.  Let's talk about what I've been reading.



First I'll share a little about our mystery book group's discussion of Ruth Ware's The Turn of the Key.  We met last night virtually and the opinions were about 50% (or maybe a little less) liked it well enough.  Probably 50% didn't care for it.  I will say that this book is creepy with the 'smart house' theme.  Also, not too many likable characters or maybe no likable characters.  And the ending is a more than a little ambiguous.  This group had read Ware's first book, In a Dark Dark Wood, a few years ago and that book remains my favorite of hers.  It seemed that she did take inspiration from Henry James and his The Turn of the Screw, but diverged from that story some.  Not sure too many in the group will seek out Ruth Ware's next book (to be published this next week), One By One, but because the inspiration seems to be Agatha Christie, I'll be checking it out.



As to other reading, I've read 4 more Memory Man books by David Baldacci.  Really liked all of them and will be watching for the next entry into that series.  The newest, #6, was published this spring, Walk the Wire.  I like Amos Decker, the main protagonist, and also his partner, Alex Jamison.  Walk the Wire takes place in North Dakota in a fracking town.  That's not all that is there and another Baldacci character makes an appearance.  I won't say which one it is because that might be too big of a spoiler.  I will say that I'm looking forward to his new Atlee Pine book, Daylight, which will be out in November.  I've noticed that since I've not read many books by this author, I have several series to sample if I so choose.  I love that! 



After I was caught up with the Memory Man, I decided to follow one of my usual summer reading 'rules' - read cold books in summer.  I had read Kelley Armstrong's first Rockton book, City of the Lost, a while back and enjoyed it.  I decided to reread that one and then continue with the books currently out in that series.  I'm now on #2, A Darkness Absolute, and loving the cold and the characters and the remote Canadian wilderness location.  In case you don't know about this series, Rockton is a small town where people who need to disappear apply to come.  Casey Duncan is a homicide detective who has that need and she arrives to become part of Rockton's very small law enforcement group.  Some of the people in Rockton are nice and some are not.  And then there is the wilderness location and the off-the-grid theme.  I'm finding these books hold my interest quite well.

I also attended a virtual event yesterday that featured Louise Penny talking about her new book, All the Devils Are Here.  The event was hosted by Murder By the Book, an independent mystery bookstore in Houston.  Store owner, McKenna Jordan, did a great job chatting with Louise and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about her writing process for this book and also how her life has been in the last few months.  Louise herself was in London and, having just arrived a few days ago, quaratined for now.  It was great that we could all 'attend' the event virtually.  One nice thing to come from this whole year - lots of author events that we can watch.  My copy of All the Devils Are Here is on my way from Murder By the Book and I will be reading it before long.  

That's about all I have.  Our weather here has been mega-humid and, though the rain chances are welcome, a promised cool front can't get here soon enough.  Maybe next week I'll be able to say that I've walked outside and not sweated a bucket - I hope so.  Take care and talk to you guys soon!   

40 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm avoiding most of the news, too. I know my beliefs and I can't change those of others who are firmly cemented in theirs, so why bang my head on my desk every single day? ;)

    I think I'll skip Ruth Ware's book. I enjoyed her first mystery/thriller but didn't care for the next and haven't been interested ever since.

    I can't wait to read the latest by Louise Penny. My mom has it on her Nook, but I'm waiting to borrow a friend's copy so it may be another week or so before I can lay my hands on it. I haven't been this excited about a new release in a long time!!

    Our temps are going to be warmer over the next week, but we desperately need rain. Oregon has several fires, including one just east of Florence near Mapleton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I think you could definitely skip the Ruth Ware book. I'm betting you'd like her new one better. I'm planning on reading that one soon. And, of course, Louise Penny's new book. :-)

      Delete
  2. I read the first two Rockton books during quarantine and hope to read the third in the next month! I keep telling myself I need to get back to the Penny series. I might make 2021 my year of catching up (it would take a book/month to do that!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I think a catch-up time period sounds like a plan. I'm now on the 5th Rockton book and then will be caught up until next February. Really like this series.

      Delete
  3. I like your rule about reading cold books in summer. I finished The Snow Child not too long ago while at the Beach ... which was crazy but it worked. And I'm a bit curious about Ware's new book which is set at a ski chalet about a group being isolated & snowed in. Seems ripe for some spookiness ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on reading Ware's new book too. It has a very Agatha Christie-ish vibe to it. And reading cold books at the beach sounds perfect. LOL

      Delete
  4. I'm excited to give the Kelley Armstrong series a try, even though I'm already four books behind in reading it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I think you'd like the Rockton series. Try it if you get a chance.

      Delete
  5. Two very good mottos, Kay.

    I have never read David Baldacci. He has written a lot of books, but at least the series don't run too long.

    I am looking forward to reading A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong. Also looking forward to reading my next Louise Penny book, The Beautiful Mystery. Both of these are Canadian books so I want to do reviews on the ones I have already read before reading them.

    Our weather has been coolish lately but we are going to have a hot spell over the weekend. No real cooling off here (or rain) for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm really liking the Rockton series. I'm on #5 right now and then will be caught up until a new one next February. A very unique series.

      Delete
  6. We are waiting here for next Wednesday when a cool front is headed our way.

    I feel the same way you do about the year. In many ways, though, it's ideal. I wake up and read all day and go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Deb, that cool front. Darn it! I think it's stalling out just west and north of us or so the weather people say now. Oh well. It is just September. Plenty of time for cooler weather, right?

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear it's so humid there. We have autumn with a vengeance, two or three named storms so far and I'm guessing more to come. Some years summer stays through September but not this year!

    I must get back to the Kelley Armstrong series, I read City of the Lost last year I think. And I must try Ruth Ware someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, it's almost always humid here. Not as bad as at the coast, but we're close enough for the effects to a certain extent. We usually have summer-ish weather well into September and sometimes October even.

      Delete
  8. I'm very much looking forward to Louise Penny's new book! The event sounds fun. I need to catch up on Ruth Ware's books; they're perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruth Ware's books fit well with fall. And I hope you love the new Penny book. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

      Delete
  9. There was a full moon? That explains so much about today! I know the research says a full moon doesn't really mean anything, but all the officers, hospital staff, mental health professionals, and social workers I work with would argue otherwise. I'm so glad my work day is over for today. LOL

    I liked Turn of the Key when I read it, but I liked In a Dark, Dark Wood much better. It was interesting to read about your book group's take on the book.

    The virtual author event sounded fun! I have seen advertisements for events at the local indie here, but I haven't had a chance to attend one yet.

    I hope you enjoy your reading and they keep you cool during all this heat! Have a great September, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched several virtual author events, though this was the first one that was 'live', for me anyway. Most are available on Youtube and can be accessed through a bookstore's website I think.

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed The Turn of the Key, very creepy. Avoiding the news is a good policy, though it's hard to look away sometimes! I want to stay informed, but sometimes it takes a toll on me.

    Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you and I like the creepy, Gothic fall books. Better to 'scared' that way and avoid being scared by the news. LOL

      Delete
  11. I didn't care for The Turn of the Key, but liked One by One. My favorite is still In a Dark, Dark Wood. Can't wait for the next one in the Rockton series, and Louise Penny is always fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to One by One. And I'm on #5 of the Rockton series. So good!

      Delete
  12. I think I am definitely picking up The Turn of the Screw for R.I.P.! I would love to visit Murder by the Book one day. Will have to check out some of their virtual events. Hope you are enjoying the cooler temps here. Isn't it nice to finally have a break? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Turn of the Screw is a very creepy book, Iliana. You might read that one and then try The Turn of the Key. I think you can access Murder by the Book's virtual events through their website or maybe they have a Youtube channel.

      Delete
  13. Sam Sattler posted about virtual book festivals with some dates, but I wonder how you found out about the ones you've seen. Did you watch on youtube or do you do zoom or just how do you do it?
    It's definitely summer until 9:30 am on the 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, yes, mostly I've watched those author events on Youtube, but those are not 'live'. I think most bookstores have a way to access them through their websites or maybe have a Youtube channel. I know that The Poisoned Pen has many events. This particular event was 'live' and by invitation after a person bought the book from Murder By the Book. I think it's now available for many to watch. Most book festivals are taking place virtually and they all have their own way of doing things. You might search for a particular festival and see if a website if available with more info. Otherwise, you could look on bookstore websites. I find out about some of them through newsletters that I get from time to time.

      Delete
  14. I'm waiting for my copy of One By One to arrive. I've enjoyed most of Ruth Ware's books and while not all are stellar read, they kept me engaged and intrigued. :)

    I've only read the first book of Armstrong's Rockton series so far. Have to catch up with the rest. So many books, so little time! Hope you've a wonderful weekend, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, hope you like the new Ware book. I think I'll like it more as Agatha Christie is the inspiration. And I'm loving the Rockton series.

      Delete
  15. The Turn of the Key was creepy. I'm reading the new one One By One now; pretty good and a familiar set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch for what you think about it, Diane!

      Delete
  16. I wish I had remembered about the virtual event with Louise Penny. I got an email about it and then forgot. Was during work at home hours but I could have listened. Glad you knew about it though. I am going to read One by One also. I have liked all of her books alot, except The Lying Game. Those people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I think the Penny event is likely available for all to watch now on Murder By the Book's Youtube channel. If not, there are probably other ones that she's done.

      Delete
  17. How fun that you got to hear Louise Penny! Sounds like she had a lot of interesting things to say. I need to get caught up on the Gamache series.

    Cool weather would be really nice. My husband's car showed that it was 124 degrees out today. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 124 degrees! That's a little too hot, Susan, though I'm not surprised with that Arizona sun. I did enjoy the Penny event. Looking forward to reading the book.

      Delete
  18. I don't think Turn of the Key was Ware's best, and I think she sometimes falls flat on the endings; still, I always enjoy her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I've liked all her books well enough, but I still like the first one best. They are not for everybody though. LOL

      Delete
  19. Yes, Turn of the Key was indeed creepy. Probably best to not go there. Ruth Ware does have a way with the Gothic side of things. I think her new one is inspired by Christie's And Then There Were None, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really need to avoid the news but there is a tiny part of me that seeks out good news too so therefore I jump in and then wish otherwise.

    Turn of the Key was creepy with the smart house stuff going on. I thought it was suspenseful enough and enjoyed it at the time that I read it. The ending always torques people but I was okay with it although I thought it was anti-climactic.

    I have Ware's new book but I heard it's not a page turner and I am immersed in RIP reading at the moment so I will read it at some point, just not now. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Per your recommendation I just finished listening to Memory Man and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!