.

.

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

What I've been reading in September...

***Blogger and I are still learning to get along these days.  I accidentally 'published' this post, but it obviously wasn't ready for that.  Let's try this again...with more content.  Ha!

------------------------------------------------------------ 

Hello book friends!  How have you been?  Hope all are well and staying buried in books and reading.  That's what I've been doing mostly and I've read some good books.  Several good books actually.  Let me share about them.

I got caught up on Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series, which has 5 books right now and will have #6 in February.  I read #3 This Fallen Prey, #4 Watcher in the Woods, and #5 Alone in the Wild.  I really like this series which is set in the wilds of Canada, off the grid, and features Casey Duncan, her significant other Eric Dalton, and others.  The reader learns more and more about Rockton and the people who live there and in the area.  Crazy stuff.



My next read was One By One, Ruth Ware's new book set in the French Alps.  Our mystery book group had read her previous book, The Turn of the Key, for September (which was about 50-50 thumbs up by our group).  I was excited to start this one because I suspected that her inspiration was Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.  The answer to that question was 'yes-ish'.  I did like this book.  It held my interest and made feel quite cold.  Set at a ski chalet in winter, a group from a start-up tech company comes for a work retreat and lots of things happen.  Scary things.  Dire things.  I won't tell too much, but I will say that I guessed how it might play out early on.  There were a few surprises, but not as many as I might have liked.  As I said, I liked it, but I think that Ware's first book, In a Dark, Dark Wood, remains my favorite. 



On to the new Louise Penny book, #16 in her mystery series, and one I was really anticipating (I'm always anticipating Louise's new books!).  Oh my word!  I loved this book.  I really did.  I can say that about all this author's writing, but some books are special favorites and I think All the Devils Are Here will qualify for that with me.  It is set almost entirely in Paris with the characters mostly being from Gamache's own family.  That is not a bad thing for me, but I know that some of this author's fans mostly prefer for the setting to remain in Canada and Three Pines.  However, in my opinion, it's good for Louise to take her characters out of the small village occasionally and some of my favorites are set in other spots.  I mentioned that I attended an event virtually where Penny spoke about her work and she said that when she's outside of Three Pines, she is able to reveal more about Gamache and whoever is with him because she doesn't have to update so much about the many characters that reside in Three Pines - or not update as much.  I can see that here.  

For me, this was a book about family - the Gamache family.  Many things are revealed that we might have guessed or that the author had hinted in the past.  Reine-Marie Gamache has a big role in this book as does Jean Guy.  Armand's growing-up years are mentioned and sorted through a bit.  His godfather appears.  And Daniel, the Gamache's son, is finally front and center, which he has not been through the whole series.  We learn a lot.  This story is about family and love and betrayal and lies and trust and discovering still more aspects of our protagonist, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache.  Highly recommended by me. 
 


The last book I'll talk about today is #5 in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), Troubled Blood.  I had been highly anticipating this book as I've really enjoyed the whole Strike series.  And I wasn't disappointed, though the reader might need to know that this book came in at 944 pages.  I didn't mind and actually did a read/listen and loved it.  Cormoran and Robin, his partner in the private detective firm, are asked to investigate a cold case disappearance of a woman by her daughter.  The woman, Dr. Margo Bamborough, has been missing for 40 years, so quite a 'cold' case.  Cormoran has never taken a cold case, but he and Robin and their other colleagues give it their best.  There are other cases as well, of course, and also a lot of family situations for both Robin and Cormoran.  We get to know their colleagues better and our protagonists better.  As I said, I really loved the book.  It wasn't particularly fast-paced for the most part, but I was OK with that.  Another highly recommended series.  

That's about all I have today.  I'm currently listening to The Widows by Jess Montgomery for our October mystery book group discussion.  I'm reading the first book in Nora Roberts' Chronicles of the One trilogy, Year One.  I'll share my thoughts about both of those in couple of weeks, along with whatever else has crossed my path.  Take care.  Wear your mask.  Enjoy your reading! 

42 comments:

  1. Some good books! I plan to read the 4th Rockton book in October. Loving that series. Stay safe, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I think the Rockton series is a great one. Enjoy the 4th book and my hope is that you guys are well and safe too!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you'd some great reading moments, Kay! I'm glad to hear you liked One by One. I'm always looking forward to a new Ruth Ware book. And like you, In a Dark, Dark Wood remains my favourite.

    I still haven't read the rest of Kelley Armstrong's and Louise Penny's series. Only read the first book so I know I've a lot of catching up to do.

    PS: I don't like the new Blogger. I'm still trying to get used to all the new/improved (?) features. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger - not a fan right now, but as I'm only posting every week or two, it's fine. I'll be curious what you think about the new Ware book.

      Delete
  3. I have the new Ware book but I have to get through some other reads first and the past four days I have been unable to read. Too distracted. Yesterday I went into my garage and purged two huge trash cans worth of junk. It felt good to do something physical. I am going to do it again today. Maybe later I will be wound down enough to finish the last 20% of The Sun Down Motel which is really so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I'll watch for what you think about The Sun Down Motel (I have that one here) and also One By One. Junk-purging - who knew it could be so satisfying, right? LOL

      Delete
  4. I'm reading Armstrong's A Stranger in Town right now! Love the Rockton series. None of Ware's books have equaled the first one for me. Can't wait to catch up on Three Pines and need to catch up on Cormoran Strike as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Stranger in Town - lovely! Sure hope you are enjoying it and I'll hope you get to the Penny and Galbraith books at some point.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha! I'm not sure if the new and improved Blogger is truly better than before, but I think I've finally got a handle on it. You've been reading up a storm! I will skip Ruth Ware's new one, but I'm eager to get my hands on Louise Penny's latest. One of our neighbors loans us her copies, so we're patiently waiting our turn. I haven't yet read Lethal White, so it will be a while before I get to the new Strike book. There's been a bit of controversary about these last two books in the series, so I'm somewhat torn. I'm about two-thirds of the way through The Dutch House and love the story. I'm doing a read/listen and Tom Hanks is a great reader for this novel. He should quit his day job! ;)

    Hope all is well with you. We are getting more rain (and wind) today. I guess summer is truly over. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of seems that when I get over the hump of one issue with the new Blogger another comes along. I'll eventually get used to the whole thing I suspect. Glad you are liking The Dutch House. I have that one in my Audible library, but just haven't listened to it yet. My reading is kind of going where the muse takes me, but it's working (for which I'm grateful). Glad you are getting rain. We got some of the outer bands of Beta, but it's supposed to clear off today. I'm ready. We needed some rain, but I also need some sun.

      Delete
    2. At least they finally seemed to have stopped tinkering with the New Blogger. I'd log in to work on one post or another and discover that they'd changed some things from one day to the next. Whenever this happened and Denis was here in the office with me, the poor man couldn't breathe due to the blue smoke in the air!

      Delete
    3. Images. I'm having a terrible time getting the images where I want them with the new Blogger. Last night, I just gave up. And, I know it's going to be struggle when I try to compose my Treasures in My Closet post. Blah.

      Delete
  6. I have a copy of The Widows based on a review I saw at Bloggin' 'bout Books. Mostly because it is set in Ohio (my husband is from there) but the story sounds good. Haven't read it yet, of course.

    One of the last Louise Penny books I read was set in Quebec, and I thought is was as good or better than the ones set in Three Pines... so I am happy either way. I hope to read another one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking The Widows so far. Think it will make for good discussion and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, The Hollows. Yes, that Penny book that was set in Quebec City was a favorite of mine. Hope you like this one when you eventually get to it. :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm behind on both the Rockton and Gamache series. I adore both of them, so I'm not rushing my reading :) I like to savor the series I love.

    I felt the same way about ONE BY ONE. The Big Reveal seems way too obvious from the start. The story still kept my attention, though, because I wanted to know how it would all play out.

    I really enjoyed THE WIDOWS and its sequel. Not so much with YEAR ONE. I wanted to love it, but it dragged and dragged for me. I'll be interested to see what you think of both these novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I totally understand about not rushing those favorite series. Enjoy and savor is what I say. I'm not surprised that we agree on One By One. It was good, but not great. I am liking The Widows a lot and want to read The Hollows too if I can before the meeting. Year One is good for me so far, but my tastes are a bit quirky right now. We'll see how it plays out.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait for the new Gamache book! I'm so excited to get more of Reine-Marie; she's one of my favorite side characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really like Reine-Marie, you'll be pleased with this book, Angela. No spoilers there though. LOL

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to your thoughts on The Widows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very interesting book. I've been listening to it as I walk. I'll be curious what those in our group think of it.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you loved All the Devils Are Here. It just feels special with all the focus on the family. And, of course, Paris. The Burghers of Calais was my favorite piece at the Rodin Museum, so I loved the opening and the connection. Like Cathy, I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Widows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been listening to The Widows on audio as I walk in the mornings. It's working very well for me. Since you've visited Paris, Lesa, I'm sure you were able to visualize all the settings. Lovely.

      Delete
  11. I just finished reading the first book in Armstrong's Rockton series and have the second book checked out of the library. I'm really enjoying them and can't wait to read the rest! Hope you have a good rest of the week. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I think you're going to be really pleased with the Rockton series and how it builds on the characters and setting. Enjoy!

      Delete
  12. I want to read or listen to One by One also. Maybe my next Audible choice. Almost done with All the Devils Are Hear. Listening to it and have a little less than an hour to go. I did have a little trouble following the complicated info about what is behind everything thru audiobook, rewinding alot. Maybe better to read this book. But tense ending coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I can see how All the Devils Are Here might be a little tough on audio. There were a lot of twists and turns and also quite a few characters. I'll likely reread it as audio book at some point, but will know the main storyline of course. Will be curious what you think of One By One if you decide to try it.

      Delete
    2. Well the ending was incredible! Very good. I must have just got caught up for a bit. I recommend it! And left an opening for the next. yay

      Delete
  13. I'm still trying to make friends with the new blogger too. As you saw I did manage a new post today and am so pleased with myself because I was not looking forward to it after two aborted attempts in July. Luckily they fixed the picture posting problems.

    I really must try something by Ruth Ware. Your favourite books by her In a Dark, Dark Wood appeals. Have you tried the BBC's Cormoran Strike series? I haven't read the books but that series is very, very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, if you want to try a Ware book, I would suggest In A Dark Dark Wood as a start. The books are all standalones, but as I said, it's still my favorite. Yes, I've watched the TV adaptation of the Strike series. I think it covers books 1-3. I liked it and it was a pretty good adaptation as I recall. Guess we'll get used to the new Blogger.

      Delete
  14. Hi Kay,

    I read One By One and was kind of disappointed - easy to put down, harder to pick up. I heard good things about Louise P's new book at my book group meeting today. Take care Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I liked One By One well enough, but it was lacking a little bit somehow. Not quite sure I could put my finger on what it was. Anyway, I'll still read her books as they come out. I do usually like the themes she deals with. And, yes, the new Penny book is great in my opinion.

      Delete
  15. I really MUST pick up a Penny book one of these days - pretty sure I even have a couple on my Nook and everyone I know who's read her books, loves her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I've been a Penny fan from the beginning of the series. Now that there are 16 books, I know that it's a little overwhelming to think about starting it. I guess the books could be read out of order, but she does tend to deal with themes that run from book to book or storylines that do the same.

      Delete
  16. You've been busy with all these reads in September ... especially the new long Comoran Strike book ... 944 pages! Is she crazy?! I only read Book 2 The Silkworm ... but I sort of thought she needed an editor back then ... and I'm sure I'd still think so. You're a trooper to get thru it. But I did like Strike & Robin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, the new Strike book is indeed long, but the author is J.K. Rowling and if one has read the whole Harry Potter series, it doesn't come as a surprise that she gets longer and longer as a series progresses. I don't mind long books, but I know they are not for everyone. :-)

      Delete
  17. I absolutely adored Ware's In a Dark Dark Wood and loved Woman in Cabin 10 but was meh on The Lying Game and never was able to get into the next one. This one sounds pretty good so I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I suspect I know some of why The Lying Game was tough for you read. I had some issues with that one myself - that crying baby for one or talking about breastfeeding constantly. I even wondered if Ware had a new baby herself because she seemed obsessed with the baby. Ha! You might try this one and see what you think - especially coming at it from a Christie-lover standpoint.

      Delete
  18. These all sound like perfect books for reading right now. For some reason, I seem to be able to read thrillers and science fiction and mysteries more now than contemporary fiction. I will add the Louise Penny to my wish list. I can't pass up a book set in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I recommend reading the Penny books in order of the series, I can understand that 16 books is a lot to read. This is the only one of her books that's set in Paris.

      Delete
    2. I'm one of those sorts (please don't hate) who read out of order and might even read just one of a series. I can't help it. I've always been this way. I took geometry after trig in hs.

      Delete
  19. Looks like a very good September for you! I've been trying to read Louise Penny's first book in the series for a long time. It's been on a six month wait and I think I got myself out of it at one point and then back on again. Ugh. You've convinced me to just wait it out and try it - hopefully my hold will come through soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for a month of good reads. How does Nora Roberts keep writing so many books?! I didn't even realize she had this other series. Glad to hear the new Gamache book didn't disappoint. You mention so many books I want to read! :) Hope you are enjoying the lovely weather we've been having. I imagine you are out and about taking lots of enjoyable walks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!