.

.

Friday, October 9, 2020

Happy October and maybe a little break...

 


Hello book friends and Happy October!  Above is a picture that I've shared before - from a trip my daughter and I took to Disneyworld about 8 or 9 years ago.  They do fall and Halloween decorating to the max.  Lots of fun to see, but not this year.  



A look at the beautiful leaves in full fall glory from a trip to New Mexico a couple of years ago.  Again, lots of fun to see, but not for a while to come.



And here's a look at an early morning spider in it's web - taken with the backdrop of my husband truck.  Seems very appropriate for October.  Many of our neighbors have their yards decorated with pumpkins and skeletons and graveyards and ghosts.  Not sure if trick-or-treating will happen, but people are decorating like crazy.  

I think I'm going to take a little break from posting, not that I've been posting much.  I have been reading a lot and will share a list of books below that I've completed since my last post.  I will still be commenting on your blogs, but I'm just not in the mood to do reviews.  I'll probably be back around in a few weeks.  

Here's what I've read:

The Widows by Jess Montgomery
Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart

Both the above were selections for our mystery group.  We had a nice discussion about them on Wednesday evening at our virtual meeting.  

Year One by Nora Roberts
Of Blood And Bone by Nora Roberts
The Rise Of Magicks by Nora Roberts

The above three books make up Nora Roberts' Chronicles of The One trilogy - fantasy and really quite a bit different from anything I've read by her.  Some didn't care of it.  I liked it enough to read all three.  Really out of her usual wheelhouse I'd say.

Die For Love by Elizabeth Peters
She's Not There by Joy Fielding
Strangers At The Gate by Catriona McPherson

These three were all re-reads that I thoroughly enjoyed again.

That's all I've got for now.  As I said, I'll probably not be posting for a few weeks, but I'll be around to say hello on your blogs.  Take care and wear your masks!  And Happy October and Happy Halloween!

28 comments:

  1. I miss Disney World! We normally go in October but obviously are giving this year a miss. I love their Halloween decorations. I haven't read many of Roberts more fantasy books. She's one of my go-to authors but that's just so not my genre. I had picked up one in her earlier series (you mentioned that on my post today) and am going to give it a try but I'm a little hesitant. Girl Waits with Gun is on my TBR. I think I have it on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I know you guys will be able to get back to Disney another year. Hoping so anyway. I think you'd like Girl Waits With Gun - it's funny and interesting, but not overwhelming at all.

      Delete
  2. Lovely spider's web. I wait for a misty moisty morning and go out with my camera to catch them. We haven't really had a suitable one yet. Enjoy your break, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had one either!

      Delete
    2. We have a lot of spiders - all kinds - all times of year. LOL

      Delete
  3. I always look forward to reading your reviews and your posts, Kay. The spider's web is a great photo, and I enjoy seeing autumn leaves so much, as we don't get those where I live. I've never been to Disneyworld but we perhaps we go with our grandchildren there one day.

    I hope you feel like writing reviews again soon. Maybe you just haven't read anything amazing lately?

    I understand about wanting to take a little break, but what I really need is a break from the world. Unfortuntely, as they say, "there's nowhere to run to, baby." Maybe there never was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I think always get a bit tired of posting and reviews in the fall - not exactly sure why. And then I usually get my desire back later in the year or at the first of the next. Yes, I think we're all needing a break from a lot of things.

      Delete
  4. I haven't felt like doing reviews for years now. :<)))
    It is a quiet time in general now, I think. After the election something will be settled, at least. All the build up would kill me if I watched the news or debates! Cases rising scares me so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that after the election some things will hopefully be settled or sorted out. I sure hope so. I'm still trying to be 'aware' of the news, but not immersed in the news.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your break and your reading. Travel feels like something from the Twilight Zone, almost a far future fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. So many things seem a little unreal this year.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the blog review break, Kay. I get it. This week I caught up with my review books from NetGalley. Now I plan to read from my shelves and probably just mention titles like you did.
    Enjoy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan, Mary. Enjoy your shelves!

      Delete
  7. Rita, you seem like you've hit a good balance with your posts lately. I think lots of people are being more 'absent' now and then with their posts. And that's OK. We've got enough to deal with this year. Thanks goodness for our reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are perfect pictures for the season. I saw one of our neighbors decorated his yard with skeletons - wearing masks. Haha... Hope you enjoy your blog break and read some great spooky books this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, skeletons with masks are definitely creative! Reading great spooky books sounds like a plan to me. LOL

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your break, Kay! Love the Disney photo - we went one time during the fall, and the decorations were incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney definitely does fall and Halloween right. It was a nice time of year to be there too. Not too hot, but not as many people because of school. Different this year of course.

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure what's happening with trick-or-treating this year either, but my 11yo just announced that she's too old for it anyway! Okay, then. Maybe we'll leave a bowl of candy on the porch and just watch scary movies together or something :) I'm not a big Halloween person, so that's fine by me! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've passed the time of being really involved in Halloween. Once upon a time, but not really any more. The decorating is probably the most our neighborhood will do, though something may be planned as the time comes closer.

      Delete
  11. hey Kay, hope you're having a nice fall despite not being able to travel anywhere. It looks like you've been reading some spooky kinds of reads - perfect for Halloween month. I can't keep up with raking all the leaves falling here. We finally got some rain yesterday. Your spider photo is very applicable. Enjoy your break ... and October!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We hit Disneyland every Christmas but not this year. Sad. Have a nice break. I should take one as reading is not happening too much although I finally picked up my book club book and read a few chapters, The Testaments. It's an interesting choice given our current political climate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take care and have a good break! All these years, we've been taking all these fun places for granted. "We can go again", "let's vacation there next year", etc. Man, and this year, every place feels out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lost my comment. Argh. Anyhow, great pictures! I loved spider webs, but not spiders. :) Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I finally had to take some days off to get caught up with my non work life! Doing a lot of reading also so hope to share soon. Who would have thought "this" would go on this long...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pics! I'm so busy with homeschooling and celebration October that the past few months have me barely keeping my head above water. The Nora Roberts trilogy sounds interesting. I don't read her often but when I do I'm usually pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure why I always go in thinking it won't be great. Maybe because she writes soooo many books?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!