.

.

Thursday, November 18, 2021

November is here and I'm loving the fall tree colors...and reading...

 


Hello book friends!  Just checking in here to say that I'm enjoying November in our new location so far.  My walks have gotten quite a bit cooler for the most part, but the fall tree colors are so much more vivid in this area than where we lived before.  There are some fall leaves in Austin, but most of the trees that we had were live oaks and they are not pretty in the fall.  They turn brown in the winter and the leaves fall off.  Not very fun.  Ha!  I took the picture above yesterday.  Love it!  It's amazing how you move only a couple of hours west and there you go - beauty in the fall.

As I said, it's quite a bit cooler in the early mornings and I've been considering tweaking my walking time or location a bit.  We'll see how it goes.  I could walk at our local mall, but they don't open until 8:30.  Or I guess I could wear a coat - ha!  Or walk in the afternoons.  We shall see.  Late morning seems to be the time that the temps moderate, but I'm usually a bit busy then.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner.  We're planning on going to Austin and sharing that meal with our daughter and son-in-law.  They are cooking and have told us we don't have to bring a thing.  How fun!  It will just be the 4 of us and their 2 pups, but we'll enjoy it a lot.  We may see a few other family members on that Friday, but we'll see how it goes. 

We met with a couple of contractors and are slowly moving forward with the renovations we're planning for our house.  It will likely be spring before any work can start, but it's good to get some estimates and also to start doing some selections of materials.  In other news, my husband and I both have had our booster shots and we're good to go there.   

My volunteering and reading go on as usual.  I've finished 5 books so far this month and have listed them below.  I'm not really feeling the 'review' vibe right now, so just know that if I finished the book, I enjoyed it.  I did put down a couple of books that weren't working for me.  I'm going to the Talking Texas Book Club later today and will enjoy that meeting I'm sure.  I didn't read the book - it was Lonesome Dove - but I always enjoy hearing what others have to share.  The library here is considering starting two more book groups or so I've heard.  One is a mystery group (YAY!) and one will be historical fiction.  Think I can handle a book group a week?  Possibly.  Here's my books read list and I'll try to stop by next week to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!  Let me know if you've read any of these books and what you thought.  Take care!

1. One Fatal Flaw - Anne Perry - 3rd in the Daniel Pitt series

2. Playing Nice - J.P. Delaney - domestic suspense about two families dealing with an infant-switch situation

3. Red Widow - Alma Katsu - spy thriller written by an author who was a CIA analyst for over 30 years

4. Death With A Double Edge - Anne Perry - 4th in the Daniel Pitt series

5. The Midnight Library - Matt Haig - read for a January book group - quite interesting and thought-provoking themes - for me anyway - look forward to the discussion

25 comments:

  1. Glad things are progressing Kay. Enjoy a nice Thanksgiving with family. There will be 10 of us here --fingers crossed all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm so happy that you'll be able to have 10 for Thanksgiving! Hope you guys have a great time!

      Delete
  2. Loved reading your update, Kay! The changing colors of the leaves is one of my favorite parts of fall. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, Angela! Hope yours is wonderful.

      Delete
  3. So good to see you and glad things are going well! We are debating what to do with Thanksgiving but are hoping to be able to have close family over. I'm glad to see you're still volunteering. It sounds fun! A mystery book group sounds fun! My library has a couple and I need to see if they have started back up. Have a wonderful week and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I hope you guys are able to have some of your family to be with you. Know it's hard these days. In any case, I pray for a lovely, restful, relaxing time for you and your guys.

      Delete
  4. We had a very windy day yesterday and all the leaves were swirling! Have a great family Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Thanksgiving is great, Jenclair! I notice that showers are forecast for our part of the world. Ah well.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to read all your news, Kay. Glad the move is working out well for you. I hope your Thanksgiving is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cath! We're getting used to a lot of new things and that's quite all right. LOL

      Delete
  6. I envy you having some beautiful trees with changing colors in the fall. Here in Santa Barbara, for some reason, we don't have much of that. A few patches here and there that surprise me sometimes.

    I have not read any of the books on your list but my husband bought The Midnight Library and I will be reading that some time. I have never read anything by that author but I have several others on my TBR and each one is different.

    Red Widow sounds like my kind of spy novel, although it could be a bit too thrillerish. I will check it out when it comes out in paperback.

    I know you will have a great Thanksgiving visiting your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, hope you and yours will have a nice Thanksgiving! Red Widow isn't too bad in the thriller aspect. I listened to an interview with the author that was quite interesting. Also hope you enjoy The Midnight Library.

      Delete
  7. Fall color! How fun! We get very, very little of that, of course. There are a few trees around here that change slightly, but that's it. The temps are a little lower at least—we're "only" in the 80s right now.

    Your book groups sound fun. I loved LONESOME DOVE when I read it years ago. I had planned to re-read it this year, but I'm not sure I'm going to get around to it. We'll see.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know that fall colors are not a big part of Arizona weather. Ha! Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving, Susan!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful fall colors in that tree! How fun for you.

    How cold is cold for you (for your a.m. walks)? It was 36 here the other morning, which seems terribly cold for early November. I hope that doesn't mean we're in for frigid temps all winter!

    Won't you have fun this Thanksgiving! What a nice treat to have your daughter and SIL prepare the entire meal.

    I got my booster on Monday and am happy to have that all behind me now. Still feeling a little bit tired, but that could just be an insomnia issue.

    Wow, Lonesome Dove for a book group discussion? It's quite a chunkster, isn't it? I've always wanted to read it, but never have. Someday...

    I have The Midnight Library on my shelf and will probably get to it in early January. My daughter recently read it and thought it was good, but a little bit repetitive. I'm still impressed that she read it! ;)

    Have a lovely Thanksgiving. I'll be in touch soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cold is cold for me on the walks - about 48 or below - which it has been several times and will continue to be. Plus, this whole area seems to be a bit more breezy than I'm used to and that makes it even more cool. Not much rain though. Les, I'll be curious to know what you've think about The Midnight Library. Didn't you tell me a while back that your Mom had read it too? Wonder what she thought. Wishing all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy all your visitors!

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful tree! So true that we just don't get a lot of colorful trees in Austin. I hope you are enjoying a lot of great reads and wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving. It's going to be a quiet one for us but I'm looking forward to quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, hope you and your family have a special and restful day tomorrow.

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving Kay! I hope they tag you for the mystery book club there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Gayle. As to the mystery book club here, I'm looking forward to seeing what books are selected. And just being an 'on-looker' - LOL!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photo of your fall colors, Kay - I sure do miss that!(Don't miss what comes next though.) Glad you're enjoying your walks and books...and what a treat not to have to cook for Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, hope you and your family have a great day tomorrow.

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed The Midnight Library. I would think it would make a great discussion book.

    Glad you have had your booster, Kay! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!