.

.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

And March blows in...catching up...

 


Hello book friends!  Can't believe that we are halfway through March!  Where does the time go?  Happily, I saw some flowers blooming a couple of days ago on my morning walk.  Pretty yellow daffodils (right?).  I hope that means that other lovely flowers are just around the corner.  I have noticed that spring is a bit slower to show up here in our new area.  It's curious to me that only a few miles west and a bit south and the climate is noticeably different.  I'll adjust though.  Really hoping that we've seen our last low temperature in the 20's for the season.  

I think the last time I posted about my reading here I was doing some catch-up on a few mystery series that I enjoy.  Since that time, I've read these books:

Reading update:

Last Seen Alive by Joanna Schaffhausen (5th in her Ellery Hathaway series) - hoping it's not the last, but some storylines are mostly resolved.  Really recommend this series.

The Deepest Of Secrets by Kelley Armstrong (7th in her Rockton series) - I think this might be the last of this series, but who knows?  I do know that the author has a new series starting in a few weeks.  It's A Rip Through Time and I'm on the hold list at the library for this one.

Miss Moriarty, I Presume by Sherry Thomas (6th in her Lady Sherlock series) - again, the series progresses and I'll be curious to see where she goes from this point.  Not sure it's the end though.

The Appeal by Janice Hallett - this is the debut book by the author and I'm a bit torn about what to share here.  It's an epistolary novel (which I normally love) and it's a mystery, but...it's more than a bit odd.  A little tough to say exactly what it was in the end.  Told in emails and texts and letters and having some quite annoying characters, I finished it and said, 'Ok, on to the next.'  Take from that what you may.  Ha!  Have any of you read this book?  Curious what others might get from it.  

Book Groups Update:

I missed the first two book groups in March.  Out of town for one and had an allergy sinus headache for the other.  The Historical Fiction book group discussed These Is My Words by Nancy Turner.  I had read that one many years ago, but knew I would not be here.  Didn't reread it.  The book selected for April is The Gods Of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye.  I have also read that one in the past and plan to read it again.  

The second week group is the Brown Bag book group.  They discussed The Library Book by Susan Orlean.  I had skimmed that one after having discussed it with another book group some years ago.  Haven't talked to the librarian yet to see how it went.  The April selection is Behind The Scenes At The Museum by Kate Atkinson.  Again, have read that one long ago, but I'll do a reread.  I think this book was the author's first book.

Tomorrow afternoon is the Shrouded in Mystery book group and the discussion will be about The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths.  I just finished a reread of that book and enjoyed it thoroughly again.  I really need to get to the second book, The Postscript Murders.  Have you read The Stranger Diaries?  Lots of Gothic fun.  The April book for this group is After The Crash by Michael Bussi.  And I haven't previously read this one.  Yay!

The fourth week book group is the Talking Texas book group.  I'm currently rereading Elizabeth Crook's Monday, Monday for that discussion.  I was part of a group that discussed this book soon after it was published (2014) and we were able to speak online with the author about it.  Not everyone has loved this one, but it does give a good account of Austin and surrounding area during and just after the University of Texas Tower shooting in 1966.  The story tells of three students that were there that day and how that tragedy affected their lives for decades.  I do think the book is better in the early parts and then kind of gets a little 'soap opera'-ish in the second half.  Will be curious what others in the group think.  

----------------------

Think that's about all I have for today.  In regular life, not much to tell.  We're still back and forth a bit to Austin.  My husband's company will return to the office next week for the start of their 'hybrid' work.  We're hoping to be able to take a trip in early summer to North Carolina.  And our renovations will one day happen.  Have a good rest of the week!  And I'll be back in a while with more pictures hopefully.  Take care, everyone!       

25 comments:

  1. I love reading about your book group reads, Kay. I've read The Stranger Diaries and loved it. Like you I must get to The Postscript Murders, I gather it's a little bit different to that first book. Happy Spring! (Well almost.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that The Postscript Murders takes the detective in a new direction. And we had a good discussion yesterday. Also, heard that there will be a third book in the series. We better get to reading the second, right? LOL

      Delete
  2. You already know my thoughts on The Deepest of Secrets (and thanks for commenting on my blog); I also have a copy of Last Seen Alive in my library bag which I hope to read either next week or the week after. They're both such great series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll watch for what you think about Last Seen Alive. Hope you enjoy it a lot.

      Delete
  3. I love the Rockton series, too, even though I'm behind in reading it. I do have an ARC of A RIP THROUGH TIME, although I haven't gotten to it yet either. *Sigh* So many books, so little time...

    I love the new Griffiths series as well. It's tons of fun.

    Happy Spring, Kay! I hope you find lots more flowers on your walks. It's always fun to see your beautiful nature pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I will definitely be looking for more flowers in upcoming days. Today was too windy to go out - low 40's and winds about 20mph. Brrr!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty daffodils, Kay! They are such a cheerful-looking flower, aren't they? Interesting how your climate is a little different from where you were living before your move. I wonder if you'll have fewer problems with allergies or if they'll be the same (or worse)?

    I have not read The Stranger Diaries, but it's on my list! I need to catch up with her Ruth Galloway series, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like those cheerful daffodils. As to allergies, I think they will always be with me. They have been all my life (even when we didn't call them allergies when I was a kid). I also think that I might have some new ones here. Different trees and vegetation. The only place I didn't have allergies was when we lived in Oregon. Figures, right?

      Delete
  5. Love the daffodils - none here yet. I have The Appeal, but, I'm not sure this will be for me. It's nice that you have really been getting involved with a variety of activities in your new area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'd be very curious what you thought about The Appeal. I listened to a podcast yesterday that featured the author. She talked about her second book which is already out in the UK. Also told in an 'interesting' way. Yes, I'm enjoying meeting new people and seeing where I might fit in.

      Delete
  6. Love seeing signs of spring! I'm starting to see some buds here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I love spring. My favorite season. Probably because I'm always ready for winter to be over and my allergies to go away. Ha!

      Delete
  7. Growing up in central Illinois, spring always meant daffodils and lilacs to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My reading has finally started again since the surgery. I thought I'd get so much reading in but I was wrong. It feels good to finish a book these days. About to finish one right now. I need to be my next read very carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've had that happen too. Just when you think you'll get a bunch of reading done - no - not so much. Glad yours is getting more normal now. Also glad to hear that you are feeling better.

      Delete
  9. I am not caught up with the Rockton series, I have only read the first one. But I have the next two on my shelves. I am interested in trying The Appeal by Hallett someday but I have already started enough new series that I want to keep up with, so don't know when I will do that. I loved The Stranger Diaries, and liked The Postscript Murders and will be keeping up with that series as they come out and are available here.

    I love those daffodils. I wish I had the motivation to plant those, although I am not sure that we have the right weather for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, good to hear your thoughts on several of the books above and also your intentions. I just finished Simone St. James' new book and am reading Peter Swanson's newest right now. Then back to the book club rereads. ;-)

      Delete
  10. I enjoy Schaffhausen's series and also the Armstrong Rockton one. Up to date with both except for these newest titles. Thanks for that cheery photo of daffodils-- Spring is here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, thanks for commenting. Yes, I think spring is mostly here in my area. Still haven't seen flowers except for those pictured above. Soon...

      Delete
  11. Daffodils are one of my absolute favorite flowers and I'm so glad the people who lived in the house before us planted some and then I was able to add some of the bulbs from my great-grandmother's garden. They make me happy every year. I enjoyed The Stranger Diaries and really want to continue with the series. Have you read Griffiths series that takes place in the 50s with the Magician? I've really enjoyed that one as well. I'll be curious to see what you think of After the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the yellow cheer of those daffodils as well. I have read the first book in Griffiths' series about the Magic Men. Haven't read the next as yet. One day. She's a busy author with 3 different series, isn't she?

      Delete
  12. I loved The Stranger Diaries! I keep meaning to read the next in that series. I've heard others say that The Appeal was odd. Kinda glad I passed on that one for review. The spring bulbs are just barely starting to show where I am. I'm so ready for warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did think The Appeal was odd. However, I listened to an author interview and that helped me understand more about the way she told the story. She has another book out in the UK right now. Not sure when it will come out in the US.

      Delete
  13. I love seeing all these spring flowers! Hope you're doing well, Kay. I miss blogging and commenting so much, but life gets in the way. I hope I'll do better and to catch up on my reading, too. I loved The Strangers Diaries and The Postscript Murders a lot! I've not been following any bookish news lately but I hope Elly Griffiths will have a new book out soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!