.

.

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

April arrives with some lovely blooms...

Hello everyone!  Hope you are all well and that spring has come to your area.  Hope you're getting to see some blooms.  I have a couple of pictures from my morning walks to share.  Spring is finally here!  The picture above is actually from my brother-in-law's yard in the Austin area.  And, yes, those are bluebonnets.  He cultivates them every year and they were gorgeous.  We travelled to Austin last weekend and saw lots of them along the roadsides.  Not too many in our new town of Kerrville, but I'm still hopeful.  Fredericksburg and Johnson City had loads of bluebonnets.  I say 'thank you' every year to Lady Bird Johnson for making roadside wildflower seeding a 'thing' in Central Texas and indeed all over Texas.  


I had to take a quick shot of this redbud tree that is blooming right outside the Kerrville History Center.  Very cheerful and I've always loved these trees.  I was heading inside that building to attend the 'Talking Texas' Book Group.  I told the group members that I took a picture and several jumped up, headed out, and took their own pictures.  Ha! 

We've begun some of our renovations at our new-to-us house and we're glad of that.  Other things have kept us busy, but I've been around reading your blogs even if I haven't commented too much.  I've attended a couple of book groups since I last posted and enjoyed discussions there.  March had a 5th Thursday, so that was a 'day off' of book group attendance.  I'm busy reading a couple of the books that will be discussed in April and I've managed to read a few new books as well.  

My reading list is below and I enjoyed all of them.

The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James - I liked this one quite a bit.  The author has a way of including some 'maybe' supernatural, but 'maybe-not'.  Tends toward the Gothic side of mystery.

Nine Lives by Peter Swanson - A good one by an author that I've enjoyed in the past.  Not my favorite of his, but I did listen to an interesting interview with him in a podcast.  Our 'Shrouded in Mystery' Book Group will discuss an earlier book of his, Eight Perfect Murders, in May.

The Bombay Prince by Sujata Massey - This book is the 3rd in Massey's Perveen Mistry series.  I liked it very much and hope this series will continue.  The protagonist is based on India's first female lawyer and it's set in 1920's India.  

The Locked Room by Elly Griffiths - I just could not wait for the 14th Ruth Galloway book and so I ordered the hardcover from the UK.  This series is published in the UK in early spring, February usually, and in the US in late June.  I had a gift card and so...why not?  Loved this one.  I thought the author did a good job of including the pandemic in the story and there are some startling revelations about certain characters as well.  Of course, this means that I'll have to wait longer for the next 'Ruth' book.  Ha!

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye - This was re-read for the 'Historical Fiction' Book Group meeting that will take place Thursday.  I had read and discussed this one with another group several years ago, but I couldn't remember a lot of specifics other than that it told of the beginnings of the NYPD way back in the 1840's.  I remembered why I liked it so much.  It is a little gritty and I'll be curious what other members of the group think about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------   

I think that's about all the news I have.  My husband has been going back and forth to Austin a bit for his 'so far' one-day-a-week in the office.  We got to spend some time with family eating out this last weekend.  It was nice to catch up with our daughter and son-in-law and my husband's extended family.  We're looking forward to being able to host them here in a few months.  Otherwise, all seems to be well.  Take care everyone and get out and enjoy some 'blooms'! 

18 comments:

  1. Lovely bluebonnets and redbud! I love spring flowers, don't you? Other than the pollen, of course. :)

    I'm glad the renovations have begun on your house. I'm sure you're anxious to have that all behind you!

    I'll have to decide which series to binge on once I finish the Deborah Crombie books. Maybe Elly Griffith (I can't remember how many I've read, but probably only a half dozen or so, so far) or Susan Hill's Simon Serrallier series.

    Glad you were able to socialize with family over a meal out. We're off to Nashville tomorrow and can't wait to see Amy & Will! 2 1/2 years is far too long between visits!

    Take care and happy reading, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, hope you guys are having a fun time with Amy and Will. Know you've been anxious to see them - far too long indeed. I love both the Elly Griffith books and also the Simon Serrallier series. Good luck with choosing!

      Delete
  2. I love the spring pics Kay and glad that some of your renovations are in progress. We had similar thoughts on Nine Lives and The Book of Cold Cases. Not my favorites by these authors but, good stories all the same. Hope April is a good month for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, thanks for stopping by and I hope that April will bring you some blooms as well.

      Delete
  3. The blooms are so pretty. Not much in bloom here. Haven't had enough water, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, as I mentioned in my post today, drought is making things abnormal here too. We've had droughts before - they seem to cycle around - but I don't love them at all!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures! We are just starting to get some blooms here, so looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! Hope you guys have some lovely April blooms!

      Delete
  5. Love your flowers! Very pretty. I enjoy the Ruth Galloway series but am still playing catch-up to this recent one. I just got the Book of Cold Cases but was so far not in the mood for it, though I'm sure it's something I will enjoy soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mia! Hope you like The Book of Cold Cases. It was good, but not my favorite of her books. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen that many bluebonnets in this part of town yet. Probably need to take a drive. The Book of Cold Case sounds intriguing to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, southwest of Austin has a lot more of the bluebonnets or did when I was last driving through there. Johnson City and Fredericksburg probably had the most.

      Delete
  7. Love those Spring flowers! Just started reading Nine Lives so can't comment anything, but it can be confusing reading nine characters at the same time so we shall see how it goes. Hope you've a great weekend ahead, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I'll be curious what you think about Nine Lives. Yes, nine characters and told in a curious way. Thanks for stopping by and hope your spring goes well.

      Delete
  8. The photos are beautiful. I am glad to hear the renovations are coming along well. I hope that continues! I really enjoyed The Book of Cold Cases too. I hope you have a great week and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I appreciate you coming by and hope your life is settling down these days. Know the end of the school year is not far away. I'm sure Miss Mouse is quite busy! :-)

      Delete
  9. Love the photos, and it's good to see another Griffiths fan who can't wait for the US edition of her books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, can you surmise that your purchase of the book made me think I should go ahead and get mine as well? Ha! It did!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!