.

.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Year of No Sugar by Eve O. Schaub

First of all, I'm going to link this review to the Weekend Cooking event on Beth Fish Reads because it is about food.  I actually got the idea to read this book from a post that Trish at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity wrote last weekend concerning her quest to give up sugar for 3 weeks.  All sugar and all sugar substitutes and gluten and I'm not sure what else.  And good luck, Trish - hope you are doing OK.  She thought her biggest sacrifice was probably going to be no sweetener in her morning coffee.  And I sympathize.

I knew I had a book in my audio library that was about one family giving up sugar for an entire year.  I decided I would see what giving up sugar might be like.  The book is Year of No Sugar and it was written by Eve O. Schaub.  This is how it begins:

Sugar and me, we go way back.  I love sugar.  LOOOOVVVVE it.  I love everything about it: how it makes little occasions special and special occasions fabulous.  How it performs hot, bubbling magic on sour fruits, like rhubarb and gooseberries, to make the most succulent mind-blowing pies and jams.  How it crunches with perfect granulation in the best cookies and how a single cube of it adds fairy-tale perfection to a real Italian cappuccino.  And don't even get me started on chocolate.

OK...so I'm thinking, this is a book about depriving oneself and one's family of sugar.  Really?  Maybe she will just spend the whole book describing how wonderful sweet things are.  The author then goes into a funny story about a junior high "how to" assignment she had where she "taught" the class how to decorate a cake and how very wrong it went.  Wait, I thought - deja vu - did I do that?  Did my daughter?  I had to stop and call my daughter to ask.  Yes, she said, I did do that and thanks for reminding me of my humiliation, Mom.  It was awful.  Everything got too warm and the icing melted and the fudge syrup didn't work right and it ran everywhere.  It was a horrible project.  But the cake was good.  She's still our family baker - my daughter.

Year With No Sugar is a memoir of a family, Eve Schaub's family, who decide to try to avoid eating any food with added sugar or sugar substitute for an entire year.  Eve had seen a video by a doctor that opened her eyes to the harm that could come from all the added sugar, mostly fructose, that we routinely eat in our diets.  Because sugar is everywhere, in lots and lots of foods and goes by many, many names.  She discussed the project with her husband and enlisted her two daughters, ages 6 and 11 (they weren't quite as enthusiastic) in her quest.

The book was really very interesting and funny.  Eve kept a blog the whole time and related the joys and horrors of that year.  She included a lot of relevant information, but it didn't overwhelm things with statistics.  She also included bits from her daughter Greta's journal as well.  Greta was 11 and she did fairly well on the project - mostly - well, sometimes.  Her journal is really amusing, very much from an almost teen viewpoint.  The author related stories of the family's once-a-month planned desserts.  A camping trip for 6th graders with a s'mores dilemma.  Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Finding out that certain products that you never dreamed contained sugar did have sugar.  Did you know that balsamic vinegar is not really a vinegar?  And that it contains sugar?

Eve tried many food experiments that sometimes worked well and sometimes not.  The family took a two-week trip to Italy and managed to stay strong on their quest - well, except for that peach gelato.  The year included visits to extended family who had bowls of Hershey kisses available, a trip to the Mayo Clinic with her father and trying to find no-sugar-added food in a hotel breakfast buffet or hospital cafeteria, and spending the year asking question after question anytime the family ate at a restaurant.

I actually enjoyed the book very much.  I learned some things and found myself picking up foods in my pantry and fridge and reading the ingredients.  While I don't think I want to go a similar route for a year, it did make me consider how much sugar I eat (and I don't really think of myself as having a sweet tooth).  It also made me consider whether the best decision would be to save my sugar calories for really, really tasty and planned-for events.  I think that could be doable.  Plus, I paid a lot more attention this week to added sugar.  I didn't do what Trish is doing, but I did make better choices.

The audio was read by Hillary Huber and John Lee. Year of No Sugar gets a thumbs up from me.

47 comments:

  1. It's truly astounding when you start read labels. We switched to sea salt long before it became popular because I noticed that my brand of salt put sugar in it! (I think I had just read a eye-opening book like this one.) I didn't know that about balsamic vinegar. I'm going right down to the kitchen to read the label!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use sea salt too. I've liked the coarser texture, but to put sugar in the salt? What's that about? LOL

      Delete
    2. I can't believe that they actually put sugar in some brands of salt!

      I know that salt is another condiment found in almost everything we eat, although I never add extra salt to my cooking, even if the recipe asks for it. In fact the only salt we have in the house, is the kind you put on the icy drive in the winter :)

      Delete
  2. I need to read this book!

    and my first thought is... no sweet in my morning decaf... -sigh-

    oh and yes, I know to read labels, because I have to eat Gluten Free. not by choice.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no sweet in the coffee. I use Spenda in mine and I know, I know, I shouldn't. Only 2 cups of coffee though.

      Delete
  3. I seem to have become more lax with my food choices this winter and even slipped back into the dreaded diet soda habit (horrors!). You and Trish are motivating me to clean up my act. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...let's not talk about the diet soda (says the girl who still drinks Coke Zero). I shook my real Coke habits a long time ago though. The husband in this book chose to continue with his Diet Dr. Pepper during their year - which is what my husband would pick too.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely a sugar addict though I'm trying to cut down on quantity. I'm not sure I could live without the creamer and some of my other foods. This sounds like an interesting read and I love books that make me examine the food I'm eating even if I'm not make any diet changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely thought provoking. Just made me notice some of the odd foods that sugar is included in. Like everything that is touted non-fat. LOL

      Delete
  5. Three years ago Scott and I decided to do a month of absolutely no processed foods and it was so eye-opening when we started reading the labels. What is all of that stuff?!?! Some of it has stuck with me over the years (I eat less boxed things than I used to) but that sugar just gets to you if you let it! Mmmmm! :) I'm bummed that my library doesn't have a copy of this one. Maybe I can find it on Audible. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find it on Audible. That's where I got it. Yes, reading the labels is interesting. I don't think I've been reading them for sugar, just the fat content. Perhaps I need to switch that out. LOL

      Delete
  6. This sounds very informative. I had no idea about the balsamic vinegar! Trish has inspired me to give up my Splenda addiction. My two cups of coffee are now enjoyed black rather than doctored up with a packet of Splenda. I'm surprised how much more I'm enjoying the rich taste of the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried without my Splenda earlier in the week, Les. And I think I'm not quite ready for that yet. But, I only drinks 2 cups of coffee and don't put it in my tea.

      Delete
  7. This week seems to be the "no sugar" week (see Trish's post)! And - I recently read an interesting article about all the products that contain sugar that you wouldn't necessarily think of...and it had me looking through my labels as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of astounded - so many things have added sugar. Sometimes not a lot, but still.

      Delete
  8. I as a,aged by how much sugar is in ketchup! I couldn't go a month without sugar, no wait...I mean I guess I am not willing to take that sacrifice, but I have cut back very much from what I used to consume.

    Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot in ketchup and my vinaigrette dressing, which I didn't really think of.

      Delete
  9. This sounds so interesting! I've been trying to eat better -- less sugar, fewer processed foods -- but the boyfriend isn't interested in doing that. The idea of getting your whole family to cut out sugar for a year sounds so challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why the book was pretty funny. Some critics said that they spent the whole time figuring out what they could exempt, but with 2 elementary age kids, I could understand.

      Delete
  10. We've cut back on a lot of processed foods but definitely not eating as clean as we could. I'm making note of the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the really interesting things was realizing how sugar used to be more of something the wealthy used. It was precious and saved for special times. Not so much now. And look out with anything that has had the fat content lowered. Lots of sugar.

      Delete
  11. Thankfully I don't go too much for sweet stuff... looks like a good read. Cheers from CArole's Chattr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by, Carole.

      Delete
  12. Hi Kay,

    I should be as skinny as a rake, but the reality is so different!!

    We don't have either sugar or salt in the house and I don't even like milk, so all my drinks are black and sugarless.

    When I stop and think about all the added sugar and salt in everyday foods though, I can quite see why the pounds might keep piling on!

    This wasn't the case back when I was a child and food was purchased fresh daily, so all these problems have really arisen from our misplaced desire to shop less frequently and for food to stay fresh for longer!

    Although this book is going to be an eye-opening read, it could also be so frightening that I may never want to eat again! ... No chance, I love my sweets and desserts too much :)

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book does point out how much things have changed over the years. It was quite informative, as well as amusing.

      Delete
  13. It's so hard to go without sugar and processed food! I'm also trying to cut down on my salt intake too. Seriously, I need to look more at the labels now. You wouldn't know what else they added!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do the same with salt. And then with no sugar and no salt, bland - but could probably get used to it.

      Delete
  14. The Year of No Sugar sounds like a challenging read. How to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was a memoir so there was good info, but also a lot of "this is what happened" stuff.

      Delete
  15. I gave up sugar last summer before my son's wedding. I loved the feeling of being sugar-free, but the temptations are too frequent and I succumbed again.

    This sounds like a romp of a read. Thanks for sharing it with us, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny and interesting in turn. Lots of family stories, as you'd expect with 2 young children.

      Delete
  16. Sounds very interesting and I am sure I would get a lot out of this book. I would prefer to focus on less bread in my diet, but eating less added sugar would be a plus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Tracy, the less bread goes along with it because most bread has sugar as well. The author made her own bread.

      Delete
  17. This sounds like such an interesting and honest read. I tip my hat to her and her family for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to have survived, with lots of things to tell about. LOL

      Delete
  18. Isn't it amazing how sugar is in everything? I haven't read this book but I've heard some recent reports on how now doctors are considering sugar even worse than sodium! That's a huge bummer for me as I have a major sweet tooth. You'll have to keep us posted on how you do with trying to cut back on sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in everything. Sadly. I guess I'm just trying to notice more and make better choices. I need to do the same thing for salt. Another ingredient that is in everything.

      Delete
  19. This sounds like an interesting read. Now that I'm not doing low-carb anymore, I can add sugar back into my diet, but I'm trying not to. Although there's a cinnamon bun place close by us that is so very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mostly it's moderation in everything. But that is hard too. Sometimes easier just to cut it all out. Tough to maintain. Sigh. It's just hard all the way around. LOL

      Delete
  20. I read this book, too! I really enjoyed it and I still look at the ingredients a bit more carefully and have tried sweetening things with honey or agave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly had some interesting information to share. That whole thing about balsamic vinegar having sugar was odd, but when I looked at the ingredients, it's the added grape products.

      Delete
  21. All things in moderation seems to make more sense though I'm not a fan of sweet anyway.
    Glad you enjoyed it though,
    Keep cooking and booking,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you can find this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2381335/ I highly recommned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for suggesting this, Stacy. I'll take a look.

      Delete
  23. This is one of those things I should pay attention to, but I know I will become obsessive. On the other hand, if sugar is so prevalent, maybe I should educate myself. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just kind of amazing to me how it is everywhere and especially in things that are termed lower in fat. Guess they had to replace the fat with something for flavor.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!