.

.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Conspiracy in Belgravia - Sherry Thomas

A Conspiracy in Belgravia by Sherry Thomas

First Paragraph(s):

Thank goodness for a blatantly obvious murder.  
     Inspector Treadles did not say those words aloud--that would be disrespectful to the deceased.  But he most certainly entertained the thought as he made his way, Sergeant MacDonald in tow, to the house where the body had been found.
     After the taxing irregularities of the Sackville case, a run-of-the-mill murder would be calming and restorative.  He looked forward to gathering clues.  He looked forward to questioning witnesses.  He looked forward to assembling an account that would serve as the crown's evidence.
     He looked forward to handling every aspect of the work on his own, without needing to turn to anyone else for help.

My Thoughts:

I am really liking Sherry Thomas' series featuring Charlotte Holmes (aka Sherlock) and Mrs. Watson.  A Conspiracy in Belgravia is the second book and it added new and intriguing characters and problems to this 'twist' on the Sherlock theme.  We now are introduced to Lord Ingram's brother, who solves 'interesting' problems for the crown (Mycroft Holmes).  And Moriarty has entered the story and shadows are everywhere with his influence.  There are ciphers to interpret, dead bodies, secrets galore, Charlotte's sister Livia's mystery man, Mrs. Watson's niece, and a Holmes half-brother.  Also, Mrs. Watson begins training Charlotte in self-defense, which is a bit of a tough proposition because our 'Lady Sherlock' likes her tea cakes a lot more than exercise.  In the end, most of the answers to the problems presented are revealed...or are they?  Guess we'll have to find out in the 3rd book, The Hollow of Fear, which will be published in early October.  I can't wait!

Blurb:

Being shunned by Society gives Charlotte Holmes the time and freedom to put her extraordinary powers of deduction to good use. As “Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective,” aided by the capable Mrs. Watson, she’s had great success helping with all manner of inquiries, but she’s not prepared for the new client who arrives at her Upper Baker Street office.

Lady Ingram, wife of Charlotte’s dear friend and benefactor, wants Sherlock Holmes to find her first love, who failed to show up at their annual rendezvous. Matters of loyalty and discretion aside, the case becomes even more personal for Charlotte as the missing man is none other than Myron Finch, her illegitimate half brother.

In the meanwhile, Charlotte wrestles with a surprising proposal of marriage, a mysterious stranger woos her sister Livia, and an unidentified body surfaces where least expected. Charlotte’s investigative prowess is challenged as never before: Can she find her brother in time—or will he, too, end up as a nameless corpse somewhere in the belly of London?

16 comments:

  1. So pleased that you are enjoying this series so much, it seems like us readers can't get enough of the Sherlock theme - I particularly like that a run-of-the mill murder is thought to be restorative in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be enjoying this series too. It's a bit different but I like the tweaks the author has done on the Sherlock theme.

      Delete
  2. This sounds pretty good Kay; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the inspector's inner thoughts. I really must start this series soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the first book in the series and this one. What am I waiting for?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...for them to come to the top of your TBR pile? LOL

      Delete
  5. I have really enjoyed this series too. While I liked the first one I loved this one! I can't wait for more and I love Charlotte's affection for tea cakes.

    As to your question about if I'm going to do more posts on movies I'm really hoping too! I had a lot of fun with this one and a lot of movies I want to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm excited about you expanding the movie posts. I bet you are watching a bunch of them when you visit your grandparents. :-)

      Delete
  6. I really like the first paragraph. It's such a nice set up for what everyone else knows is going to be a complicated investigation. Good fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm enjoying including a bit at the first of each book I talk about. People can skip that part if they like.

      Delete
  7. I've really enjoyed this series and am eager for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you are enjoying this series, Kay. It is on my list to try. I love the setting and the tie-in to Holmes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun series, Wendy. I think you'd like it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!