.

.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

The Lewis Man - Peter May

The Lewis Man by Peter May

First Paragraph(s):

On this storm-lashed island three hours off the north-west coast of Scotland, what little soil exists gives the people their food and their heat.  It also takes their dead.  And very occasionally, as today, gives one up.
     It is a social thing, the peat-cutting.  Family, neighbours, children, all gathered on the moor with a mild wind blowing out of the south-west to dry the grasses and keep the midges at bay.  Annag is just five years old.  It is her first peat-cutting, and the one she will remember for the rest of her life.

My Thoughts:

I have been enjoying my time visiting Peter May's trilogy set in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland.  The Lewis Man is narrated by Peter Forbes (who narrates this whole trilogy plus Entry Island).  His voice is great and his pronunciation of the difficult Gaelic words is spot on.  I also want to say that I'll be moving on to the third book, The Chessmen, next.  I've already written about that one here and won't be including another review.  If you'd like to see my thoughts, click on the link above.

After the events related in The Blackhouse, Fin Macleod has resigned his job, agreed to a divorce from his wife, and moved to Lewis planning to renovate his parents' old croft.  Not long after he arrives, DS George Gunn crosses his path and tells him of a body that's been found in the peat.  It appears to have been there for 50 years or so and, more importantly, DNA has shown that the dead man is related to Tormod Macdonald, Marsaili's father.  Tormod is suffering from advanced dementia and Marsaili's mother has passed responsibility for him on to her daughter.  Since a police investigation into the circumstances of the death is imminent, Fin must step in to assist.

This book is probably my favorite of the trilogy.  The story is related in pieces as Fin tries to determine what exactly happened years ago and how Tormod is connected.  Tormod himself relates part of the story through memories (his past thoughts are much more coherent than his present day).  Dealing with and relating to a person with advanced dementia is tough and very, very poignant.  Fin is better able to handle the queries, but it's not easy peeling back the layers of time.  And then things get much more dire as a present day threat presents itself.  The book comes to a most dramatic and shocking ending.  As with the previous book, the setting is vividly described and traditions and customs revealed in interesting ways.  Highly recommended.

Blurb:

In The Lewis Man, the second book of the trilogy, Fin Macleod has returned to the Isle of Lewis, the storm-tossed, wind-scoured outer Hebridean island where he was born and raised. Having left behind his adult life in Edinburgh--including his wife and his career in the police force--the former Detective Inspector is intent on repairing past relationships and restoring his parents' derelict cottage. His plans are interrupted when an unidentified corpse is recovered from a Lewis peat bog. The only clue to its identity is a DNA match to a local farmer, the now-senile Tormod Macdonald--the father of Fin's childhood sweetheart, Marsaili--a man who has claimed throughout his life to be an only child, practically an orphan. Reluctantly drawn into the investigation, Fin uncovers deep family secrets even as he draws closer to the killer who wishes to keep them hidden.

24 comments:

  1. This one is my favorite of the trilogy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something about this one.

      Delete
    2. For me, I think it was the way Fin treated Tormod.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it seemed to me that May himself might have a bit of experience there. Just the way he had Fin explain about things - very true-to-life.

      Delete
  2. Although I was a huge fan of the entire trilogy this one was my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems I'm not the only one considering this one the favorite.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this series too. I'm reading his Enzio McLeod series now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of those as yet. I'll get to them at some point. :-)

      Delete
  4. As much as I loved The Black House, I got distracted and haven't finished this trilogy. I need to get to the library and find a copy of The Lewis Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like this one, Jenclair. I'm almost sure of it.

      Delete
  5. Usually when I read trilogies, the first books are the best, but how wonderful when it's the third book in a trilogy we love best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually the 2nd, but I know what you mean.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the whole trilogy, just the first two. I liked the first one a lot but I absolutely loved The Lewis Man. So much about it that was fascinating to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chessmen is good too, but this one is definitely special.

      Delete
  7. It's my favourite too - I love the way May handles Tormod's stories, both past and present. You make me want to re-read these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that he definitely does a good job with Tormod's story and also his condition. I suspect he might have some experience in that area with a family member or someone.

      Delete
  8. This one was my favorite, too. I think because it's less of a police procedural and more of a study of the human psyche. It goes deeper than the other books in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to hear that many people like this one so much, as I will be getting to it soon. I love the way Peter May writes and enjoyed the two paragraphs you included. Also hope to startthe Enzio McLeod soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon and like it. I haven't tried the Enzo books as yet, but one day.

      Delete
  10. I had hoped (planned) to read this before coming down, but nope. My reading is so different this year, and I'm not going to get it read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Nan. Hope you'll enjoy visiting our group. Not sure which of the May books anyone will choose to read. We'll see.

      Delete
  11. I had the first book checked out from the library and ended up letting it go back unread. Sigh! Now I really want to read it again - guess I better go put it back on hold :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get to it at some point, Sam. Your life is busy and there are just so many books. Keep it in mind. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!