.

.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph - The Eating Instinct



I am linking up with Vicki @ I’d Rather Be At The Beach who hosts a meme every Tuesday to share the First Chapter First Paragraph or two of the book you are currently reading or plan to read soon.

The book I'm sharing this week is one that I picked up randomly from the new books at a local library.  The title made me curious and I found myself quite interested as I stood there reading.  Finally, I got myself together and went to check it out.  As someone who has been on a 'getting healthier' quest - stepping up my activity and also changing a lot of my eating habits, I'm discovering things about my own 'eating instinct'.  Here's a sample of the book:



by Virginia Sole-Smith

First Paragraph(s):

What does it mean to learn to eat, in a world that's constantly telling us not to eat?  It's a question I started asking five years ago, when my daughter Violet stopped eating as a result of severe medical trauma.  Suddenly, we had to begin again, to forget all the normal rules about breast-feeding and spoon-feeding, and gingerly pick our way through a surreal new world where food was simultaneously the enemy and our salvation.  But in many ways, this is also a question I've been asking my whole life, as a woman who came of age at the intersection of the alternative-food movement and the war on obesity.  As a skinny kid growing up in the 1980s, I thought processed foods were great; I felt sorry for my friends whose moms bought only weird brown bread for their peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches.  I'm not saying we never thought about healthy eating--the 1970s and 1980s also saw the birth of modern diet culture, with the rise of aerobics videos and fat-free everything.  And I certainly understood that fat was bad, and that was why we bought skim milk and diet soda.  But this was a more straightforward time for dieting; you joined Weight Watchers and ate SnackWell's if you needed to get thin.  You didn't have to reject an entire food-industrial complex or introduce exotic new ingredients into your diet.  Quinoa was still relegated to the dusty bin in a corner of our town's one hippie-run health food store.  
     But by the time I graduated from high school in 1999, we were buying mesclun greens and whole-grain pasta.  Obesity had become an official public health crisis.  Carbohydrates were the new 'bad food,' though fat was far from vindicated.  We were still a few years away from the landmark publication of Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, but the conversation was beginning--on the coasts, at least--about the importance of organic farming and the need to eat 'whole foods' instead of processed ones.  As I'll explore in the chapters ahead, these twin anxieties about obesity and about the eco-health implications of our modern food system have transformed American food and diet culture.  Eating well has become wildly more complicated; it's now about 'eating clean,' it's about being a socially responsible consumer and an accomplished home chef.  Thinness has become our main measure of health, but also of personal virtue, of having the right kind of education, politics, and morality.

Blurb:

Food is supposed to sustain and nourish us. Eating well, any doctor will tell you, is the best way to take care of yourself. Feeding well, any human will tell you, is the most important job a mother has. But for too many of us, food now feels dangerous. We parse every bite we eat as good or bad, and judge our own worth accordingly. When her newborn daughter stopped eating after a medical crisis, Virginia Sole-Smith spent two years teaching her how to feel safe around food again — and in the process, realized just how many of us are struggling to do the same thing.

The Eating Instinct visits kitchen tables around America to tell Sole-Smith’s own story, as well as the stories of women recovering from weight loss surgery, of people who eat only nine foods, of families with unlimited grocery budgets and those on food stamps. Every struggle is unique. But Sole-Smith shows how they’re also all products of our modern food culture. And they’re all asking the same questions: How did we learn to eat this way? Why is it so hard to feel good about food? And how can we make it better?

--------------------------------------------------------

Would you continue reading?  I'm finding this book fairly fascinating in many aspects.  

35 comments:

  1. I suppose eating is an instinct? lol

    New to me, sounds really interesting. I'd carry on. I love non-fiction books like this. I read a lot of them.

    Here's my Tuesday Teaser post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that eating is an instinct for us. However, this author shows that sometimes that instinct is thwarted for some reason.

      Delete
  2. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but I thought this one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much non-fiction either, Melody. This one is suiting me well - thought provoking.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like one I would enjoy Kay - new to me. I do like a good dose of NF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you like some non-fic Diane. You might try this if you get a chance.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, I want to know what the crisis was and what followed. Hoping my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, the crisis was that that the little baby had some heart problems that caused her to stop eating. There was surgery, but it took the whole family a long time to recover.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a an interesting read. I do believe eating well is a learned concept. It was something I was taught at home probably because I grew up on a farm. But now I find myself researching food more because of the changes in farm practices and more knowledge available about how certian foods and additives impact health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this book has quite a varied bunch of info shared. I'm enjoying most of it, some thing more than others. Thought provoking in any case.

      Delete
  6. This is new to me and sounds like an interesting read. I'll keep an eye out for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting indeed, JoAnn. The author tells about a scary time in her own family and then talks with others about various food related issues. There are a lot of them.

      Delete
  7. I would keep reading. I'm very interested in healthy food, especially healthy food that tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this author tells about a scary time in her own family and then spends time interviewing and learning about food-related thoughts these days and issues. I'm not agreeing with all of it, but certainly finding it interesting.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I would continue reading. I've always liked to cook and take an interest in what we all eat and drink. My 'weakness' is coke, I love it, prefer that to coffee etc. But it's all sugar so I do limit myself and drink other things as well. We grow a lot of our own veggies and make a lot of soup and I seriously believe that that soup has helped me lose a 'lot' of weight. I'll watch out for your review of this, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I'll likely share a few short thoughts when I'm finished with it. Maybe later this week or maybe next week. Yes, I 'broke up' with regular Coke a long time ago, but it was very, very hard to do. LOL

      Delete
  9. This book sounds fascinating, and I do enjoy looking back at how the various food movements have grown. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this author interviews a lot of people about the various food thoughts and movements. I'm finding it quite interesting.

      Delete
  10. It sounds interesting. The question about how did we learn to eat this way intrigues me. When I was young, the occasional fast-food indulgence was a genuine treat, but my mother didn't work. The ease and convenience of fast, processed, and sugar laden foods now makes it difficult to refrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author talks about some of that, Jenclair, and also how certain movements have taken over. She talks about guilt over food and how society says we should eat and prepare and just be within our own bodies. Lots to think about.

      Delete
  11. I think I must be very lucky, and very rare, in that the food I love is the "good" food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are lucky and rare, Nan. Though I will say that there would be some that wouldn't agree with all the food that you like and would say they were 'bad' - like french fries. LOL

      Delete
    2. Well, they aren't too often!! Much less than before because we don't make them ourselves anymore. Maybe four times a year.

      Delete
    3. I know. You've told me that you guys don't make them yourselves anymore. I'm teasing - ;-)

      Delete
  12. Sounds interesting. I'd definitely continue. I'll have to see if I can find myself a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you might find this one interesting, especially the chapters about how we're told to be with our own bodies - image and guilt and such.

      Delete
  13. This is a subject that interest me and I would keep reading. I look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise', I'll share a few things after I finish - maybe later this week or next week. I'm reading it pretty slowly.

      Delete
  14. I don't know if I would read this in print, but I'll bet it's a fascinating audiobook. I'll bet my granddaughter would enjoy it, as well. Thanks, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did read this one in print, but I suspect you might be right. There weren't a lot of charts or anything like that.

      Delete
  15. While I think the subject matter is interesting, I think it's one of those books I really have to be in the mood for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's me too, Iliana. Occasionally, I'm in the mood. Not very often.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!