.

.

Saturday, September 18, 2021

Gone For Good by Joanna Schaffhausen

Hello everyone!  So, can I mention that I think have a new author to add to my 'favorites' list?  Yes, I'm really pleased with the 5 books I've now read by Joanna Schaffhausen.  Four of them were her current Ellery Hathaway series, fifth to come in early 2022.  And I very, very quickly made my way through the first book in this author's new series featuring Detective Annalisa Vega.  The second book is scheduled for late summer of 2022.  Cannot wait!

Gone For Good is set in Chicago with Detective Annalisa Vega as the protagonist.  Annalisa is the daughter of a retired Chicago police officer and she's also the ex-wife of a policeman.  She doesn't date much, but naturally while on a date with a man who is clearly not going to get a second 'yes' to a date request, her work phone pings and she finds herself at a crime scene with a murdered woman.  Oh, and who should come striding up to the scene as well - her ex-husband Nick.  Complications ensue.  

The storyline features the Lovelorn Killer, someone who murdered 7 women over a decade ago.  This new murder seems like it might be related - same killer or a copycat?  We also meet an amateur crime-solving group called The Grave Diggers.  Annalisa has a large family and they play a part as well.  

I was totally involved in this tale and I really like Annalisa, though she does have tendency to place herself in harm's way a bit.  However, she is also a professional law enforcement officer and I think that is different than an amateur sleuth doing the same.  Joanna Schaffhausen is a talented writer in my opinion and her female protagonists are strong, but with 'cracks' in their armor because of what life has thrown at them.  This one and really all this author's books are recommended by me.  Note though that these are not 'cozy' crime scenes with the violence or the result of violence 'off the screen'.  

One more to add to my R.I.P. reading.  And now I've started a new book, The Wonder Test by Michelle Redmond.  I'll be back soon to talk about that one.  Hope all have a good weekend!

18 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this author Kay; I've never come across her books previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, this author is one I've been sort of aware of, but not really. So glad I decided to try her work.

      Delete
  2. I liked the idea of the Grave Diggers group, but I did have quibbles with this one. Maybe I'll like the next in this new series better, but I really want more of Ellery Hathaway and Reed Markham. It must be hard to write a new series after such success with a previous series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I had a few issues with this book too, but I always remind myself to be patient when it's the initial book in a series. I'm so glad to see that both series will have new entries next year.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Rita! Yes, she is indeed good at building suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding a new author to your favorites list is a great feeling! I'm not at all familiar with this one, but it sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed all of this author's books, JoAnn. Glad I tried her work.

      Delete
  5. I feel so anxious when primary characters put themselves in absurdly dangerous situations but if things play out believably I guess I'm okay, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I hear what you are saying. I think, for me, the difference here was that the protagonist is a police detective. She's not an amateur.

      Delete
  6. I've got the first book in her first series tucked away on my Kindle. I need to untuck it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, get to 'untucking'! LOL

      Delete
    2. I did. I'm 3/4 of the way through The Vanishing Season. Good stuff!

      Delete
  7. I love the Chicago setting. This is a book I might look for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you might try it though I suspect it might be a little gritty for you. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Isn't it fun when you discover a new favorite author? So cool that she's becoming a favorite of yours. I know I have some of her books on my Kindle but will have to make sure I read them in order. I love police procedurals and this one sounds like it's one not to be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it a lot as well as all the books by this author. Yes, so happy to have a new favorite to add to my list.

      Delete
  9. I'll be sure to follow this series after having enjoyed the first book. Glad to hear this series is getting better and better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I do encourage you to try the next books in the Ellory series. Lots more secrets and stuff to explore!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!