.

.

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

More RIP Reading - Joanna Schaffhausen's Ellery Hathaway series #2, #3, and #4

Hello book pals!  Hope you are all well and enjoying some good reading.  I certainly have been having fun doing read/listens for more of Joanna Schaffhausen's series featuring Ellery Hathaway.  I mentioned the first book, The Vanishing Season, in my last post.  And these all work well for my R.I.P. reading.

In the second series book, No Mercy, Ellery Hathaway has been required to attend a counseling group because she is on involuntary leave from her police department job after shooting a murderer.  Since this group is for victims of violent crime, Ellery gets involved in various ways with the other members.  She helps one whose attacker has not been caught and she thinks that another member's story might have more to it.  Asking her friend, FBI Profiler Reed Markham, for assistance is hard for her, but he gets involved again and both are risking their jobs.  This was a quick read for me and I enjoyed it thoroughly.  

I quickly moved on to the third book, All The Best Lies.  The storyline here is focused more on Reed Markham's life and background, though Ellery is an active participant as well.  Reed was adopted as a baby, but has known that his birth mother was murdered in Las Vegas when he was quite small.  His adopted family is a prominent one in Virginia and when Reed unexpectedly finds out some additional information about his background, he goes to Las Vegas to explore the cold case crime of his mother's murder.  Ellery, still on leave from her police department, goes as well.  Lots of secrets and surprises here.  I also read this one very fast and liked it a lot.

The next book in the series, the fourth, is entitled Every Waking Hour.  This is the latest book featuring Ellery and Reed, but a fifth is scheduled to be published in January, Last Seen Alive.  As Every Waking Hour begins, Ellery is back on the job and is now with the Boston Police Department as a new detective.  She and Reed are still working out what their relationship looks like and he is visiting Boston.  A young girl, age 12, goes missing and Ellery and her new partner are assigned to the case.  It's important to Ellery to find Chloe and hopefully be able to rescue her as Reed did Ellery herself.  The characters lives move along with this book and also the ones before it.  I don't want to share too much because of spoilers, but this series is a good one for me.  I'll be waiting impatiently for the fifth book.

Meanwhile, Joanna Schaffhausen has a new book out, Gone For Good.  It's the first in a new series featuring Detective Annalisa Vega.  I started this book today and look forward to meeting new characters and seeing where this author takes me next.       

21 comments:

  1. The Ellery & Reed series sounds good - love a Boston setting. These seem great for RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed them, Diane. And there were even a few Boston locations that I've been to on my one trip to Boston! LOL

      Delete
  2. I am so impatiently waiting for the next book in this series! I have to know what happens with Ellery and Reed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both, Lark. You need to read her new series. Bet you'd like it.

      Delete
  3. So much fun to discover a mystery writer and just read and read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a completely true statement for both of us, right?

      Delete
  4. I've only read the first book of the Ellery Hathaway series so far and it was a good one. Looking forward to reading more of this series. And I'm glad to hear she has a new series out as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to try more of this author's books, Melody!

      Delete
  5. Wow, you're racing through the series! Sounds like a fun one too. Perfect for RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has indeed been a good series and author for me during this RIP time.

      Delete
  6. Oooh, sounds like a great series! I'm always looking for compelling new ones to love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think you might like these books, Susan. Just saying...

      Delete
  7. I've enjoyed these, and I have liked the succeeding books even better than the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Jenclair. This author is doing a good job of letting us know more about the characters, letting them grow and change.

      Delete
  8. Rita, I think you might like her new series as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read Vanishing Season as I have it on my NetGalley shelf and I love the sound of the rest of the books in the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try The Vanishing Season and see what you think. It's a good series.

      Delete
  10. I definitely need to get started on this series. Love the reviews you've shared and it's neat to see how you talk about all the series so far. I've seen this author's books but I think I thought they were standalones. You're doing great with your R.I.P. reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely having a good time with my RIP reading. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!