.

.

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Book groups and author events and reading...lots of fun!

Hey everyone!  Hope you are all well and enjoying fall weather and reading.  R.I.P. XVI is almost at an end and I'll have a final post about that probably Monday or so.  However, today I'm going to share a bit about some book related things that I've been able to happily participate in.  

First of all, I attended the 'Talking Texas' Book Group this last Thursday and enjoyed a nice discussion with several members about Attica Locke's first Highway 59 mystery, Bluebird, Bluebird.  Set in East Texas, this book has an African American Texas Ranger protagonist, Darren Mathews.  There are two murders that Darren investigates and I think you can probably imagine that race relations, rural mindsets, and other complications play a part.  This Ranger is from East Texas and so he understands a lot of things that others might not, but he also learns things that he didn't know.  

The 'Talking Texas' group had an interesting discussion of the book and I enjoyed hearing opinions and thoughts from everyone.  A couple couldn't finish the book because the issues made them so sad or upset, but we all agreed that those feelings were not necessarily a bad thing.  There is a second book featuring Ranger Mathews, also set in East Texas, and including some legends and info regarding the Native American Caddo tribe.  That book is Heaven, My Home, and I read that one as well.  Both books gave me a lot to think about.  Not easy reads.  Good crime novels.  


Next, I attended a Zoom event with an Australian author, Virginia King.  She had been in contact with Gayle from the mystery group I attended while in Austin and they were able to set up a meeting with those of us who wanted to talk about Virginia's newest book, Planting Pearls.  This book is a prequel to Virginia's series featuring Selkie Moon.  It is a mystery, but with some metaphysical things included.  Set in Hawaii, there are legends and lore that come from the South Pacific part of the world.  I liked the book and enjoyed our talk with the author a lot.

I've also gone to several author events at my local library here in Kerrville in the last few weeks.  One I'll mention was with a local author, Joanne Kukanza Easley.  She has written a couple of books, one recently published called Just One Look and another previously published called Sweet Jane.  I got a copy of Sweet Jane and really enjoyed Joanne's talk about writing her books and also writing tips for those in the audience who asked questions.  I spoke with her after her talk and said that I'd love to have her share a guest post here if she'd like to.  We'll see if she and I can arrange that.  

There will be another author event in November that I'll talk about if I'm able to attend.  A mystery author no less!  Yay!  Her name is Skye Alexander and I've met and enjoyed talking with her at the library already.  Her book, which she will be featuring, is Never Try To Catch A Falling Knife.  More about that in a few weeks.

In other reading, I have finished the second book in Anne Perry's Daniel Pitt series, Triple Jeopardy.  I read the first book in the series for the mystery group November meeting.  I'll put together my thoughts on those books to send to the group by email.  I liked both books and enjoyed this 'second generation' Pitt protagonist.  There are a couple more books in this series so far and I suspect I'll be reading those soon.  By the way, Daniel Pitt is the son of Thomas and Charlotte Pitt, protagonists of Perry's long-running series.  Daniel is a lawyer, so comes at things a little differently than his father, a policeman.

I just started Karen Cleveland's latest book, You Can Run.  I've read other books by this author and am hoping this one will be a good one.  And that's about all I have for today.  Have a good weekend and Happy Halloween!!              

21 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the other authors, but Attica Locke is a favorite. I love the first two books in her Hwy 59 series with Darren Mathews.

    Glad you enjoyed your author events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenclair. I'm not surprised that you enjoyed that Hwy 59 series too.

      Delete
  2. I am SO,SO,SO happy for you. Your excitement pops right off the page. Lots of fun for you. All these writers and events!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan! Yes, I've been having fun getting to know my new area and meeting other readers. And actually reading. LOL

      Delete
  3. Glad you are out and meeting new people Kay. I hear Attica Locke is a good author but I don't think that story is for me. I tried Blacktop Wasteland, Cosby and that was a DNF and I feel it's probably a similar kind of story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Diane, I do think that the Attica Locke stories I read would not be for everyone. I think the setting was a big pull for me.

      Delete
  4. So glad you enjoyed your first book group meeting in Kerrville! I've been meaning to read the sequel to Bluebird, Bluebird. I thought it was a very strong crime story. Are you doing any of the virtual Texas Book festival? I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance. Anyway happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana. No, I'm not doing the Texas Book Festival this year. Hope they are able to have it in person totally next year!

      Delete
  5. That's so awesome that you've been able to attend such a variety of events!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound so happy, Kay! Glad you had fun at your first book group meeting. I wish I was more interested in Bluebird, Bluebird, but I don't think it's for me. I tried it on audio and in print, but couldn't get interested. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les! Yes, I don't think Bluebird, Bluebird would be for everyone. As I said above, I think the setting was part of the pull for me.

      Delete
  7. Your happiness at being able to attend these bookish events is on full display here! I'm so glad these opportunities are slowly returning. There has still been no announcement about our library book group... I'll just have to ask when I go in for a fresh stack of books this week. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been happy as well, JoAnn. The area I live is lucky to be able to begin in-person events again. Makes a big difference when one is not in a place where there are more than a million people. Austin has not yet opened their library meeting rooms to book groups or anyone and it's been quite frustrating and sad for the groups themselves. Hopefully, next year?

      Delete
  8. I need to look up Bluebird, Bluebird. I'm in a southern USA frame of mind at the moment and have just started Deep South by Paul Theroux. I think it's going to be interesting.

    Lovely reading about all your bookish events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, you might see what you think about Bluebird, Bluebird. It has a very strong sense of place and, as I said, includes several very troubling issues. Enjoy your Deep South book!

      Delete
  9. What wonderful bookish events you've had lately! I definitely agree that feelings like those raised by Bluebird, Bluebird aren't bad at all though I've been hesitant in picking up books that tear me up emotionally right now. I love the cover of Sweet Jane and I'm curious about the new Anne Perry series. I bought almost all of the books in the first Pitt series and ended up not like them at all so I'm not sure about this one though I did end up really enjoying a more recent book by her in the William Monk (sp?) series. I should probably give her another chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I read the Pitt books way back. I think I'd still like them now, but who knows? We all probably have different feelings about books at different times.

      Delete
  10. I love bookish events!! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too and am certainly enjoying attending.

      Delete
  11. Jealous of your return to normal! I miss bookish events.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!