.

.

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Reading a few more recently published books...I'm having a good summer in that regard...

Hi there, book friends!  Hope you are all doing well or doing well enough.  I greet you from the dry, hot Central Texas area with little rain forecast for upcoming days or weeks.  Well, that's summer.  This is indeed one of our hottest years in over 10 years, but 2011 was awful as well.  Guess we will see what fall brings.  Yes, we've got August to get through first.  Aren't we glad that we have air conditioning?  When I was a kid, not so much or not everywhere.  I can remember the sound of fans rotating back and forth and back and forth.  Ceiling fans were not such a thing in those days and windows were open to catch a small breeze.  Yes, that was in Texas too.  What was really hot was school.  It wasn't a normal thing for schools to have A/C in Texas probably until the 1970's.  Anyway, I'm grateful for what we have now.  


I've been reading more newly published books and enjoying them.  Here's some info about three of them.  First up was Ruth Ware's new book, The It Girl.  I think I've read all of Ruth Ware's books and though I have my favorites, I've enjoyed each of them.  This tells the story of friends at Oxford over a decade ago and what happens when one of them is killed during that university time.  And it also brings them up to the present day and how their lives are now and the possibility that the man convicted of the murder was not guilty.  Two of the friends are now married and expecting their first child.  The story goes back and forth and I was reading quickly to see if I could guess the solution.  Enjoyed this one a lot.


The next book I picked up was Sarah Pearse's latest, The Retreat.  I read this author's first book, The Sanatorium, last fall I think.  That book featured the same detective, Elin Warner, and was set in the Swiss Alps.  The Retreat has an island setting that has a dark history but now contains a wellness 'retreat'.  When a body is found below the yoga pavilion, Elin and her colleague are sent to investigate.  As I said, the island has a dark and supposedly 'cursed' past.  The setting is important here and the weather also plays a big part.  More than one person dies and Elin's investigation gets very complicated.  I liked this one a lot too.


My next book had an even more vivid setting, The Himalayas, and it was definitely a 'cold' book with mountain climbing and murder.  Breathless is Amy McCulloch's first adult book, though she has written several YA books.  The pace of this story was 'breathless' indeed and the setting and information about climbing the highest peaks was interesting and very scary.  The mountain to be climbed is Manaslu, 8th highest in the world, and the author did make that climb herself.  I think that's why her descriptions are so amazing.  The story is good, though I did get a little annoyed with the protagonist, Cecily Wong, a journalist who has come to climb the mountain in order to get an interview with Charles McVeigh, a famous mountaineer.  As the expedition begins, someone dies and then another person....are these horrible accidents or is there a killer on this mountain?  Well, you'll have to read Breathless to find out.  

Now, I'm reading The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner for the August discussion of the historical fiction book group I've been attending.  I'm liking a little slower pace and not so many gasps - ha!  I'm only going to be able to attend two of the four book groups I've been enjoying for August, so I won't have quite as many books to attempt to read.  The mystery group will be discussing The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey and I'm looking forward to talking about that one with the group.  Happily, I've already read that one and will likely just remind myself of a few things about it.

So, have you tried any of the books I mentioned above?  Let me know if you have and what you thought about them.  I'll be back soon to share more.  Take care!                

29 comments:

  1. That's a lot of good books you've read! I have Breathless on my TBR list, and I think I want to read the new Sarah Pearse book, but I didn't love The Sanatorium; is this new one better? same? not as good? I'm curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I think I liked this one better, but I'm having a bit of difficulty remembering exactly what I liked or didn't like about The Sanatorium. That's what happens when you only note that you read the book and there's no review. Ha! I did like this one. The protagonist is still dealing with some of the issues from the first book, but she is investigating officially. Wasn't she on leave in The Sanatorium? Anyway, see what you think. You can always move on if it doesn't work for you.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love a good mountaineering book so I'll be looking into Breathless. How are you liking The Jane Austen Bookclub? Reading a few JA themed books at the moment and I've seen that one mentioned a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, Breathless is what I would call a good mountaineering book, but the pace is very quick. I had a hard time putting it down. I did get a bit irritated by the protagonist because she questioned herself a lot and didn't always make the best decisions (in my opinion anyway). Didn't stop my reading pace though. Ha!

      As to The Jane Austen Society (as opposed to The Jane Austen Bookclub - which I loved the movie and didn't care for the book), the Society book is going well. Set in the 1940's it's been interesting that the war isn't mentioned more, but I'm about halfway. Definitely a lot of Jane Austen lore and stuff about all the books. I think if you hadn't read any of the books you might be a bit lost because they don't always say - this is a character from Persuasion we're talking about or whatever. I'll let you know what I think when I finish.

      Delete
  3. Someday I plan to read The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner. It sounds very good. I look forward to hearing about what you think of it when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm about at the halfway point right now and liking it. It is a lot calmer than what I've been reading and so I'm having to adjust to a slower story. However, lots of Jane Austen lore and references to characters and situations. I'll share more when I finish it.

      Delete
  4. Ruth Ware's books are a must-read to me. I want to read The Retreat too after reading The Sanatorium, which I found it to be an average read. Breathless sounds good to me so I'll be adding that onto my wishlist as well. Hope you've a great week, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, Breathless was definitely a fast-paced book. I was swept along. The Retreat (as I said to Lark above) was better in my opinion than The Sanatorium, but I'll be curious what you and Lark would think about it.

      Delete
  5. I've fallen behind on Ruth Ware's books, but I've enjoyed the ones I've read. I still need to read The Sanatorium, too. Glad you're getting so many good reads in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I've somehow managed to keep up with Ruth Ware's books, but I can't do it with every author. Ha! I thought The It Girl was good and I enjoyed the Oxford storyline and setting. Another part of the book was set in Scotland. And I'd be interested in what you thought about The Sanatorium if you get to it. Yes, I'm having a good reading patch right now. :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow you have read some recent ones lately. I have IT Girl. I decided to read that new Irving first so it may be a bit before I get to Ware.

    I can't complain about our weather here in So Cal. 95 every day with cool mornings and evenings. At this time of the year 110 is not uncommon so this is quite pleasant. I would love if it stayed this way. Not a drop of rain though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The post above is me, Ti. I don't know why it won't let me include my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why either. Anyway, I thought it was you probably based on the So Cal stuff. I would just be happier with a little cooler in the mornings for my walks. It keeps going back and forth between about 72 and 78. I think 68 would be perfect. That Irving book will probably take you a bit of time, but The It Girl will still be there whenever. It would be a good fall book.

      Delete
  8. It's too bad you couldn't get out to Oregon this summer. While it was 103 in Portland yesterday, it was a very cool 52 here on the coast! I'm still waiting for summer. ;) I haven't read any of the books that you mentioned, but they all sound very appealing. I'm enjoying another Deborah Crombie book (No Mark Upon Her), as well as The Four Winds (on audio).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes - Oregon. Well, we planned to get out there, but we have reservations for July 2023. You're moving right on along with the Crombie books. Soon you'll be where I am - waiting for the next. I think a new Duncan/Gemma book will come out in February 2023. Yay!

      Delete
  9. Hi Kay, glad you are enjoying your summer despite the drought. The IT GIRL is on my summer reading list which I hope to dive more intro in August. Think I've read 11/20 so far and a few alternates. Thinking about an audio classic soon as well or maybe in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you've done very well with your summer list. And an audio classic - which are you thinking about? Inquiring minds...LOL!

      Delete
  10. I've got The It Girl queued up on my Kindle and hope to get to it before summer's end. I'm jealous that you've gotten to all of those recently published titles. For me, it's a never-ending challenge to balance reading not-yet-published books with recently published ones, and then I always have a few older titles in the mix. I guess it's a good problem to have--my reading piles contain enough books to last several lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I'll watch for what you might think about The It Girl. I bet you'll like it. As to getting the 'new' books, well, since I don't do the ARCs anymore, my places to get books are two libraries and buying them. Ha! I have been able to figure out how to put a hold on books that my new library has recently ordered. I was always jealous when others talked about placing holds long before the books came in to the library. Now I can and I'm taking advantage. Ha!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read any of these books, but Ruth Ware is an author I'd like to try. It's been very warm here in CT, too, but not like Texas. We got a brief reprieve a couple of nights ago when it got down into the 60s - having the windows open was heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the '60's. I can only dream. Ha! This season too will pass, but I do miss my indoor walking tracks in the Austin area. They don't have one here other than the little mall and the timing for opening is not ideal for me. I'll just have to be patient. You ought to try a book or two by Ruth Ware. Might like them and they are all standalones.

      Delete
  12. I need to give Ruth Ware another try. I adored her first two books was meh on book three and than never made it very far on book four. Breath Less and The Retreat both sound amazing and nice and cool! It's boiling hot here too. Alabama always has a hot summer (as does Central Texas) but this year has been absolutely crazy. Not a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do know that you understand the summer heat. I'm betting that you guys might have a bit more humidity than we too - which, as we know, can make it even more 'boiling'. Just a few more weeks. As to the Ruth Ware book, she might just not be to your taste right now. I will say that I still think her first book is my favorite.

      Delete
  13. We've actually been having a little cold spell here in Arizona! Temps have been in the 90s, even getting down to the 70s the other night after some monsoon storms. It's humid, but definitely nicer than our usual 110+ temperatures. I'll take it, although the storms have been a little wild. My windshield has a big crack in it to show how crazy one storm was, but I made it through a harrowing drive safely, and that's all that matters!

    We didn't have a/c growing up in Washington, so we spent the summers hanging out in the basement or in the river. I can't imagine doing a Texas or Arizona summer without air. Yikes.

    I love Ware as well. I didn't love THE SANITORIUM, but I will probably still read THE RETREAT eventually. BREATHLESS is another one I didn't love, although it did keep me reading. I like books about mountain climbing. They're always intriguing to me.

    Glad you enjoyed all these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you do understand the disparities between summer in the Pacific Northwest and summer in the Southwest. Sorry about your windshield, but these things will happen for sure. I know that you guys need rain too. I think I mentioned above that I did like THE RETREAT more than THE SANITORIUM. And BREATHLESS was quite the gripping tale, but I also mentioned that I got a bit weary of the protagonist and her thought process. The mountain climbing stuff was very interesting.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you enjoyed The It Girl! I think Ruth Ware is my favorite author. She has been for a few years now. I'm looking forward to reading Breathless, though I may wait until fall. The R.I.P. reading challenge is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like Ruth Ware too. I think I've read every book she's written. R.I.P. - my favorite time of year to read!

      Delete
  15. Hi Kay! Hope you are hanging in there with this heat. It's been awful hasn't it? I'm glad to hear you are reading some great books and still participating with your book group. And, yes, I do have several of the books you mentioned on my TBR - Ruth Ware and Sarah Pearse. I must get to their books one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see a comment from you, Iliana! Yes, it has definitely been very hot. We were in Austin this weekend and it wasn't quite as hot I guess. Coming back to Kerrville, I think it's 83 out there right now. Almost like a cool front. Wish there was some rain in the clouds though.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!