.

.

Monday, August 1, 2022

A little visitor and a couple of more books read...

 


Hi there book friends!  Can you believe that today is the first day of August?  I can't.  And yet, since I'm kind of ready for fall, it's OK.  Hope you like my picture above of a sweet little visitor we had right below our back porch area.  I took this shot a couple of months back and had forgotten that I was going to share it here.  I suspect this little one was only a few hours old.  Very tiny.  We have a bunch of deer that wander around our area and the fawns in the group have grown much bigger since spring.  Don't worry.  The 'mama' deer was very nearby, though the does will sometimes tuck their fawns in a sheltered spot and leave them for a bit to forage.  They always come back for them.  

I've still been reading up a storm and have a couple of books to share thoughts with you.  The first is The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner.  I did like this book so much!  It was just the right book for me to read after several thrillers.  I love anything about Jane Austen.  The Jane Austen Book Club is one of my favorite movies.  This book is about a group of people who come together in the English village of Chawton to try to preserve Jane Austen's final home and some of her possessions as a gift to society in general.  The time period is the late WWII period, though the war itself plays very little part in the story.  There's a doctor, a teacher, a farmer, an actress, a housemaid, and others who form the Society.  Each of them has a story and we get to know them gradually.  Their struggles are eased by their personal journeys reading Austen books and I like the way the themes of the novels and characters are used to support and tell this tale.  

I'll be discussing this book with our 'Historical Fiction' Book Group on Thursday and I'm excited to hear what others thoughts about it.  This is Natalie Jenner's first book, but she has a second that was published in late spring, The Bloomsbury Girls.  Set in the 1950's, the new book tells of a bookstore and three women who work there.  There is a character from The Jane Austen Society who is part of the book, but I won't tell who.  Have you read either of these books?  Do tell!

The second book I read recently was The New Neighbor by Karen Cleveland and it was another thriller.  I think I've read all of this author's books.  They usually include people who work for either the CIA or the FBI, sometimes both.  I've enjoyed all of them and that was the same here.  As a former CIA counterterrorism analyst, Karen Cleveland brings a sense of authenticity to her books that I like.  This story was set in a neighborhood cul-de-sac and tells of Beth Bradford, a CIA analyst, who has been hunting for a spy for over 15 years.  However her life is going to change - rapidly.  Her children are now grown and gone and she and her husband are selling their house on the 'perfect' street.  She goes to work and finds big changes to her job - she's being taken off her primary case.  What has caused this action and how might it be connected to her own neighborhood?  Well, you'll have to read The New Neighbor to see.  This was a quick read for me.  

I'm now reading Tess Gerritsen's new Rizzoli and Isles book, Listen To Me.  Good so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come back tomorrow when I'll have a guest post by J. G. Schwartz, an author from San Antonio who had an event at our local library a couple of weeks ago.  She had an interesting presentation and I look forward to reading her books.         

22 comments:

  1. I have both of Natalie Jenner's books on my TBR, I really need to make time for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested in what you think, Angela, if you get to read them. Bet you like the first one. LOL

      Delete
  2. Such a darling fawn! :D I haven't read the Jane Austen Society yet, but I want to; I have Bloomsbury Girls on my TBR list, too. They both sound really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fawn is precious isn't it? Not sure if boy or girl. Ha! I'll be curious what you think about Natalie Jenner's book too, Lark.

      Delete
  3. What fun to spot that cute little fawn!

    I've read Need to Know by Cleveland, but nothing else. I didn't care for the main character's inner dialogue and wonder if the author does this sort of narrative in her other books. I may give this new one a try someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, this is funny. As I remembered, I liked all the books by this author. However, I went back and looked at my reviews and found the one for Need To Know. The inner dialogue annoyed me too. Now I remember. I did say that I might have liked it better in print. Memory of reading is a funny thing. Karen Cleveland does have her protagonists be a little too back-and-forth in their thinking, so this might not be the author for you, Les. I did OK with this new one, but it was pretty fast paced. I wasn't stopping much to think about things.

      Delete
  4. I love the fawn, how neat that it's right by your house! I loved Rizzoli and Isles and was so sad when it was cancelled. I haven't read the books yet but I think I would love them too.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those little fawns are so cute. I have enjoyed the Rizzoli and Isles books for many years. It's been 5 or 6 years since she wrote a new one. What I will tell you is that the TV Rizzoli and Isles are a bit different than the book characters, certainly in looks. That's Hollywood though. LOL

      Delete
  5. Both of Natalie Jenner's books are on my wish list. I enjoy all things Austen, so will probably try The Jane Austen Society first. The fawn is adorable. We used to have a lot of deer around our house in NY. Have been told they're in our CT neighborhood, too, but I haven't seen any yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, we've had deer at our last three houses - in Austin, outside of Georgetown (north of Austin) and now here in Kerrville. We're very used to them. I encourage you to try Natalie Jenner's books. The audio of the Jane Austen book is good. Can't think of the narrator's name right now, but it's a man with a deep voice.

      Delete
  6. That fawn picture made me smile; so adorable Kay. Both of the books you mentioned sound so different yet very appealing as well. Glad you've been reading a lot - me too. Have a great August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the fawn is precious. Yes, I've been reading all over the spectrum, for me anyway. I finished that new Rizzoli and Isles book and am now reading Hide by Kiersten White - horror in an old amusement park. Someone else read that one and talked about it - think it was Lark maybe.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read either book but the JAS sounds perfect for a Masterpiece production. Love the fawn pic. Happy August!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I think you'd be right about a Masterpiece adaptation. Maybe someone will try it. Happy August right back at you!

      Delete
  8. That fawn looks cute! And it's great that you managed to take a pic of it. :)
    The New Neighbor sounds like a good read. Is it part of a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, I had to be so quiet when I was trying to get that shot. As I said, the 'mama' was near and it's so easy to startle the deer and their little ones. The New Neighbor was good. You might try it. No, not a series. All her books are standalones, though there are sometimes crossover characters, but they usually don't play a very big part when they appear.

      Delete
  9. Awwwww, what a sweet little fawn! I love watching deer. They're so graceful and beautiful.

    I'm looking forward to reading THE BLOOMSBURY GIRLS. THE JANE AUSTEN SOCIETY also sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cute, right? Discussed The Jane Austen Society yesterday with a book group. Most really liked it and almost all of us are planning to read The Bloomsbury Girls. :-)

      Delete
  10. Love the picture of the sweet fawn. I know deer are hard on gardens but I always get a thrill seeing them. The Jane Austen Society sounds like a must read for me and I like the sound of The New Neighbor - especially seeing the author's previous work experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have some neighbors who don't like the deer munching on their plants. We're not really that upset as we are not big gardeners. I think you'd like The Jane Austen Society, Katherine.

      Delete
  11. Aww, the baby deer is so sweet! The New Neighbor sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Very cute! You might like The New Neighbor, Diana.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!