.

.

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The renovations begin....plus a new Kelley Armstrong book I'll be excited to read next year...

Hello book friends!  I've been away a bit and am going to continue to be on a break for a while.  The lovely news is that our renovations have begun on our house here in Kerrville.  We've been waiting for several months and anticipating the work to be done.  Our contractor began with our guest bath and today was 'rip-out' day for my kitchen.  It is complicated to have major things done while one is still living in the house, but we've done it before.  Happily, things are moving along.  Most of the cabinets are done, ready to be set so the countertops can be measured and the guest shower has been tiled.  Progress!  All the appliances are in and sitting around in boxes.  My current fridge is in the family room.  We'll manage.  Ha!

So, as I said, I'm taking a break for a few weeks.  I did want to mention a book that I'm going to be excited about reading next spring.  I've enjoyed Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series - all 7 books so far.  It was apparent in the last book that many things would be changing for Casey Duncan and her town.  The next book featuring Casey will be Murder At Haven's Rock and it will be available in late Februrary, 2023.  Here's the cover and the blurb below.  I'm so happy that Casey will continue as a character!  And I'll be around in a few weeks to update on what's going on with me and my reading.  Take care, everyone!


Murder At Haven's Rock by Kelley Armstrong - Available February 21, 2023

Haven’s Rock, Yukon. Population: 0

Deep in the Yukon wilderness, a town is being built. A place for people to disappear, a fresh start from a life on the run. Haven’s Rock isn’t the first town of this kind, something detective Casey Duncan and her husband, Sheriff Eric Dalton, know first-hand. They met in the original town of Rockton. But greed and deception led the couple to financing a new refuge for those in need. This time around, they get to decide which applicants are approved for residency.

There’s only one rule in Haven’s Rock: stay out of the forest. When two of the town's construction crew members break it and go missing, Casey and Eric are called in ahead of schedule to track them down. When a body is discovered, well-hidden with evidence of foul play, Casey and Eric must find out what happened to the dead woman, and locate those still missing. The longer Casey and Eric don’t know what happened, the more danger everyone is in.

21 comments:

  1. Yay! Another book with Casey and Eric. I'm so excited to hear that. You just made my day. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad, Lark. That's how I felt too. I was afraid that we wouldn't see Casey and Eric again.

      Delete
  2. I hope the renovations crack along at a steady pace and are soon over and done with, Kay. So many people love the Rockton series, I really should try again with those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reno work is progressing at a good pace. Just lots of adjustments to 'regular' life and it will take a bit as we are having quite a bit done. We'll manage, but be so glad when we're finished and have all the changes done. I've enjoyed the Rockton series, but it might not be for everyone.

      Delete
  3. I hope all the renovations go well and you can soon have your "new" home all to yourselves to enjoy! Hope you got some rain in your area too as we definitely need it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reno work is coming along. Just lots of pieces to put together with various types of contractors coming and going. And, yes, we did get some rain. Not as much as some other areas, but we'll take anything at this point.

      Delete
  4. I hope the renovations finish up easily, Kay. I don't think I knew about a new Rockton book. I read another one (book 4) a few weeks ago and continue to enjoy the series.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. The reno work is progressing at a good pace. Yes, I just stumbled across the notice about the new Armstrong book. I was afraid she might be finished with the characters, but, happily, is not.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with all of the renovations! Amy is getting ready to have her kitchen done, too. I hope you'll share some photos of the before and after. :) I'm almost finished catching up with Deborah Crombie's series and may look into the Rockton books. Oh, but wait! I'm already planning to binge on Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler series first. Those will take about a year, if I read one a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, good luck to Amy with her kitchen. It's complicated when you do that, but as long as you can adjust a bit (or more than a bit), it's doable. You might think about trying the Rockton books after you finish the Hill series. There are 7 Rockton book, I think, and then there will be this new one. Not a super long series to try.

      Delete
  6. Now the fun begins - ha! Wishing the best of luck with your renovations, Kay. Sounds like most of the major supplies are in and ready to go. We're having several windows replaced at our new place in CT, hopefully next month... waiting on the windows.

    We'll look forward to seeing you when you get back. I'm sure you have plenty of great books ahead... plus audios for you walks. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the luck, JoAnn! I know you are familiar with the trials and issues of renovation. It's progressing at a good pace, but will be several weeks more at the very quickest. I understand about waiting and we've known that windows were quite tough. I think when we first talked to our contractor in early spring, he told us 21-24 weeks at that time. We are replacing two windows, but that's all at this time.

      Delete
  7. You've waited a good long time for those renovations. May they all go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! They are progressing well and we're hopeful that things will click along as smoothly as possible. These days, always things that you can't predict, right? LOL

      Delete
  8. Oh Boy Kay - so happy those renovations have begun, and, I hope it all goes smoothly. I have never read anything by Kelly A but, I hope you enjoy this new offering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Diane. And, yes, I know I'll enjoy the new Armstrong book when it comes. :-)

      Delete
  9. Yay for the renovations getting started and I hope they go as smoothly as renovations can go. The new Armstrong book sounds good. I've been really wanting to read the Casey Duncan series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Katherine. So far, so good - other than the dust, etc. Ah well.

      Delete
  10. I can't wait to see the renovations, Kay.

    I signed up last week to volunteer for a bit at the Texas Book Festival this year in Austin. Bravely moving back out into the world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, how nice that you're volunteering at the Book Festival. I know you will enjoy that. I'm taking a look at the Historical Novel Society Conference that will be taking place in San Antonio in early June of 2023. An author friend here in Kerrville told me about it and she will be speaking on a panel I think. Anyway, I'm considering attending even though I'm not as well-versed in historical fiction as I am in mysteries. Still - San Antonio is less than an hour from me here. And I'm hopefully going to go to a the Left Coast Crime Conference in spring of next year. Yes, bravely moving back out...

      Delete
  11. Good luck with the remodels! I know what it's like to live in a house while it's being worked on and it's NOT fun. Thankfully, most of our kitchen was done before we moved into our house. My aunt-in-law has been having hers done for the last few months and has been using the bathroom as a kitchen! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!