.

.

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Bones Under The Ice by Mary Ann Miller

Bones Under The Ice by Mary Ann Miller

First Paragraph:

Sheriff Jhonni Laurent half-strode, half-slid down the huge pile of snow, her breath streaming out in a white plume.  A February blizzard had blown through northern Indiana the night before.  The gusting winds had now died, but the late morning temperature was plummeting.  She glared at the pesky reporter perched at the bottom of the hill, pelting questions.

My Thoughts:

I'm laughing because I've had a 'read cold books in summer' way of doing things for a long, long time.  And yet - this is the second book I've read recently that is definitely 'cold'.  Ah well.  Bones Under The Ice is a debut mystery by Mary Ann Miller.  It's the first in a planned series and features a female sheriff in small town Indiana.  Set in the winter, it begins with the discovery of a victim in the snow.  The question arises whether the young woman got lost in the blizzard or if more nefarious things are going on.  I did like this one and really more so as the story continued.  As I mentioned, it's a debut book and we are getting to know the characters and place, etc.  The story is a little slow at first, but it ramps up by the end.  I've found that the next book in the series will be coming out in October.  It's called Cracks Beneath The Surface.  I'll be watching for that one.  If you try this one, let me know what you think.

Blurb:

Jhonni Laurent is the first female sheriff of Field' s Crossing, Indiana— and now she has her first murder case.

Two days after a blizzard hits Field's Crossing, Indiana, Sheriff Jhonni Laurent discovers the frozen body of a high school senior under a fifteen-foot pile of snow and ice. Murder is rare in farm country, and this death marks the beginning of Jhonni' s first homicide case.

Just as the investigation gets underway, Jhonni' s opponent for sheriff from four years ago wages a bitter reelection battle to oust her. Then, Jhonni finds another body, and further complications arise when a century-old feud between two families reaches its breaking point.

Soon, a slew of newspaper articles causes the Indiana State Election Board to doubt her credibility. Jhonni must fight to maintain her reputation, keep the small farming community together, and find the murderer at large— all while demons from her own past threaten to crush her. Can she find the killer and mend her battered spirit before it' s too late?

12 comments:

  1. This does sound like a good one! And I love reading about blizzards in books...that snowy setting works well for both survival books and mysteries. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that blizzards make a good setting for spooky or mysterious books. Maybe I'll look for more 'cold' books. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good start to a series! I agree, the first book is usually slow because the author has to establish the characters and settings and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think always give a bit more time to settle in with debut books. I'll definitely be watching for the next in the series, Angela.

      Delete
  3. Haha.. I'm laughing because I totally understand the "reading cold books" in the summer. What else can we do against the Texas heat right? This sounds like good start to a new mystery series. Let us know if you do read the next in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I know that you understand my 'cold books in summer' rule. However, if we could escape an ice storm or horrible cold weather this year, I could read more 'cold' books. LOL

      Delete
  4. Brr that makes me feel cold having grew up in Illinois/Wisconsin. Sounds good though and I story line I would like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, it was a good one. Hoping that this will be a series that blossoms and is successful.

      Delete
  5. I like the premise of a female sheriff in small town Indiana. I am not sure I have read anything set in Indiana. My husband is familiar with that state since he grew up in Ohio and had cousins living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I agree about the Indiana setting. I could not remember if I had read another book set there. I know I've never visited that state.

      Delete
  6. Oh I'm definitely intrigued! I typically read cold books in summer too - especially around August when I'm so tired of it being super hot outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, must be a 'southern' thing - ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!