.

.

Monday, December 11, 2023

The Twelve Days Of Murder by Andreina Cordani

The Twelve Days Of Murder by Andreina Cordani

First Paragraph:

You Are Invited to a Murder

Charley has been holding the heavy, cream-coloured invitation card for four hours now, running her fingers over the glossy, embossed calligraphy.  The details:  time and place of killing, dress code, RSVP.  The black edges of the invitation are becoming worn away by the constant stroking of her fingertips.

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book!  OK, in the last few days many are sharing their 'Christmas' and 'Holiday' reads and I've been loving hearing about them.  What does Kay end up enjoying?  A 'nice' Christmas murder story.  Ha!  I've shared that my reading has been distracted and up and down.  Well, I did a read/listen of this book, having checked the print copy out from my 'new' library.  And I just couldn't put it down.  It reminded me a bit of some other holiday mysteries and also of the 'group stranded' theme that is very popular these days.  Shades of Agatha Christie, but a bit more gruesome.  Twists and turns galore.  The audio was narrated by Ella Lynch and I'm not sure I've heard her before, but she was great.  Had the various Scottish/British accents down pat.  It was cold and snowy and creepy.  Lots of fun.  This is Andreina Cordani's first adult book - think she has written some YA books in the past.  In any case, I'll be watching for what she writes next.  Did I guess the outcome?  Not exactly.  Now, off to find another good read.

Blurb:

Twelve years ago, eight friends ran an exclusive group at university: the Masquerade Murder Society. The mysteries they solved may have been grisly, and brilliantly staged, but they were always fictional—until their final Christmas Masquerade, when one of the group disappeared, never to be seen again.

Now our privileged young cast of old university friends are summoned to the depths of Scotland for a Christmas-themed masquerade party. But all are hiding something deep below the surface that could make or break their careers.

When they arrive, each is assigned a new identity themed around the Twelve Days of Christmas—they become Lady Partridge or Mr. Gold, Lord Leapworth or Doctor Swan. The game begins, and it feels just like old times—until the next morning, when Lady Partridge is found hanging, dead, from a pear tree.

It quickly becomes clear that in this game the murder will be all too real, and the story is bringing long-hidden secrets to the surface. If the group hopes to win the game and survive until Christmas morning, they will need to face the truth about their history together and who they have become—and what really happened on that fateful night twelve years before.

15 comments:

  1. This Christmas murder mystery sounds kind of awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that this type of plot has been used a lot lately. However, I don't have any objection to that. It makes a difference how the author handles it. This is a book I would try out if I ran into it, but not actively seek out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across it at the library and decided to try it. It suited me. Hope you enjoy if you decide to read it. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yesterday, later in the day, I discovered that my husband had put this book on our Amazon wish list in early November. So I may be reading sooner than I thought (after he does or maybe for next Christmas).

      Delete
  3. This is a 2nd response to your reply, the first time I did not get my google Id in and it disappeared, so it may be waiting somewhere.... anyway, Yesterday after I commented I found that my husband had put this book on the wishlist in early November, so something about it appealed to him. Thus I may be reading it sooner than I thought, if he gets it. Maybe for next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, yes, I noticed the comment listed as 'Anonymous'. Those are allowed here, but I have things set so that I have to approve all comments after a certain period of time. Anyway, sounds like you and your husband have some similar tastes in books. My husband and I don't overlap much in our reading, but occasionally. If you guys get it, hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. How interesting...I think I will look into this book. You always find some good books with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I do like a good 'twisty' mystery. And some of the descriptions just reach out to me and say 'READ ME!' - ha!

      Delete
  5. Oh this sounds fun and anything with shades of Agatha Christie automatically sells me! On a side note Christie made her Christmas mystery especially bloody at a family member's (BIL maybe?) request so this is kind of fitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Katherine - don't think I ever heard that about the 'bloody' request. This one reminded me of some Christie books, but, as I said, more gory.

      Delete
  6. Ha ha. I just saw a headline in a book magazine that said, "Sick of all the Christmas cheer? Seek refuge in one of these holiday mysteries." Made me laugh because that's TOTALLY me :) This one sounds good. I hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I found it at my local library and I hadn't heard of it either. It kind of 'jumped' into my hands. Don't books do that? LOL

      Delete
  7. Oh I love the sound of this one! I've been really into Christmas settings recently but my books are more women's fiction. I could use some thrills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are thrills here for sure. Hope you can find it and check it out!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!