.

.

Monday, January 22, 2024

The Goddess of Shipwrecked Sailors by Skye Alexander

The Goddess of Shipwrecked Sailors by Skye Alexander

First Paragraphs:

After driving for seven hours, the four musicians arrived at Matthew Gardner's home on the most fashionable street in Salem, Massachusetts, a three-hundred-year-old town known for its seafaring history, Nathanial Hawthorne, and hanging women suspected of witchcraft.  Lizzie eyed the grand boulevard and the elegant eighteenth-and nineteenth-century mansions that lined both sides of it.

'How very pretty,' she said.

Candles burned in the windows of the Gardners' handsome three-story Georgian house.  An electrified Moravian star illuminated the front portico.  In the yard, an evergreen tree strung with chains of popcorn and cranberries offered food for the birds.  Despite temperatures in the low teens, a group of carolers, bundled up against the cold, strolled from house to house, celebrating the holiday with joyful voices.

My Thoughts:

I  loved  this 3rd entry into the Lizzie Crane mystery series, written by Skye Alexander.  The timeframe is again the mid-1920's and Lizzie and her friends, Melody, Sidney, and Bert (also known as The Troubadours) are hired to provide entertainment during the '12 Days of Christmas' for the Gardner family and their guests.  The setting is Salem, Massachusetts in this book and I really enjoyed all the information about this famous Massachusetts area.  All begins well, but soon there is a dead body and a cousin that Lizzie didn't know she had who might or might not be someone she'd like to know.  The body is found near her 'new' cousin's tavern and you can add theft, a missing goddess, and secret tunnels under the streets of Salem.  These were used long ago in Salem's shipping days to smuggle goods.  Could they still be in use?  Hmmm....it's possible.

Salem's history has been well researched by the author and she includes lots of things you might have known, but there are likely more that will be new to you.  As I said, I loved it and am happy to report that #4 in the series is in the works.  The author shared a guest post with me last week here.  My conclusion - try this series, bet you'll like it!        

Blurb:

December 1925: Salem, Massachusetts

When Matthew Gardner, the heir to a shipping fortune, hires New York jazz singer Lizzie Crane and her band to perform during the Christmas holidays, she has high hopes that this prestigious event will foster their career and bring them riches and recognition. She’s also eager to reconnect with a handsome man from one of Boston’s most esteemed families, whom she met at an earlier visit to Massachusetts.

But the evening the musicians arrive in historic Salem to begin their engagement, police discover the body of a man near a tavern owned by Lizzie’s cousin––a cousin she even didn’t know she had until Christmas Eve. In the dead man’s pocket is a cryptic letter addressed to Gardner. To compound her dismay, she also learns that her host plans to marry his daughter to the man Lizzie wants for herself.

Soon Lizzie’s caught in the middle of a high-stakes feud between her cousin and her employer over a mysterious lady. When she digs deeper into their conflict, she discovers its roots are deep and bitter: her cousin’s father crewed on one of Gardner’s grandfather’s ships that sunk during a storm in 1868. As she struggles to piece together the puzzle and find the lady at its center, Lizzie becomes a pawn in each man’s deadly game for money and revenge.

12 comments:

  1. The 1920's were such an interesting time and the Salem setting sounds very appealing to me. I love that cover too. I am glad you enjoyed The Goddess of Shipwrecked Sailors, Kay. I will have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I think you'd like the characters and the stories. Hope you'll try it!

      Delete
  2. I love any story set in Salem. It is so mysterious for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Nasreen. Lots of interesting things happened in Salem. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by the Salem setting and time period. I haven't heard of this series yet. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I do remember seeing this series on your blog a while ago!

      Delete
  4. Sounds good. We lived outside of Boston years ago for a short time. Went thru Salem but did not stop. The whole area has a "spooky" vibe to me. So much history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I don't think I knew you guys lived in that area. We visited Boston a few years ago, but didn't make it to Salem. Maybe one day.

      Delete
  5. I visited Salem quite a few years ago but loved it. Was only there for an afternoon but would love to go back. I think I need to read this book and at least travel there via the pages. Sounds like such a fun series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it is a fun series. Hope you get to try it some time.

      Delete
  6. I love mysteries set in the 1920s and I love mysteries set in Salem so I absolutely need to add this series to my TBR. It sounds like one I'd love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I think you would like this series. It's a fun one.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!