.

.

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Holmes, Marple & Poe by James Patterson and Brian Sitts

Holmes, Marple & Poe by James Patterson and Brian Sitts

First Paragraph(s):

Last year

The vacant industrial space that Realtor Gretchen Wik was trying to unload was located in a recently gentrified Brooklyn neighborhood called Bushwick.  The area was becoming trendier by the month, but this particular building was cold and dead--and apparently unsellable.  

Gretchen had been sitting at her sales table on the first floor since noon, tapping her nails while she stared out through a grime-coated window.  In five hours, she had not been visited by a single prospect.

The property consisted of nine thousand square feet on two levels.  But it was run-down and needed a lot of work.  At this point Gretchen felt like the worn wood floors and flaking brick walls were mocking her.  She checked her watch.  In exactly two minutes, her open house would officially be a bust.

Then she heard the front door open.  

My Thoughts:

I think I mentioned when I included this book in a recent 'waiting on' post that it had been a long time since I've read a Patterson book.  And I've not ever read anything by his co-writer, Brian Sitts.  Once upon a time, there were several Patterson series that I sort of kept up with, but time passed and other series took their places.  I did enjoy reading The Women's Murder Club and Alex Cross and Michael Bennett books.  I was curious about this one mostly because of the title, which mentions three of the protagonists - Holmes, Marple, and Poe.  So, how did I fare?

It was a quick read.  The story was fast paced.  The three, Brendan Holmes, Margaret Marple, and Auguste Poe are private detectives and work together.  The fourth main character is Helene Grey and she's a NYPD detective.  She comes across them during an investigation and then our story progresses.  Each of the detectives has a bit of their namesake sleuth about them, but we honestly don't find out too much about any of them.  There are several cases in the story, but not much character development or not yet maybe.  This is the first book in what I imagine might be a series.  Don't know.

I thought the whole book was OK-ish.  I wasn't overwhelmed with love though.  Short chapters.  Quickly moving from place to place.  I didn't completely approve of the update to our sleuths.  Honestly, I just think I wasn't a good match for the book.  I finished it and thought - well, what next?  Will I read another book if this is a series?  Probably not.  If you've tried this one, let me know what you thought.  Many others are writing glowing reviews, so this was just my experience.  Yours could be completely different.  

Blurb:

Crime! Murder! Who are you going to call?

In New York City, three intriguing, smart, and stylish private investigators open Holmes, Marple & Poe Investigations. Who are these detectives with famous names and mysterious, untraceable pasts?

Brendan Holmes—The Brain: Identifies suspects via deduction and logic.

Margaret Marple—The Eyes: Possesses powers of observation too often underestimated.

Auguste Poe—The Muscle: Chases down every lead no matter how dangerous or dark.

The agency’s daring methodology and headline-making solves attract the attention of NYPD Detective Helene Grey. Her solo investigation into her three unknowable competitors will delight mystery fans.

23 comments:

  1. Interesting, Kay. I keep seeing ads for this on Facebook, along with the new Tess Gerritsen, The Spy Coast, which also takes my fancy. You seem a little 'meh' about Holmes, Marple and Poe and if I'm honest I'm not a massive Patterson fan. I think the new Gerritsen holds a bit more promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have THE SPY COAST on my Kindle too, but I haven't tried it yet. It does seem like a different direction for her, but I'm planning on reading it before long. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the Patterson book. Just don't think it will be a favorite of mine. :-)

      Delete
  2. It's too bad this one wasn't better. It has a fun premise. But I've heard from other fans of Patterson that his co-authored books can be more miss than hit. This one probably would have been better if he'd done more of the actual writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made this one a bit of a disappointment for me. However, I'm also trying to think if I've read any of his co-authored books. Probably have. Ah well. As I said, not every book is going to suit every reader. And it was indeed a fun premise.

      Delete
  3. It's been ages since I last read anything by Patterson and I haven't read anything by Brian Sitts. I do remember Patterson likes using short chapters. It's too bad this wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I always hesitate to give a 'meh'-type review. However, that's how I felt about this one. Not every book is going to be a win for us, right? I just usually stop reading those that don't work for me and I kept going because I did want to see how it ended.

      Delete
  4. Well glad to get your take on it. I thought it might be a fun book for the book club but all checked out etc so moved it to the bottom of the list. Will have to revisit it next year or read it first and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, don't want to discourage you from considering this one for the group. It was just my take and I may have had too many expectations or something. Or just not been in the right mood. Have no doubt there are a jillion holds on it at the library.

      Delete
  5. A new story for me. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, thanks for the info about The Spy Coast. I have really liked the Patterson books that I've read in the past. However, I think I was just surprised that this one didn't work better for me. That happens at times, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I did not check to see if I was "anonymous". That last comment was me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I don't think I got another comment before yours. You're welcome to repeat what you said originally. :-)

      Delete
  8. Let's see if I can remember what I wrote.

    I am glad you reviewed this book. I had not heard of it and I probably would have rejected it just because I don't read Patterson any more. I might have been mildly interested in modernized versions of vintage mystery characters (sort of). So it was good to get your opinion.

    It does sound like a good book for a group to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I agree that it might be a good book discussion pick. I think there would be varied opinions and that often makes for the most interesting discussions. :-)

      Delete
  9. Must be hard to combine those main characters into one book and have it come out to the liking of fans of each of them. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would agree. I think many have loved it. Just wasn't my cup of tea - ha!

      Delete
  10. I wonder if the James Patterson (solo) books are different from the James Patterson (with) books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know. I will say that many of the ones I've read were quite a while ago and so he was writing solo. He has helped many authors to get their careers going well and then they have gone on to write solo books and series. I commend him for that. This one was just not for me, but it would have been hard to update those characters to suit all. ;-)

      Delete
  11. I haven't read Patterson but I like how he helps indie bookstores. The investigators seem like a formidable trio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a fan of how he helps in lots of ways as well. They are a formidable trio for sure. Lots of people have liked the book.

      Delete
  12. I'm bummed that we don't get to learn a lot about the characters considering who they're based on. I may check this one out from the library at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say to try it. This was just my experience - ha! It's possible that more about the characters will come out in future books if this is planned as a series.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!