.

.

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Waiting on Wednesday - Think Twice

 


'Waiting on Wednesday' is an event where I feature an upcoming book that I am extra excited about.  I used to do this in the past and am making it a priority to do again.  Seriously, who among us doesn't have a book or two or twenty that we are excited about reading?  Plus, it lets us 'spread the word' about authors and series that we personally enjoy. 

The book I'm featuring this week is another series book that has been a long time in coming.  It's kind of interesting that several books that are grabbing my attention are ones where authors are adding to mystery series after a long gap.  I have truly missed a bunch of the characters that populate these featured books.  You're probably thinking - well, Kay, what's the book?  Ha!  OK, I'll tell you.  It's the 12th book in Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series and it's called Think Twice.  The last Myron book was written by Coben in 2016.  So, an eight-year gap.  Whew!  Myron is a sports agent that also is a retired pro basketball player.  And he tends to get into the middle of murder situations.  I have read most of this series and am delighted to see Myron and his friend, Win, sleuthing again.  By the way, the first book in the series was Deal Breaker and it came out in 1995.  



Think Twice

by Harlan Coben

Publication Date:  May 14th

A man presumed dead is suddenly wanted for murder in this thriller of secrets, lies, and dangerous conspiracies that threaten to cover up the truth.

 Three years ago, sports agent Myron Bolitar gave a eulogy at the funeral of his client, renowned basketball coach Greg Downing. Myron and Greg had history: initially as deeply personal rivals, and later as unexpected business associates. Myron made peace and moved on – until now, when twofederal agents walked into his office, demanding to know where Greg Downing is.

According to the agents, Greg is still alive—and has been placed at the scene of a double homicide, making him their main suspect. Shocked, Myron needs answers.

Myron and Win, longtime friends and colleagues, set out to find the truth, but the more they discover about Greg, the more dangerous their world becomes. Secrets, lies, and a murderous conspiracy that stretches back into the past churn at the heart of Harlan Coben's blistering new novel.

20 comments:

  1. I almost hate to admit it but I haven't read Coben. I'm intrigued by the synopsis. I wonder if I could jump in with this book. Thanks for sharing.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, we can't read all the authors can we? Even the ones that appear on the bestseller lists all the time. As to whether you could jump in, probably. Most authors seem to provide some backstory.

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoy it Kay. 8 years is a long while since his last one in the series. So he must have had a plot he wanted to share. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that Coben must have had a story about Myron that he wanted to share. As I said, it's been interesting to see how many authors are revisiting these older series. I'm all in for it, but it's curious.

      Delete
  3. Wow, another long gap! But a very interesting trend. Hope you enjoy this one, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I do too, Angela. I did like the previous books a lot.

      Delete
  4. Somehow I've never read anything by Harlen Coben even though I own several of his books. That's a seriously long gap so that alone has me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coben has written a lot of books and more than one series. I ran across Myron and Win early in this one and enjoyed a different sort of sleuth. In intervening years, this author has written a bunch of standalone books and had many adapted for TV. Will be glad to hear what these series characters have been up to.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any of the books in this series, though I have read a few books by Coben. I've got The Match on my TBR list. Hope this one turns out to be as good a read as his others. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we'll see how it goes here. Coben kind of went away from series writing and has done standalone type books almost exclusively. Guess he a little bit more he wanted to say about Myron and Win.

      Delete
  6. It's been a LONG time since I've read anything by Coben. Maybe 16 years? I keep meaning to read Win, which came out in 2021 but never got around to it. It's a great series and it'd be fun to go back and read all of them back-to-back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Les. It has been a long time for me too and I also meant to read Win - never did. We'll see how this one goes. I've been tempted to go back and read them all, but again, we'll see. LOL

      Delete
  7. I've only read one book by Harlan Coben, but this one sounds interesting. For some reason, I'm always attracted to books that have this concern for whether or not a person is dead.
    In fact, the book I'm reading now has had this possibility come up about half way through, and I wasn't even considering this twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping this is a good one, Jenclair. Yes, I'm also intrigued by the 'is the person really dead' storyline. We shall see. LOL

      Delete
  8. Harlan Coben writes an intense thriller. I have read a few of his stand alones, but not this series. I hope you enjoy this one when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Wendy. I have read a few of his standalones, but most of the Coben books I've read are in this particular series. :-)

      Delete
  9. I used to read an occasional Harlan Coben book. I found his characters to be completely real and completely believable. I hope this is a book you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the first book in the Myron Bolitar series but I read it in 2016, after it had been sitting on my shelves for years. I liked the writing but it was a little over the top, and I did not read any more in the series. Maybe someday I will. I am not interested in any of the stand alone books except maybe Tell No One, because we saw that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Myron and Win hit me just right when I started Coben's series. And, as I shared, with him revisiting the characters, I'm interested in what he has in store for them after a bit of time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!