.

.

Friday, March 29, 2024

The Unquiet Bones by Loreth Anne White

The Unquiet Bones by Loreth Anne White

First Paragraph(s):

A steady rain falls as Benjamin and Raphael Duvalier work their excavator alongside a dark lake on the misted flanks of Hemlock Mountain.  The brothers are digging up the concrete foundation of an old and tiny wooden A-frame chapel.  The chapel is located at the Hemlock Ski Resort area base and is being moved higher into the alpine to make way for an expansion.  It's barely dawn, and the temperature hovers around freezing.  Behind them the forest creeps down the mountain and wraiths of mist finger between the trees.  Empty lift chairs hang motionless on cables that disappear into the low clouds.  

My Thoughts:

The Unquiet Bones is the first book I've read by Loreth Anne White.  I have been aware of her books, but just never sampled one.  I got a nudge to try this one from the review that Lesa Holstine published on her blog here.  By the way, if you've not checked out Lesa's blog, Lesa's Book Critiques, I highly recommend it.  She's a now-retired librarian and she write a bunch of reviews for various places, including Library Journal.

This is the story of the discovery of bones buried beneath a structure in the woods and they have been there for a long time.  The investigator, Jane Munro, is at a complicated place in life.  She's recently been assigned to a cold case squad because of difficulties personally.  What was supposed to be a more 'quiet' job very quickly ramps up because of this case.  Two missing teens from long ago, families that have never had answers, and a group of friends that were also teens at the time and who are now well-known older adults complicate the investigation.  The author tells things from various points of view and I followed along guessing all the way.  Was I correct in my guesses?  Partly, but not completely.  I did enjoy this one and will plan to try others by this author.  Have you read any of her books?   

Blurb:

When human bones are found beneath an old chapel in the woods, evidence suggests the remains could be linked to the decades-old case of missing teen Annalise Jansen.

Homicide detective Jane Munro—pregnant and acutely attuned to the preciousness of life—hopes the grim discovery will finally bring closure to the girl’s family. But for a group of Annalise’s old friends, once dubbed the Shoreview Six by the media, it threatens to expose a terrible pledge made on an autumn night forty-seven years ago.

The friends are now highly respected, affluent members of their communities, and none of them ever expected the dark chapter in their past to resurface. But as Jane and forensic anthropologist Dr. Ella Quinn peel back the layers of secrets, the group begins to fracture. Will one cave? Will they turn on each other?

The investigation takes a sharp turn when Jane discovers a second body—that of the boy long blamed for Annalise’s disappearance. As the bones tell their story, the group learns just how far each will go to guard their own truth.

15 comments:

  1. I've read several books by Loreth Anne White and really enjoyed them! A Dark Lure, In The Barren Ground and In The Dark are the three I enjoyed the most. Can't wait to read this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, so glad to hear that this author is one that you like as well. And thanks also for giving some suggestions for future reading by her. I'll definitely follow up on these three.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of her books but now I want to! This one sounds really good and I've been reading or wanting to read more police procedurals lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, this one is very good and while I don't know whether she will have a follow-up to this story, I wouldn't be surprised. Also, note that Lark gave some other suggestions that she has enjoyed by the author as well.

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to try one of her books. Thanks for sharing!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had her on my list of authors to try as well. Glad I picked this one.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really good, Kay. An unknown author to me but I like the 'mountains' and 'forest' theme that seems to be there. Always up for a wild America type story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, Cath. The setting is in northwestern Canada. As I said, I'll be looking at what other books this author has published that I might like. Hope you are doing OK. Been thinking of you. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this author, but this does sound intriguing! It's always nice when the author can surprise us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I enjoyed this one and will be looking for others by her that I might try. :-)

      Delete
  6. Another book I'll have to try based on your rec, Kay. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a several of Loreth Ann White's books and always found them fast paced and enjoyable. She's not Ann Cleeves or Val Diarmid, but I've liked her characters and suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about this one, Jenclair. Oh and watch for my 'waiting on' post for this coming week - might feature Ann Cleeves. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I have wanted to read something by this author, because she is Canadian, and I have one book by her, In the Dark. This one sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard from several people that she has several good books. Plan to try them as I can.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!