.

.

Tuesday, July 9, 2024

An early July update...



Hello there, book friends!  Hope you are having a good start to July and enjoying whatever weather you are experiencing.  We have been having the hot, hots, but Texas has also had the visit from Hurricane Beryl.  The forecast went back and forth as to what impacts Central Texas might have, but our area was on the 'dry' side and so not much here.  The Gulf Coast however was inundated with rain, flooding, wind, etc., and this was a storm that arrived as a Level 1.  Kind of gives you a sense of what a Level 5 might bring.  Certainly not the first time for this, nor will it be the last.  However, I hope that all get the help they need and can recover soon.  I do know that there are several of our blogging friends that live in that area and I am thinking about them.

Another area to be thinking about is pictured above.  Ruidoso, New Mexico has been a favorite vacation spot of ours for many years.  I used a Ruidoso area picture as my header photo for a long time.  Anyway, they have experienced wildfires in the last few weeks.  Two fires started on June 17th and the whole area was under mandatory evacuation.  Tens of thousands of acres were burned and the fire came very, very close to the town itself including the central part.  Then there were heavy thunderstorms that dropped a lot of rain very quickly.  This helped the fires, but there was a lot of flash flooding and that was in the central part of town.  We have friends who live there and they evacuated to Roswell for over a week.  Their house was not burned, but many, many more were.  I know there are other parts of the country that experience these fires, people in California especially.  So, so sad.  The whole region is quite popular with tourists in the summer, but it's been complicated whether this is the best time for people to visit or not.  We have chosen 'not' for this year.

We had a quiet July 4th.  My husband played golf and I just enjoyed a 'reading day'.  Other family were on trips and so we didn't get together with anyone.  We'll be taking a vacation later in the summer hopefully and possibly also in late fall.  We shall see.  Reading is good.  I had a great time talking mysteries with my favorite Mystery Book Group and hearing what everyone had been reading as well as discussing Fiona Barton's Local Gone Missing.  There will be another book featuring the protagonist of this one coming out in late August.  I'll probably share that one next week for my 'Waiting On Wednesday' post.  One of the group members was telling me that she had recently read Ruth Ware's first book, In A Dark, Dark Wood, and enjoyed it very much.  She knew that I liked Ruth Ware's writing.  Made me think I might want to reread it and so I've been doing that.  Yes, it's a good one.  Have you tried it?  And Linda Castillo's new Kate Burkholder book, The Burning, came out today.  I shared about anticipating this one here.  Am I excited to try it?  Yes, yes, I am!  Ha!  

Think that's about all I have to share.  I think I mentioned that we would be having some new landscaping done on our yard and that got started last week.  Hopefully, I'll have some finished pictures to share in a few weeks.  What have you been reading lately?  I'd love to hear.  Take care!     

21 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your updates, Kay, and I'm so British that I'm fascinated by your weather. The storm was pretty bad I hear, lot of people very badly affected. And wildfires must be terrifying! Greece has some really bad ones raging at the moment with brutal temps. Makes me realise that although we're not having a great summer we have nothing to complain about.

    I must look up In a Dark, Dark Wood as it sounds like my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both the tropical storm/hurricane and also those wildfires are awful. Very, very scary. We've had fires in our area over the years and also flooding and tornadoes, but it's been a bit of time. I just always try to remind myself to be grateful for each day. Hope you'll think about trying the Ruth Ware book. You might like it!

      Delete
  2. We have one of the larger wildfires in California fairly near to us (the Lake fire). It doesn't look so close but we have learned that fires can change quickly. Air quality has been affected a bit.

    I plan to try something by Ruth Ware. I have The Woman In Cabin 10 on my shelves. Glad to hear that your reading is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, yes, I knew that there were wildfires in your area, but fires can indeed move quickly and change. And you are right about the air quality. It's always something. As to the Ruth Ware books, I'd be interested in what you thought about any of them. They are usually a bit twisty and also a bit scary. LOL

      Delete
  3. I have been thinking of the wildfires in New Mexico and Calif. ugh terrible. Sorry to hear you know those affected in N.M. Such a pretty state too. I'd like to try a Ruth Ware book ... I hear they making a movie of The Woman in Cabin 10 with Keira Knightley .... should be a good one. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, we were really sad to hear about the fires in NM. Yes, it is a pretty state, but they have had a lot of drought too and those forests get very dry and then it doesn't take much. I had not heard about a movie telling the Cabin 10 story. I'll watch for it. And we'll try to stay cool. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about the stormy weather, hurricane, and wildfires. There seem to be extremes just about everywhere right now. Unfortunately, I know all to well the concern over wildfires. Locally, the fires have been on the smaller scale, but I know that isn't the case for other parts of the state. I hope Ruidoso, New Mexico will make it out okay. One of my husband's and my favorite spots in the mountains was threatened by wildfire a few years ago and fortunately was spared, but the surrounding areas weren't so lucky. Whenever we drive up that way, we can still see signs of the damage. Fortunately, there's a lot of new growth too.

    I read and enjoyed In A Dark, Dark Wood too. I am glad it was good in the rereading too!

    I hope you have a good week and month of July, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I know you are familiar with and know about wildfires. Seems like there is always something going on. Ruidoso's fires seem to be controlled at this time, but they are definitely struggling with flash flooding. They keep getting afternoon storms and those burned areas just are 'perfect' for water to rush through. I'm glad to know that you like the Ruth Ware book too. I enjoyed revisiting it. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  5. The extreme weather and wildfires have been something else. I thought about you when Beryl landed. I read In A Dark, Dark Wood several years ago, and the details are fuzzy now. I would love to reread all her books at some point. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your thoughts Diana. We sometimes get effects from the hurricanes and storms that hit the Gulf Coast and other times we do not. It depends on how they spin and if we're on the dry or wet side. Our lakes could use some of the wet. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. I have yet to read a Ruth Ware book. Should make that a goal next year. Currently working on clearing my NG shelf. Take care in all the weather challenges. Fires and flooding are bad. Our summer in the upper midwest hasn't been horrible except for a lot of rain. I think too much is usually as bad as not enough.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might like a book or two by Ruth Ware, Mary. I do understand about focusing on your NG shelf though. And I agree that too much rain is almost as bad as not enough. Wish weather would be perfect, but no. Ha!

      Delete
  7. There's been some scary weather later with all the hurricanes and wild fires! I'm glad you're safe and didn't get pounded by Beryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're glad of that too, Lark. Scary weather indeed!

      Delete
  8. Glad you made it through the hurricane okay. We did, too. My dad is still without power, and his generator just stopped. He's hoping to get that fixed this morning.

    The wildfires in Ruidoso were awful, too.

    I know everything will recover, but it's hard to live in the chaos that ensues when a hurricane or wildfire runs through a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I agree that the chaos is very difficult. Hope your father gets power back soon and gets his generator running. Definitely still thinking about all you guys.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Kay. My dad is hopeful the power will be restored in the next few days.

      Delete
  9. Good to hear from you, Kay. I was wondering if you would get any stormy weather from Beryl. I'm sure a little rain would've been welcome. My heart goes out to those in the Houston area. I know Deb is cleaning up from the impact of the hurricane. :(

    The situation in Ruidoso is also heartbreaking. We have a few fires in Oregon, but nothing close by. I keep an eye on the fire situation in various states (Idaho, Montana, Wyoming) with hopes that all will be okay for our trip in September. One never knows when to plan to travel anymore since fire season starts early and last a long time.

    I read In a Dark, Dark Wood and enjoyed it quite well. I went on to read another (The Woman in Cabin 10) and didn't care for it, so I'm not reading anymore by her.

    I've been reading some lighter novels, but started listening to a thriller of sorts (The House in the Pines by Ana Reyes) the other day. So far, so good. I'm reading (in print) Anna Quindlen's latest, After Annie, which I'm loving. She is one of my favorite authors.

    Happy reding, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les. Yes, we would have loved to have a bit of the rain, but it seemed to be feast or famine as it often is with these serious tropical storms. I hope that wildfires will not affect your September trip. As to reading - I can see that Ruth Ware's books might not be your 'cup of tea' - for the most part anyway. I've heard about The House In The Pines, but have not picked it up as yet. We'll see as time goes by. Yes, I have enjoyed several of Anna Quindlen's book too.

      Delete
  10. It is so hot here but we are about to have a "cold front" with storms later this week. I think it might get down to the high 80s. I loved the first few Ruth Ware books and then really enjoyed Zero Hour. I need to read more by her. I really liked what books I've read by Fiona Barton and need to read the newest one. Happy July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Katherine! Yes, we're hot this week, but the weather people keep talking about some cooler temps next week and maybe some rain. We can use it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!