.

.

Friday, January 5, 2018

Catching Air - Sarah Pekkanen

Catching Air by Sarah Pekkanen


First Paragraph:

Dawn Zukoski was scared of lots of things--spiders, lightning bolts, the way New York cabbies drove--but only once in her life had she known true terror.

My Thoughts:

I've read two or three of Sarah Pekkanen's books over the years.  They are fun for me, especially if I'm a bit distracted by life - like lately.  I rarely say a book is 'light' or 'frothy' or 'brain candy'.  I just don't like those terms and feel that each book has a reader out there and a purpose.  That being said, while Catching Air was not the most complex of stories, it worked perfectly for what I needed it to.  A book that I could read in short spurts.  I liked the setting of Vermont, liked the idea of two related couples running a B&B, liked the fact that the characters changed and learned a bit about themselves over the course of the story.  I related pretty well to Kira, a maker of lists and a worrier.  I'll be reading more of Pekkanen's books - in fact, I read an advance copy of The Ever After, to be published in June.  She also is a co-author with Greer Hendricks of The Wife Between Us, coming out in a week or so.  I hope to read that one soon.

Blurb:

A chance to run a B&B in snowy, remote Vermont—it’s an offer Kira Danner can’t resist after six soul-crushing years of working as a lawyer in Florida. As Kira and her husband, Peter, step into a brand new life, she quells her fears about living with the B&B’s co-owners: Peter’s sexy, irresponsible brother Rand, and Rand’s wife, Alyssa…who is essentially a stranger.

For her part, Alyssa sees taking over the B&B as the latest in a string of adventures. Plus, a quiet place might help her recover from the news that she can’t bear children. But the idyllic town proves to be anything but serene: Within weeks, the sisters-in-law are scrambling to prepare for their first big booking—a winter wedding—and soon a shy, mysterious woman comes to work for them. Dawn Zukoski is hiding something; that much is clear. But what the sisters-in-law don't realize is that Dawn is also hiding from someone…

14 comments:

  1. I really like her books but missed this one somehow. I need to grab a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it if you're able to get a copy.

      Delete
  2. This wasn't my favorite book of hers - that would be Skipping a Beat - but definitely enjoyable. I too have the one she cowrote and am anxious to see how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own SKIPPING A BEAT. Will have to try it soon.

      Delete
  3. I've heard of this author but haven't read any of her books. This one sounds good. I'll have to check it out and her others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've like the two or three I've read so far.

      Delete
  4. I can definitely relate to a worrier character too. I've read and enjoyed a couple of Sarah Pekkanen's books...My next read of hers will be The Wife Between Us. I've heard great things! Happy New Year, Kay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try THE WIFE BETWEEN US too. It looks interesting.

      Delete
  5. Did you read Perfect Neighbors by this author? That was a good read. Light but just kept you hooked. Definitely adding this one to my list. I think I'd enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read THE PERFECT NEIGHBORS and have thought about reading it again at some point. I like the way this author tells a story.

      Delete
  6. I don't know what it is about a Vermont setting, but I really enjoy novels set there--throw in a Bred and Breakfast. This sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that setting too. Very cozy and one of the places that has been mega-cold lately. Cold weather appears in this books too.

      Delete
  7. I’ve heard lots of good things about Wife Between Us. It doesn’t seem like a light read at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing really good things about THE WIFE BETWEEN US too. And I think it is a definite 'change up' for Sara Pekkanen. Not sure if she will continue in that vein or go back to her more 'domestic' fiction.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!