.

.

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Four upcoming books that I'm eager to read...one for each month including November

I want to share four to-be-published books that I'm wishing for in upcoming weeks.  One for each month, including this one.  I'm hoping to read more books than these, but my reading life has to have goals, right?  Ha!  I've read the first book by Nita Prose, read the two standalones that Stacy Willingham has written, and read the first book in Kelley Armstrong's Haven Rock series.  Jess Armstrong's book is a debut.  Fun indeed.  Here's the scoop:

The Mystery Guest by Nina Prose - publishes November 28th

Molly Gray is not like anyone else. With her flair for cleaning and proper etiquette, she has risen through the ranks of the glorious five-star Regency Grand Hotel to become the esteemed Head Maid. But just as her life reaches a pinnacle state of perfection, her world is turned upside down when J. D. Grimthorpe, the world-renowned mystery author, drops dead—very dead—on the hotel’s tearoom floor.

 When Detective Stark, Molly’s old foe, investigates the author’s unexpected demise, it becomes clear that this death was murder most foul. Suspects abound, and everyone wants to know: Who killed J. D. Grimthorpe? Was it Lily, the new Maid-in-Training? Or was it Serena, the author’s secretary? Could Mr. Preston, the hotel’s beloved doorman, be hiding something? And is Molly really as innocent as she seems?

 As the high-profile death threatens the hotel’s pristine reputation, Molly knows she alone holds the key to unlocking the killer’s identity. But that key is buried deep in her past, as long ago, she knew J. D. Grimthorpe. Molly begins to comb her memory for clues, revisiting her childhood and the mysterious Grimthorpe mansion where she and her dearly departed Gran once worked side by side. With the entire hotel under investigation, Molly must solve the mystery posthaste. Because if there’s one thing she knows for sure, it’s that secrets don’t stay buried forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Curse of Penryth Hall by Jess Armstrong - publishes December 5th

After the Great War, American heiress Ruby Vaughn made a life for herself running a rare bookstore alongside her octogenarian employer and house mate in Exeter. She’s always avoided dwelling on the past, even before the war, but it always has a way of finding her. When Ruby is forced to deliver a box of books to a folk healer living deep in the Cornish countryside, she is brought back to the one place she swore she’d never return. A more sensible soul would have delivered the package and left without rehashing old wounds. But no one has ever accused Ruby of being sensible. Thus begins her visit to Penryth Hall.

A foreboding fortress, Penryth Hall is home to Ruby’s once dearest friend, Tamsyn, and her husband, Sir Edward Chenowyth. It’s an unsettling place, and after a more unsettling evening, Ruby is eager to depart. But her plans change when Penryth’s bells ring for the first time in thirty years. Edward is dead; he met a gruesome end in the orchard, and with his death brings whispers of a returned curse. It also brings Ruan Kivell, the person whose books brought her to Cornwall, the one the locals call a Pellar, the man they believe can break the curse. Ruby doesn’t believe in curses—or Pellars—but this is Cornwall and to these villagers the curse is anything but lore, and they believe it will soon claim its next victim: Tamsyn.

To protect her friend, Ruby must work alongside the Pellar to find out what really happened in the orchard that night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only If You're Lucky by Stacy Willingham - publishes January 16th

Lucy Sharpe is larger than life. Magnetic, addictive. Bold and dangerous. Especially for Margot, who meets Lucy at the end of their freshman year at a liberal arts college in South Carolina. Margot is the shy one, the careful one, always the sidekick and never the center of attention. But when Lucy singles her out at the end of the year, a year Margot spent studying and playing it safe, and asks her to room together, something in Margot can't say no—something daring, or starved, or maybe even envious.

And so Margot finds herself living in an off-campus house with three other girls, Lucy, the ringleader; Sloane, the sarcastic one; and Nicole, the nice one, the three of them opposites but also deeply intertwined. It's a year that finds Margot finally coming out of the shell she's been in since the end of high school, when her best friend Eliza died three weeks after graduation. Margot and Lucy have become the closest of friends, but by the middle of their sophomore year, one of the fraternity boys from the house next door has been brutally murdered... and Lucy Sharpe is missing without a trace.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Boy Who Cried Bear by Kelley Armstrong - publishes February 20th

Haven’s Rock is a well-hidden town surrounded by forest. And it’s supposed to be, being that it’s a refuge for those who need to disappear. Detective Casey Duncan and her husband, Sheriff Eric Dalton already feel at home in their new town, which reminds them of where they first met in Rockton. And while they know how to navigate the woods and its various dangers, other residents don’t. Which is why people aren't allowed to wander off alone.

When Max, the town’s youngest resident—taught to track animals by Eric—fears a bear is stalking a hiking party, alarms are raised. Even stranger, the ten-year-old swears the bear had human eyes. Casey and Eric know the dangers a bear can present, so they’re taking it seriously. But odd occurrences are happening all around them, and when a dead body turns up, they’re not sure what they’re up against.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do any of these appeal to you?  Do tell...

22 comments:

  1. After enjoying The Maid so much, Nita Prose's The Mystery Guest certainly appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to be anonymous, blast it! I can usually force Google/Blogger to see the error of its ways by toggling my ad blocker, but not tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, sorry about your 'anonymous' troubles. You could just say 'and this is Cathy' at the end of the comment - ha! Yes, I'm quite looking forward to another 'Molly the Maid' story again.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, I'll certainly be reading The Mystery Guest at some stage as I really liked The Maid. I also like sound of The Curse of Penryth Hall as I always take notice of books set in Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I'm not surprised that the Penryth Hall book would appeal to you. Let us know if this 'debut' author got Cornwall 'correct' - ha! I quite liked 'The Maid' as well.

      Delete
  4. The Mystery Guest sounds appealing... both my mother and sister are already on the library hold list. Hope you get a chance to read and enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to another 'Molly the Maid' story. I wasn't sure I would like it so much when I first started it, but it definitely grew on me. And, yes, that's the plan to try all of these.

      Delete
  5. I'm eager to read The Mystery Guest, but I really can't wait to read The Boy Who Cried Bear! I love Armstrong's Rockton series, and am so happy she's continuing to write about Casey and Eric. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Lark. I have loved the whole Rockton series and was so happy that she is continuing with the characters and a bit of a different slant. Hope this new one is good - bet it will be.

      Delete
  6. The Willingham and Armstrong books are on my radar!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Kelley Armstrong in 2024. It is on my list of resolutions! I also want t or read the Nita Prose. That looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, Kelley Armstrong's books are very good. I love her Rockton series and the Haven's Rock series follows that one. There aren't a jillion books in those series, so it's definitely one that you could tackle. The Nita Prose book was fun, though I wasn't sure if I would like it at first.

      Delete
  8. I would have liked to read Nita Prose book but with a January date the book is already archived on Netgalley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe a copy will come along that you can try. Thanks for stopping by, Mystica!

      Delete
  9. ALL of these appeal to me. I read THE MAID back when it came out, but when we discussed it at our last book club, I realized how little I remembered it. So, I'm going to re-read THE MAID before going on to THE MYSTERY GUEST. I have an e-ARC of it, so it's just sitting there waiting for me.

    I enjoyed the one book I read by Willingham, so I definitely want to read more by her. The Armstrong debut sounds excellent!

    I just finished listening to MURDER AT HAVEN'S ROCK. Of course, I loved it because I love the Rockton series. I'm excited for more HR books. I've really been enjoying them on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that several of these appeal to you, Susan! I thought I remembered that 'Rockton' was a favorite of yours. Yes, the audio is quite good for those. I'm really excited about all four of these and I'll probably have more that I'll share as 'waiting on'. I keep checking out what's coming....ha!

      Delete
  10. I am looking forward to all of these too, especially Nita Prose's new one. I hope you enjoy them when you read them, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm very much looking forward to a new 'Molly the Maid' book!

      Delete
  11. Oh yes. Those a appeal to me. A couple of good possibilities for book club...

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of these sound like good reads but I'd probably pick up the Curse book first. That cover is so beautiful! I haven't read any of these authors before so can't wait to hear what you think of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my list to read them all. We'll see how successful I am. I always have big plans - ha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!