.

.

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Midnight by Amy McCulloch

Midnight by Amy McCulloch

First Paragraph(s):

I watch as he scampers down the gangway, his fists clenched by his side.  He avoids catching the eye of the distracted officer at the door to the ship, racing past the long line of passengers waiting to check in for their voyage of a lifetime.

He looks so small through my binoculars.  A tiny slip of a man.  I wait, but the woman doesn't come after him.  No matter.  I had planned for that.  Besides, this way is easier.

I've been watching them, waiting, biding my time.  Every moment confirms what I already knew: these two deserve everything that's coming at them.

My Thoughts:

I love books set in unusual locations, especially places that I know I'll likely not ever visit.  Antarctica is one of these and I've read several books set there.  I think this might be the first one I've read that uses a voyage to Antarctica in the storyline though.  Wow!  I'm not a cruise-taking person and won't ever be.  I have bad motion sickness tendencies and, in order to not have that, I would have to be drugged to the point of sleeping all the time.  Doesn't sound fun.  I do like to read about ocean voyages and, as I said, Antarctica.  

I've read the previous book by Amy McCulloch, Breathless, and it was set in the Himalayas and dealt with mountain climbing and murder.  Same goes here.  The murder part.  Olivia was raised by a father who was a gifted sailor and learned how to take care of herself on the water.  Her father died accidentally when she was in her teens and now Olivia is an almost-actuary who gets a chance to accompany her boyfriend, an art dealer, on a trip to Antarctica.  The setting will be key to showing and selling the art of a man who used this continent for inspiration in creating his pieces.  They get on the ship and then things start happening - bad things.  Olivia feels like she's being watched.  And she is.  There are a lot of descriptions of the environment and what is happening to the icebergs.  Very interesting indeed.  The thrills were many, though I did get a little irritated with some of Olivia's decisions (or non-decisions).  An enjoyable book.  I'll be watching for Amy McCulloch's next book and curious about where she will take us.     

Blurb:

THE SUN NEVER SETS AND THIS KILLER NEVER SLEEPS

Olivia Campbell has always dreamed of spending a sunlit night on the frigid Antarctic continent. But as an actuary who assesses risk for a living, she never imagined she would have the chance. So when her career takes an unexpected detour, and her boyfriend—a high-powered art dealer with a taste for the finer things in life—decides to stage an ostentatious, career-making auction on a luxury liner to Antarctica, Olivia is thrilled. That is, until things start to feel a bit strange. In addition to the scores of wealthy patrons and potential buyers, they'll also be traveling alongside a small group of beleaguered employees of Pioneer Adventures—the company responsible for managing the ship—and their charismatic, divisive CEO.

When the first bodies are discovered, it's easy enough for Olivia to write it off as a terrible accident. But as the situation heats up and the temperatures continue to plummet, she begins to wonder whether she might have booked a one-way ticket to her own demise.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds good! Thanks for telling us about it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it, Mary. Might be good on audio, but I read it on my Kindle.

      Delete
  2. It's funny there's a travel doc. presenter on UK who goes on cruises and although it's not really my thing, we always watch, and the current two-parter is a cruise in the Antarctic. You talking about motion sickness, the bit from Tasmania to Antarctica, she spent in bed, didn't say why but it was quite clear it was pretty rough and she suffered. I would hate that. However, I do like the sound of the two books you talk about here, Kay, especially the mountaineering one, and will look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Cath. Yes, there are bits of the voyage detailed in the book where the storms make everything very rough. Seems that the path they took to Antarctica is sometimes smooth and often not. Hope you'll let me know what you think if you read either of these. And Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  3. What an awesome setting! Both the cruise and Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun with the storyline and the setting!

      Delete
  4. I've only been on a river cruise, and really have no desire to go on one of those huge cruise ships. This sounds like a good mystery. I may have to give both a try since it's fun to get in on a series from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that river cruise you took - with your Mom, right? You might like these books, though they are standalones, not series books.

      Delete
  5. I love extreme settings in books...and Antarctica is one of the best. Especially for a murder myster. I'm looking forward to reading this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, I think you might like this one. Hope you do if you get to read it.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like Olivia is on a pretty hellish cruise. I hope to take a small voyage to Alaska someday. Not sure I'll get to Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your aim to visit Alaska, Susan. Yes, this book's cruise to Antarctica is not one that really anybody would want to take. LOL

      Delete
  7. This sounds like an author I really need to try! I like the sound of this one.
    PS you asked what the Feb Agatha Christie was - It's The Secret Adversary and March's is The Mystery of the Blue Train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I have enjoyed both this author's books. She is very adept at extreme settings. OK, it's been a really long time since I've read either of those Christie books. I'll look forward to what you say about them.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like a great read! Books and/or TV shows are always the best option whenever we want an armchair travel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds intriguing. The author's name rings a bell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's written two adult standalone books. This one and another entitled BREATHLESS. I think she wrote some YA books before this.

      Delete
  10. The setting was amazing. Yep, I wanted to scream at Olivia a few times to please follow up when she came across an important detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the setting and, yes, Olivia was one of those protagonists who I wanted to 'instruct' in how to do things - ha!

      Delete
  11. I am glad you reviewed this. (And I thought I had already commented.) The setting pretty much guarantees I will read it. Don't know why I am so enamored of fiction about Antarctica but I guess it is similar to my attraction to the Rockton series. Looking forward to reading it when I get a copy someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who enjoys these unique settings - like Antarctica. And I agree about the Rockton series. As I said above, not a place I'll ever visit, but I love reading about it.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!