.

.

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Waiting on Wednesday - The Grey Wolf

'Waiting on Wednesday' is an event that I used to take part in weekly.  I'm going to try to do this again in upcoming days and will highlight books that I'm extra excited about.  I was highlighting four books at a time monthly, but I think a weekly event will work better for me.  The first book I'll mention will not be published until October, but I always get excited for a new Louise Penny book featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache.  I will say that a couple of the later books in this series have not been my favorites.  Here's hoping that this one will hit just the right spot with me because I don't plan to ever stop reading this series.  This week I'm waiting on:



The Grey Wolf

by Louise Penny

Publication Date: October 29th

Relentless phone calls interrupt the peace of a warm August morning in Three Pines. Though the tiny Québec village is impossible to find on any map, someone has managed to track down Armand Gamache, head of homicide at the Sûreté, as he sits with his wife in their back garden. Reine-Marie watches with increasing unease as her husband refuses to pick up, though he clearly knows who is on the other end. When he finally answers, his rage shatters the calm of their quiet Sunday morning.

That's only the first in a sequence of strange events that begin THE GREY WOLF, the nineteenth novel in Louise Penny's #1 New York Times-bestselling series. A missing coat, an intruder alarm, a note for Gamache reading "this might interest you", a puzzling scrap of paper with a mysterious list—and then a murder. All propel Chief Inspector Gamache and his team toward a terrible realization. Something much more sinister than any one murder or any one case is fast approaching.

Armand Gamache, Jean-Guy Beauvoir, his son-in-law and second in command, and Inspector Isabelle Lacoste can only trust each other, as old friends begin to act like enemies, and long-time enemies appear to be friends. Determined to track down the threat before it becomes a reality, their pursuit takes them across Québec and across borders. Their hunt grows increasingly desperate, even frantic, as the enormity of the creature they’re chasing becomes clear. If they fail the devastating consequences would reach into the largest of cities and the smallest of villages.

Including Three Pines.

21 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds rather good, Kay! I'm way behind with this series and need to do some catching up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these series that we like do tend to get longer and longer. I've found I can only stay caught up with a few. Sadly, some of the other are still waiting for me to catch up - maybe.

      Delete
  2. I really need to get back to this series. I've only read to #5. I hope you love this new one when you get to read it!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I do hope so too. I love reading mystery series books, but keeping up with the series is tough. I can only handle a few at a time because other books will keep 'calling' to me - ha!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear there's another book coming. I've loved this series and was holding off on reading the previous book because I was scared it was done! I've gotten my dad and stepmom hooked on it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, yes, there is another book. I think it's coming out a little later than usual, but will still publish in 2024. Great that you got your dad and stepmom 'hooked' - ha!

      Delete
  4. I love to see what books people are eager to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure why I am “anonymous” today! This is Deb Nance at Readerbuzz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm not sure why the 'anonymous' either. Seems like comment issues have been happening all over these days. Anyway, thanks and I too enjoy hearing about what others are excited about reading. :-)

      Delete
  6. I didn't read the blurb since I like to go into these books cold, but I can't wait for this new release! I saw that someone was reading it (on Goodreads) and got jealous that they have the ARC. I'm glad she's still writing these, and I'm hoping that Deborah Crombie will have a new one out sometime soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Les. And I think that Crombie will have another out at some point, but she is a slower writer. Maybe this year or early next?

      Delete
  7. Someday! That's my dream. Haha. I do want to start this series from the beginning. I loved the one book I've read in the series. I hope you enjoy The Grey Wolf when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. Yes, like you, I've got series that I'd love to start from the beginning. I said above how I've found there are only so many series that I can stay current on. Others have fallen by the wayside and there are some that I'd love to begin at some point. I need to read faster - ha!

      Delete
  8. Finally another book in the series! I have been checking and did find this out a couple of weeks ago. We did get a couple of the new "girls" hooked on this series in book club too, they reported last meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that Louise Penny said she took a year off from writing the new book in this series. Anyway, it's coming out a little later in the year than hers usually come out. Glad there are new 'fans' of the series in the book club!

      Delete
  9. I have not started her popular mystery series but all her books sound quite good. I can see how you'd be excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, since they are set in Canada, you should try them. I will say that this is a true series - meaning that reading from the beginning and in order is probably the best way to experience it. Penny does tend to have overarching themes and stories that carry from book to book.

      Delete
  10. I've only read the first few and while I enjoyed them I kind of let the series drop. I really need to pick it back up. This sounds absolutely fascinating and seriously unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that happening, Katherine. That's what's happened to me with many series. We can only keep up with so many because there are lots and lots of series. You'll get back to it at some point I suspect. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. The only thing I had seen about this book previously was the cover, which I like. I am at about book 12 in the series so have a few more to read first, but I do have copies of them all so hope it won't take me too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this cover is interesting for a Penny book. The actual pictures of the wolves. I bet it won't take you took long and if it does, well, maybe a couple a year and you'll be caught up over time. :-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!