.

.

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Waiting on Wednesday - The Museum Of Lost Quilts

 


'Waiting on Wednesday' is an event where I feature an upcoming book that I am extra excited about.  I used to do this in the past and am making it a priority to do again.  Seriously, who among us doesn't have a book or two or twenty that we are excited about reading?  Plus, it lets us 'spread the word' about authors and series that we personally enjoy.  

This week's highlight is by an author that has been writing for a long time.  Jennifer Chiaverini started her 'Elm Creek Quilt' series back in 1999 and her latest book in the series, featured here, is the 22nd.  I've read all the previous books, but it has been 5 years since the previous book was published and the one before that one was 7 years before that.  She's been writing standalone historical fiction novels that are about women and those have been very successful.  I loved the whole 'Elm Creek' series and so I'm delighted to see a new entry.  Will it be the last?  Perhaps, but a visit with the 'Elm Creek' gang will be so welcome.  Have you read any books by this author? 



The Museum of Lost Quilts

by Jennifer Chiaverini

Publication Date:  April 30th

Jennifer Chiaverini’s beloved and bestselling Elm Creek Quilts series returns with the first Elm Creek Quilts novel since 2019’s The Christmas Boutique.

Summer Sullivan, the youngest founding member of Elm Creek Quilts, has spent the last two years pursuing a master’s degree in history at the University of Chicago. Her unexpected return home to the celebrated quilter’s retreat is met with delight but also concern from her mother, Gwen; her best friend, Sarah; master quilter Sylvia; and her other colleagues—and rightly so. Stymied by writer’s block, Summer hasn’t finished her thesis, and she can’t graduate until she does.

Elm Creek Manor offers respite while Summer struggles to meet her extended deadline. She finds welcome distraction in organizing an exhibit of antique quilts as a fundraiser to renovate Union Hall, the 1863 Greek Revival headquarters of the Waterford Historical Society. But Summer’s research uncovers startling facts about Waterford’s past, prompting unsettling questions about racism, economic injustice, and political corruption within their community, past and present.

As Summer’s work progresses, quilt lovers and history buffs praise the growing collection, but affronted local leaders demand that she remove all references to Waterford’s troubled history. As controversy threatens the exhibit’s success, Summer fears that her pursuit of the truth might cost the Waterford Historical Society their last chance to save Union Hall. Her only hope is to rally the quilting community to her cause.

The Museum of Lost Quilts is a warm and deeply moving story about the power of collective memory. With every fascinating quilt she studies, Summer finds her passion for history renewed—and discovers a promising new future for herself.

26 comments:

  1. I haven't read one of her books for a long long time, although I did enjoy her first 4-5 Elm Creek books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time for me. As I said, 5 years since the last one was published and the one before that was 7 years. So, 12 in all since she was getting them out more frequently. I'm wondering if this is a 'swan song' to these characters since Summer was the youngest of the group. Guess we'll see.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this author but think this sounds good.
    Mary@Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I really liked this series over the years. About a quilting group, but it also has a lot of historical context in the books. The author always brings the past into the story and some of the stories are set in the past primarily.

      Delete
  3. It's been awhile since I last read a book by Jennifer Chiaverini. It was a Christmas themed book and not part of a series. This one sounds like it will be good and I hope you enjoy it when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's good too. As I said, it's been a while. Wondering if she's kind of closing out this series and characters. Wouldn't be surprised.

      Delete
  4. Noooo, I haven't read any of these, nor even heard of the author and series to be honest. It sounds really interesting so I'll go and investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be one you would like, Cath. Includes historical things and also a group that quilt together and there's drama, of course. LOL

      Delete
  5. This author and the books are new to me also. Years ago I did some patching and quilting, just enough to appreciate the art of quilting. I had hoped that the early books would be affordable on Kindle but they are not. I will look for used books online when I am again buying books. I am sure I can find some affordable prices there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I wouldn't be surprised if you can find some of the earlier books at the sales you attend. They are old enough and were quite popular with libraries. I think my current library has all or most of them. My grandmothers both quilted, but I am not gifted in that area. I did and do enjoy reading about it though.

      Delete
  6. I'm impressed that you have read all twenty-two of these. It looks like I have read only one, #3. I wonder why I chose #3? Anyway, I enjoyed it, so that's something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't read this newest one, but according to my journals, I've read all the previous ones. Don't know specifically about #3, but this group and the stories told were interesting to me. I mentioned above that both my grandmothers quilted. I do not, but I can barely sew on a button. LOL

      Delete
  7. I've definitely seen her books around, although it doesn't look like I've read any (at least according to my Goodreads!). It is interesting that there has been such a long break between the last two books, although nice that she's still writing the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I shared above that I'm thinking she is likely winding down the series and giving us an idea of the futures of all the main characters. Which I like. :-)

      Delete
  8. I read the first two books in this series and quite enjoyed them, but I'm seriously behind if she's up to #22 now! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, we've all been there, Lark - ha!

      Delete
  9. Oh. I recognized the name but not the series. She wrote Switchboard Soldiers, which I read. Did you read this? Based on a true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read Switchboard Soldiers or any of this author's standalone historicals. She's written several though and I have no problem believing they are good.

      Delete
  10. Goodness, she's quite prolific! I think I've only read one of her books. Probably the first in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, probably the first book. And, yes, she has been prolific. I am finding that several authors that I've been reading for over 25+ years (and they are still writing) have a lot of books by now.

      Delete
  11. I have not read her books but she seems popular. I'm glad you will get another in the series. Are you a quilter by chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been popular and I think the fact that a bunch of the libraries I've been to have almost all this series means that they are still checked out and popular with patrons. No, I'm not a quilter at all. Both my grandmothers were though and my mother made a few of them. Me, I can barely sew on a button - ha!

      Delete
  12. I haven't read this author though I've been wondering about her books. I'm fascinated by quilting (even though I don't do it myself) and this series looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice series, Katherine. Has a set of regular characters and then a bit of mystery, a lot of historical info, just good things. You might try it!

      Delete
  13. Coincidence! I am just starting the first book on a recommendation from my sister. She is going to a book signing by this author in May in Illinois. I think at a quilt shop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is at a quilt shop. I think the author has written a couple of books about quilting as well. I'd love to see her in person. Hope you sister has a good time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!