.

.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Waiting On Wednesday - The Dark Wives

 


'Waiting on Wednesday' is an event where I feature an upcoming book that I am extra excited about.  I used to do this in the past and am making it a priority to do again.  Seriously, who among us doesn't have a book or two or twenty that we are excited about reading?  Plus, it lets us 'spread the word' about authors and series that we personally enjoy.

The book I'm extra excited about this week will be the latest in Ann Cleeves' series featuring DI Vera Stanhope.  It's #11 and I'm really looking forward to reading it.  I've enjoyed not only the book series starring DI Stanhope but have also watched all the seasons of the TV adaptation - which is called 'Vera', of course.  Ha!  There are 13 seasons and I'm fairly certain the show is finished.  Brenda Blethyn announced that she is retiring from the role and honestly, no one else could play 'Vera'.  The book series will continue though.  And 'yay' for that.  

I have met Ann Cleeves at more than one book conference and talked with her a bit.  She's very friendly and is a big supporter of libraries.  When I met her the first time and she found that I had worked in that environment, she asked a lot of questions and it was very apparent that she loves libraries.  Have you read any of Ann's books or watched 'Vera' or 'Shetland'?  I recommend her works highly.



The Dark Wives

by Ann Cleeves

Publication Date:  August 27th

As New York Times bestseller Ann Cleeves's beloved Vera series explodes in popularity in print and on TV, this stunning eleventh book explores the web of secrets surrounding a young man's death.

The man’s body is found in the early morning light by a local dog walker in the park outside Rosebank, a home for troubled teens in the coastal village of Longwater. The victim is Josh, a staff member, who was due to work the previous night but never showed up.

DI Vera Stanhope is called out to investigate the death, with her only clue being the disappearance of one of the home’s residents, fourteen-year-old Chloe Spence. Vera can’t bring herself to believe that a teenager is responsible for the murder, but even she can’t dismiss the possibility.

Vera, Joe and new team member Rosie Bell, are soon embroiled in the case, and when a second connected body is found near the Three Dark Wives monument in the wilds of the Northumberland countryside, superstition and folklore begin to collide with fact. Vera knows she has to find Chloe to get to the truth, and the dark secrets in their community that may be far more dangerous than she could have ever believed possible.

26 comments:

  1. You know my opinion of Ann, Kay! I managed to get an ARC of this book, and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do know your opinion of Ann. She was so friendly that time we got to meet her. I'm very excited about this book for sure.

      Delete
  2. I read the first two of the Two Rivers series but that's it. I think I'll try to track down the Vera series to stream. I hope you love The Dark Wives.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I've read the Two Rivers series as well. I have not read the Shetland books, but I've watched the TV adaptation of that series. I think that Vera is on Britbox - either that or Acorn. Hope you enjoy it if you try it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this series or watched the show, but it's nice to know the character will continue on in the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am delighted about that. The series may be coming to a close as well, but we shall see. :-)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I hope so too, Mystica. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love Vera! I got a copy of Dark Wives from NetGalley and really enjoyed it. As usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great to hear, Jenclair. Can't wait!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I gather Brenda Blethyn is 78 and when I heard that I was staggered because she doesn't look it! She will be sadly missed as Vera. I watched the new Shetland a while back, the first without Dougie Henshall, and while I really enjoyed it, I did miss him quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, I also can't believe that Brenda is 78. I saw her at a mystery conference in 2018 and she was just lovely. Yes, I'll miss her too. And I watched the new Shetland and it was OK enough, but I definitely missed Doug Henshaw.

      Delete
  7. Can you believe I have never read her Vera books or watched the series? I did enjoy the Shetland series and read The Long Call and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle, I think you'd like the TV series.

      Delete
  8. This does sound like a really good one. I still haven't read any books in this series. But I want to. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, totally understood. Maybe one day, right? LOL

      Delete
  9. I have yet to read any of these books, but we just finished watching Season 13 of Vera. I recently read that there will be a 14th season, dropping in 2025. It's only going to have two feature-length episodes, so pretty short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...maybe Brenda's retirement will be after those two episodes. This year's season only had three episodes. Guess we shall see.

      Delete
  10. I haven't read this series or seen the show, but it sounds like I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be something for you to try eventually, Wendy. Vera, the TV show, does take a little getting used to. Vera is a bit crochety - ha!

      Delete
  11. Wow I didn't realize it had been going for 13 seasons! I've been living under a rock. I have not tried Vera yet in print or TV but seems like I should. I hope you enjoy Cleeves's new upcoming book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be a series that you'd like, Susan. I suspect that I will enjoy the new entry into the book series. ;-)

      Delete
  12. I'm SO behind on Cleeves' books. Hopefully, I'll catch up at some point. I happened to catch an episode of Vera while I was in the U.K. a few months ago and it was enjoyable. I don't watch tv at home, but I'm tempted by that series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV series is good, but the books are great too. Maybe one day for you, Susan. :-)

      Delete
  13. I'm glad to hear you love this series! I got the first two books recently during a Nook sale. I didn't realize there was a TV series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a TV series for sure. Hope to hear what you think about Vera and her team when you get around to reading about (or watching) them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!