.

.

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Waiting On Wednesday - This Is Why We Lied

 

'Waiting on Wednesday' is an event where I feature an upcoming book that I am extra excited about.  I used to do this in the past and am making it a priority to do again.  Seriously, who among us doesn't have a book or two or twenty that we are excited about reading?  Plus, it lets us 'spread the word' about authors and series that we personally enjoy.

I have enjoyed Karin Slaughter's Will Trent books for many years.  This newest one will be #12 in the series.  I'm a bit behind in my reading here so the August publication will hopefully let me catch up on the ones I haven't read as yet.  Some of you may know that there is an ABC series entitled 'Will Trent' and it is indeed based on the protagonist here.  I like it well enough.  I will warn you that the book 'Will Trent' and the TV 'Will Trent' are very different in many ways and yet, the adaptation has included a lot of characteristics that make Will himself.  Other characters from the TV series are extremely different from the books, but not all.  I'm probably confusing you.  I've read that Karin Slaughter herself is satisfied with the adaptation.  Me - well, I honestly just have to kind of think of them as different characters completely.  I don't say this to discourage you from trying the series if you haven't read it or visa versa.  In any case, I'm going to be looking forward to the new addition.  Have you read any of these or watched the TV show? 


This Is Why We Lied

by Karin Slaughter

Publication Date:  August 20th

Everyone here is a liar, but only one of us is a killer…

A secluded cabin retreat

For GBI investigator Will Trent and medical examiner Sara Linton, McAlpine Lodge seems like the ideal getaway to celebrate their honeymoon. Set on a gorgeous, off-the-grid mountaintop property, it’s the perfect place to unplug and reconnect. Until a bone-chilling scream cuts through the night.

A murderer in their midst

Mercy McAlpine, the manager of the Lodge, is dead. With a vicious storm raging and the one access road to the property washed out, the murderer must be someone on the mountain. But as Will and Sara investigate the McAlpine family and the other guests, they realize that everyone here is lying….Lying about their past. Lying to their family. Lying to themselves.

Who killed Mercy McAlpine?

It soon becomes clear that normal rules don’t apply at McAlpine Lodge, and Will and Sara are going to have to watch their step at every turn. Trapped on the resort, they must untangle a decades-old web of secrets to discover what happened to Mercy. And with the killer poised to strike again, the trip of a lifetime becomes a race against the clock…

19 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series (or watched the show), but this does sound like a good installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed this series for many years, Angela. I will say that Karin Slaughter is not shy about crimes though. A couple of our mystery group think she's a little graphic in that regard. Each of us has to decide on our tolerance. She tells a good story and one comes to love the characters.

      Delete
  2. Haven't read it, but it sounds good. I always love that isolated mountain setting in a mystery. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm the same. Will and Sara have come to this point over many books, as often happens in long-running series. I'm just going to be pleased to see them still together and still solving crimes.

      Delete
  3. I've read one book that featured Will Trent. Unseen, I think. I haven't seen the TV show, but it's tempting. This Is Why We Lied sounds like it will be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound good, doesn't it? Hope so. Thanks for coming by, Wendy.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the books, but I'm enjoying the TV series. Betty the chihuahua is one of my favorite characters. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention Betty - she's something else, isn't she? Glad you a liking the TV show. As I said, the books are a bit different. That's almost always the way though.

      Delete
  5. I love the anticipation of a good read almost as much as I enjoy the actual read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that, Deb. And then there's the part about remembering that it has actually been published and getting it. LOL

      Delete
  6. I have never read books by this author. I should give her a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mystery group has only read one. It's the book and author that Judy refers to. LOL

      Delete
    2. Yep. I think Judy scared me off. lol

      Delete
  7. I've read a couple of her books but I think they've been standalones and I had no idea there was a tv series based on one of her characters. I may have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try it and see what you think, Iliana. As Diana says above, there's a cute dog named Betty. LOL

      Delete
  8. I haven't read this series but I've seen some previews for the show and thought it looked interesting. I definitely want to give this series a try. I've read one book by the author and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Will Trent character, but I will warn you that the crimes are a little grim. Hope you like the books if you try them.

      Delete
  9. I read one of Slaughter's standalones and thought it had too much middle. I'm tempted to try one of her WIll Trents because I've been enjoying the TV series so much. (I'm a Betty fan, too.) And no, I don't expect the books to be like the TV series. (You know this ain't my first rodeo. *wink*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, as I said, the books are definitely different. That usually happens though with TV adaptations. Or frequently is probably better. Though Vera and Walt Longmire are good on TV.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!