.

.

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Hey, it's June!!

Hello book friends.  I'm glad to say 'welcome to summer' to all of you.  Hope you are doing well and enjoying the seasonal things in your part of the world.  Here at my house - well, it's June - it's hot and muggy.  No surprise there.  However, our part of Texas has had a lot more rain this year than in recent years and so the grass and wildflowers and especially the lakes are in better shape.  Our lakes have been way, way down for several years and so even though the rain can bring thunderstorms and wind and hail at times, the downpours are very welcome.

We've been a bit busy with some things and though I've been reading (and will update with some book thoughts later this week), I just haven't felt the blog post writing vibe for a bit.  That happens with me, but I do so much enjoy reading what all of you have been up to.  As I said, I'm planning on doing another post later this week and will share some book stuff.  I recently attended an author event in our area and will also tell about our mystery book group meeting tonight.  The June meeting is always a fun one as everyone reads 'Mystery Award-winning or nominated' books and one always comes away with a great list of books to try. 

I am going to share a few pictures today of the bluebonnets we had in our yard earlier in the spring.  I had promised to do that and I also have a couple of shots of cactus blooms.  And I have a sweet picture that I took today of a couple of fawn twins that were in the area behind us.  There were actually three fawns out there, but I could only get two in the shot without actually going outside and startling them.

Here are the lovely bluebonnets.  Two pictures below.  We have been working on getting a new plan for some updated landscaping at our house, so this will be the only year we'll have these exactly like this.

  


  

This has been a banner year for flowers in Texas this year.  Even the cactus have been blooming profusely.  Love this!





Lastly, here are the cute and precious little fawns.  Don't you love them?  Not everyone understands about letting the deer (and their fawns) be wild.  Many people worry when the mother deer tuck their babies away and go forage for food.  People think that the mothers have abandoned them.  Don't think that ever happens.  We always tell people to leave the fawns alone.  The moms will come back for them.


  I'll post again soon.  Enjoy your reading!!


33 comments:

  1. We, too, have had an unusual amount of rain and our flowers are benefitting. Love the bluebonnets, Kay! Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenclair! I know that some of the rain has moved on from our area to your area. Now if we can just avoid hurricanes or bigger storms, right? LOL

      Delete
  2. Lovely pics, Kay.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! I appreciate it from you as well.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, Kay! Glad to hear you've been keeping busy, and hopefully staying cool! I always love seeing pictures of flowers. Last year we had three fawns basically living between our backyard and our neighbors, but haven't seen any this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow - three fawns at your place too. Yes, sometimes they are around and some years you don't see them as much. This year has been a big one for the little deer.

      Delete
  4. Our weather in So Cal has been interesting too. We had more rain this season than the last four years combined. We are currently out of a drought. But last week I came home and my hillside was on fire!! It just started to warm up for us and that happens. Ugh. Fire season here is brutal and there is so much more to burn now since everything grew! Loved the photos you shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment above is from me :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, Ti! I'm so sorry about the fire - I do know that your area has a bunch of them. I read an article here this week about the fact that the larger amount of grass will mean there is more fuel for fires later in the summer. I believe that, but it was a little depressing to read. I'm just happy for the green grass and flowers!

      Delete
  5. Happy June! I love those bluebonnets and that blooming pink cactus flower is beautiful. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, thanks! Yes, I thought that cactus was so pretty.

      Delete
  6. The fawn twins are adorable. I love cactus blooms! I forget that they can do that, and such pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget about cactus blooms too. And then they are always a surprise. :-)

      Delete
  7. It's good to hear from you, Kay, and your early summer photos are beautiful! We're back in CT now, where summer is just beginning. Glad to hear you've been enjoying your reading and I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, happy that you guys are back in the 'north regions'. Hope you enjoy your summer there!

      Delete
  8. All of those photos are lovely. I always love to see cactus blooms. And the photo of the fawns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! Yes, those fawns are just precious.

      Delete
  9. Somehow my comment got published before I finished. My fingers do bizarre things on the keyboard sometimes. I just wanted to say also that it is good to hear from you and I hope your summer is happy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm laughing. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  10. Welcome back. Your Bluebonnet pictures remind me of one of the final segments in the "Young Sheldon" TV series in which the older Sheldon remembers having to pose with his siblings amidst a field of bluebonnets in order to satisfy their mother. I think most kids (including my own and my grandkids) who grew up in this part of Texas know exactly what that was like. Still today, we make a run through Brenham to see how the year's crop has bloomed. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sam, I'm not surprised that the bluebonnets provoke some good memories for you. I agree that most kids that have grown up here have probably had at least a few pictures taken among these beautiful flowers. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hope you are staying as cool as you can, though it is summer now, right? Ha!

      Delete
  11. Oh, look at all those beautiful bluebonnets!! I love your tiered flower bed with the stone (Austin stone?) retaining walls. The cactus is so beautiful, too. Those fawns are sweet with all their markings. No deer around here lately, but the raccoons are still out and about. :( Nasty creatures. I'd rather have deer.

    Our plants are doing well from all of our rain, too. I don't think I've ever see such an abundance of blossoms on all of the rhoddies in our neighborhood. Our weather has finally begun to feel more like summer is just about here. Mild temps, but the sun is shining, which makes me very happy. Glad to see you posting, my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Les! We had a raccoon on the back porch just last night apparently (caught it on the camera there). The flower bed is nice and though we will be making some changes to the landscaping, that feature is going to stay. Just different plants. A lot of the ones that are here now are more than a bit overgrown and we're needing to make some updates to the irrigation, etc.

      Delete
  12. We are in a similar situation here with the amount of rain we have gotten this past winter and the water levels are decent. It's been heating up here, but it's not too bad yet. Your bluebonnets are beautiful! I love seeing the spring colors in everyone's gardens this time of year. I look forward to learning about what you are reading when you next post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Wendy! Appreciate your kind thoughts. I'm going to try to get my reading update post written in a couple of days.

      Delete
  13. So good to see you back blogging! We did have a great spring for wildflowers didn't we? It's so hot already though and I was listening to the news the other day and they were predicting this will be a very hot summer. Ugh. I'm ready to go into fall! haha... Can't wait to hear more about your gardening adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a hot summer to come. Though I keep telling myself that it's summer - it's hot - it's always hot - yada, yada, yada. LOL

      Delete
  14. Glad you're back ... and love seeing the blooms! Happy June.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!