.

.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Dark and Twisted Tide by Sharon Bolton

A Dark and Twisted Tide is the 4th book in the Lacey Flint mystery series.  It was written by Sharon Bolton, formerly known as S. J. Bolton (what is it about women writers feeling the need or pressure to use initials in their writing - a discussion for another day).  It's been a while since I read the previous book, Lost, and I wondered how much I would remember about where we left things.  I needn't have worried as I was quickly caught up in the story.

After the trauma and difficulties of the three previous books, Lacey Flint decides that she cannot be a detective any longer.  She asks for a transfer back into uniform and joins the River Police.  She has moved her residence to a houseboat on the Thames and she totally embraces that whole life, even to the point of swimming in the Thames on a regular basis.  Lacey seems to feel somewhat content.  Her relationship with DI Mark Joesbury is temporarily on hold while he is deep undercover and out of contact with everyone.  The riverboat community is definitely different and she makes friends, has a small canoe to paddle around in, adjusts to new colleagues.  And then a body appears.

While swimming early one morning, Lacey comes across a woman's body, wrapped up in a sort of linen cloth and secured to a piling.  Dead bodies are not unusual in the Thames and this doesn't seem all that strange until it's discovered that the body was placed in that position so that Lacey could find it.  And then other odd things happen - little gifts are left on her boat - more bodies appear and she feels like someone is watching her.  Lacey ends up working again with her old colleagues, led by Dana Tulloch.  Women are being smuggled in from other countries and many are ending up dead in the river.  Everything comes back to the river and the people who live along and on it.

I enjoyed this book and loved catching up with Lacey, Joesbury, Dana and other characters.  Their lives are changing and progressing and several of them have some big decisions to make.  The main focus of life on the river, the houseboats, and small craft was intriguing.  You could almost smell and feel it.  There were lots of startling scenes with odd creatures that jumped out and grabbed people.  There were crabs scuttling around and there were rats - ick!!  I kept feeling like I needed to look over my shoulder and if many of these scenes had been adapted for TV or movie, there would certainly have been spooky music.  And Lacey kept finding these dead bodies that were wrapped up like mummies.  Quite a vivid setting and one I won't soon forget.

I give this book two thumbs up and I'm hoping that we will soon see Lacey and her cohorts again.  However, the next book by Sharon Bolton has recently been published, Little Black Lies, and it is a standalone.  Looking forward to reading it soon.  

16 comments:

  1. I love this series! For some reason I haven't read this book yet but it's definitely onto my priority list! I can't wait to read Little Black Lies, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to start Little Black Lies and then realized I hadn't read this one yet. Changed my book. I'll get to the other one before long.

      Delete
  2. I'm not familiar with this series but it sure sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting series, Kathy. Very suspenseful.

      Delete
  3. I have this author on my TBR because you've recommended her in the past but this sounds like a seriously page turning mystery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, if a little creepy crawly. LOL

      Delete
  4. Great review Kay. This sounds like an intense series. I'm glad you enjoyed the latest release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an intense series, Pat. Maybe not for everyone, but I have loved it.

      Delete
  5. I will be reading a stand alone by this author later this month (or early next, if things continue the way they are. I'm excited to finally be giving her a try. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to start the stand alone, Little Black Lies, and then figured out I had neglected to read this one. Decided to change my book. Will be glad to hear what you think of Little Black Lies. Am hearing good, good things about it.

      Delete
  6. This series sounds good, but I'd probably go for the standalone to try a new-to-me author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's called Little Black Lies if you want to try it, JoAnn. :-)

      Delete
  7. I loved Little Black Lies so I'd certainly be willing to try this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, Darlene. I've enjoyed each book in it.

      Delete
  8. I liked this one, too! I think it was the best in the Lacy Flint series, but Little Black Lies (the stand-alone) is the best Bolton has written so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping that in mind when I get to it. Looking forward to reading about the Falklands.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!