.

.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Scene of the Climb by Kate Dyer-Seeley

Scene of the Climb is the first book in Kate Dyer-Seeley's cozy mystery series that is set in Portland, Oregon - one of my favorite places!  I was so glad to get to discover Kate and her series when she was on a panel at Left Coast Crime.  The panel was Murder in the Great Outdoors and this series definitely includes a murder and the great Oregon outdoors.

So what's Scene of the Climb about - well, let me tell you.  Meg Reed has grown up in the Portland area, the daughter of an investigative reporter for the local 'big' newspaper.  Her father was well known in those circles, but he was killed in a tragic accident.  Meg got her degree in journalism just in time for the 'big' paper to begin laying off reporters.  She needs a job badly and so through a set of quirky circumstances involving a pink umbrella, she's offered a chance to work for Greg Dixon, editor of Northwest Extreme magazine.  Portland is filled with interesting people - some are definite outdoor enthusiasts and some are more into the brewpubs, great food, and hipster fashions.  Guess which type Meg is - hint: she wears lots of pink and has a fear of heights - oh, and she loves beer.

Regardless, Meg is resolved to do a good job for the magazine and she's pretty sure she can bluff her way through any 'extreme' stories that she's assigned.  She really didn't count on having to write about a new reality TV show that's all about adventure.  She also didn't count on having to follow the TV crew and contestants through the Columbia Gorge, climbing slippery trails, trying not to look over the ledges at the beautiful vistas.  Meg is struggling to catch up with everyone when she witnesses a man plummeting over a cliff.  What has happened?  Is he dead?  Was he pushed?  After speaking with the sheriff and telling all she knows, Meg finds herself wondering how this 'accident' occurred and whether the feeling she has that someone is following her is real.  Did she catch something in the photos that she snapped?  What about the slight glimpse of someone off the trail?  As Meg begins to channel some of her father's investigative talents, she's about to find out that murder is another kind of 'extreme sport'.

It's been quite a while since I read a cozy mystery and this was a good place to begin again.  I loved the Oregon descriptions that Kate Dyer-Seeley included in this book.  She took us through the city of Portland and then up and down the Columbia Gorge, making me remember and see that gorgeous area throughout the book.  Once upon a time, we lived in Portland for about 3 years.  We traveled all over that area, across to Washington and north to Seattle, from the Pacific and wonderful Oregon Coast to the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains and the dry places located in that part of the state.  The Columbia Gorge is really beautiful at all times of the year.  I have pictures of Mount Hood, Mount St. Helen's, and Multnomah Falls all over my office/library here at home.  As I was reading about them, I was glancing up over and over to smile and think how much I enjoyed living in the Pacific Northwest for that short period of time.  So, I can give a big thumbs up to this author's Oregon setting.

I liked Meg and thought she was quite funny.  She misses her father, doesn't get along very well with her mother, and then there's her Gam (her grandmother).  Gam too fits right in to certain aspects of this area.  She's a 'new ager', a shaman, a Reiki healer, and all about crystals and zapping you with special energy.  Meg is a newbie to the extreme sports world, but she is a good reporter.  She asks the right questions, but probably puts herself in harm's way too often.  She'll learn.  I had the solution figured out fairly early on, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the setting and getting to know Meg, her friends, and her world.

I look forward to the next book in the series, Slayed On The Slopes.  It takes place on Mt. Hood and involves an elite rescue squad and winter weather.  And the 3rd book will be published next week.  It's entitled Silenced in the Surf.  Picture windsurfing in Hood River.  I am not an extreme sports participant myself, but I'll sure have a good time reading about those who are - plus a little crime and murder.        

26 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I like to wind down with the occasional cosy mystery but many of them are too gimmicky for me these days, this sounds like the right kind of mix and I've always wanted to go back to Portland - virtually will do for now until I can manage another overseas trip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand what you mean about some of the cozies. I can only read a couple and then have to do something darker. Is that backwards? LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty new to cozy mysteries, but am convinced setting is a big part of their appeal. It's easy to understand why you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you love the setting or know something about it, the story is always a little more interesting.

      Delete
  3. There are all sorts of cozy mysteries. Too sweet, too light--I don't enjoy, but if the characters are well done and the setting is interesting, I enjoy returning to a cozy series. That feeling of familiarity can be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really enjoyed all the Portland locations. It was like a mini-Oregon vacation for me. :-)

      Delete
  4. I love the sound of this one. I don't read many cozy mysteries but this one sounds like plenty of fun to read. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny and I think part of my enjoyment was nodding my head about locations.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I'm not an extreme sports person either but like you I liked reading about them and I think it helped that Meg isn't exactly athletic herself! I've read the 2nd one and have the 3rd coming up. I can't wait! I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the second one before long. I loved having a view of Mt. Hood from an upstairs window of the house we lived in there. Snow covered mountain view year round. :-)

      Delete
  6. Sounds cute! I especially like the idea of a non-extreme sports person having to cover extreme sports. I'm sure that made for some humorous scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did make for some funny stuff. I have a lot in common with Meg, being a bit sports phobic myself. LOL

      Delete
  7. So, guess what? I grew up in the Columbia River Gorge. My parents' house has a perfect view of Mt. Hood -- I got to enjoy its beauty every day. I love the Gorge. It's the most beautiful place in the world and I miss it dearly.

    I'll have to check this one out. The setting is PERFECT, but the plot sounds interesting, too. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I think I knew that you were originally from Oregon. We must have talked about it at one time or another. You'd love the setting here. Made me want to jump on a plane and get right on up there.

      Delete
  8. I bet it was fun reading about an area you lived in. And such lovely scenery in that area. I don't read many cozies but I have some I plan to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like humor along with a great setting, this would be a good one to try.

      Delete
  9. I love first in series! I like cozies now and then, and this sounds like a fun one, Kay. I am glad you enjoyed it. I want to read this one just for the setting, although the rest of it interests me as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a good time with it and look forward to book #2 very soon.

      Delete
  10. I've to admit I rarely read cozy mysteries but this one sounds like it has a great premise and not to mention an interesting setting too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten away from cozies in the last several years, but after talking with a bunch of cozy authors at the LCC conference, it made me want to pick up a few again. Sometimes, they are a lot of fun.

      Delete
  11. Yay! I love this series and found this to be such a fun book! I have the third book and am planning on reading it after I finish my current read. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the second book! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got #2 on my Kindle and will try it in the next couple of weeks. I know that #3 comes out next week.

      Delete
  12. I have this book in my TBR stack. The "outdoorsy" theme caught my attention (though I'm not exactly outdoorsy myself!). Glad to hear it was a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a lot of fun and I had great sympathy for the main character. That would be me in the same situation!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy to hear your thoughts and will respond as soon as I can. Happy Reading!